Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > SYSPREP and Ghost Question

Reply
Thread Tools

SYSPREP and Ghost Question

 
 
Techie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2004
I am wondering if anyone here can offer some advice on using Ghost to create
images of Windows XP laptops and desktops that have been prepped using
Sysprep. What I would like to do is create "recovery CD" type CDs to install
on new PCs and Laptops to prepare them for deployment as quickly as
possible.

I am using Norton Ghost Enterprise Edition Version 7.0 and have no problem
preparing a boot disk to map a shared drive to store the images but they end
up being like 2 to 3 GBs in size. Any ideas?

--
Techie
MCNGP #21


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Netwerkz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2004

"Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsM1Lb.52507$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I am wondering if anyone here can offer some advice on using Ghost to

create
> images of Windows XP laptops and desktops that have been prepped using
> Sysprep. What I would like to do is create "recovery CD" type CDs to

install
> on new PCs and Laptops to prepare them for deployment as quickly as
> possible.
>
> I am using Norton Ghost Enterprise Edition Version 7.0 and have no problem
> preparing a boot disk to map a shared drive to store the images but they

end
> up being like 2 to 3 GBs in size. Any ideas?
>
> --
> Techie
> MCNGP #21
>
>

PowerQuest's Drive Image / Deploy Center offers an options
to span an image across multiple files (specify 650 - 700 MB for
each file) which can be burned to multiple CDs.

I'm sure Ghost 7 must have a similar option.

I have thougt about putting the images on DVD
but not all our PCs/laptops have DVD readers and
I'm not even sure it would work as I don't know that
DVD's follow the same El Torito bootup style as CDs.
Worth a try if you have time (or if i do for that matter)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Techie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2004
Thanks I will take a look at the product you mentioned as well as having
another look at Ghost

--
Techie
MCNGP #21
"Netwerkz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vQ2Lb.245975$8y1.1139846@attbi_s52...
>
> "Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsM1Lb.52507$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > I am wondering if anyone here can offer some advice on using Ghost to

> create
> > images of Windows XP laptops and desktops that have been prepped using
> > Sysprep. What I would like to do is create "recovery CD" type CDs to

> install
> > on new PCs and Laptops to prepare them for deployment as quickly as
> > possible.
> >
> > I am using Norton Ghost Enterprise Edition Version 7.0 and have no

problem
> > preparing a boot disk to map a shared drive to store the images but they

> end
> > up being like 2 to 3 GBs in size. Any ideas?
> >
> > --
> > Techie
> > MCNGP #21
> >
> >

> PowerQuest's Drive Image / Deploy Center offers an options
> to span an image across multiple files (specify 650 - 700 MB for
> each file) which can be burned to multiple CDs.
>
> I'm sure Ghost 7 must have a similar option.
>
> I have thougt about putting the images on DVD
> but not all our PCs/laptops have DVD readers and
> I'm not even sure it would work as I don't know that
> DVD's follow the same El Torito bootup style as CDs.
> Worth a try if you have time (or if i do for that matter)
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2004
Ghost 7.5 definitely does allow spanning of cd's. Not sure about 7 though.
You could always keep the images on a network share.

"Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Gy3Lb.53180$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Thanks I will take a look at the product you mentioned as well as having
> another look at Ghost
>
> --
> Techie
> MCNGP #21
> "Netwerkz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vQ2Lb.245975$8y1.1139846@attbi_s52...
> >
> > "Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsM1Lb.52507$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > > I am wondering if anyone here can offer some advice on using Ghost to

> > create
> > > images of Windows XP laptops and desktops that have been prepped using
> > > Sysprep. What I would like to do is create "recovery CD" type CDs to

> > install
> > > on new PCs and Laptops to prepare them for deployment as quickly as
> > > possible.
> > >
> > > I am using Norton Ghost Enterprise Edition Version 7.0 and have no

> problem
> > > preparing a boot disk to map a shared drive to store the images but

they
> > end
> > > up being like 2 to 3 GBs in size. Any ideas?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Techie
> > > MCNGP #21
> > >
> > >

> > PowerQuest's Drive Image / Deploy Center offers an options
> > to span an image across multiple files (specify 650 - 700 MB for
> > each file) which can be burned to multiple CDs.
> >
> > I'm sure Ghost 7 must have a similar option.
> >
> > I have thougt about putting the images on DVD
> > but not all our PCs/laptops have DVD readers and
> > I'm not even sure it would work as I don't know that
> > DVD's follow the same El Torito bootup style as CDs.
> > Worth a try if you have time (or if i do for that matter)
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2004
Ive done exactly what you want to do using 7.0 and it
works fine.
>-----Original Message-----
>Ghost 7.5 definitely does allow spanning of cd's. Not

sure about 7 though.
>You could always keep the images on a network share.
>
>"Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Gy3Lb.53180$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> Thanks I will take a look at the product you mentioned

as well as having
>> another look at Ghost
>>
>> --
>> Techie
>> MCNGP #21
>> "Netwerkz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:vQ2Lb.245975$8y1.1139846@attbi_s52...
>> >
>> > "Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > newsM1Lb.52507$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> > > I am wondering if anyone here can offer some

advice on using Ghost to
>> > create
>> > > images of Windows XP laptops and desktops that

have been prepped using
>> > > Sysprep. What I would like to do is

create "recovery CD" type CDs to
>> > install
>> > > on new PCs and Laptops to prepare them for

deployment as quickly as
>> > > possible.
>> > >
>> > > I am using Norton Ghost Enterprise Edition Version

7.0 and have no
>> problem
>> > > preparing a boot disk to map a shared drive to

store the images but
>they
>> > end
>> > > up being like 2 to 3 GBs in size. Any ideas?
>> > >
>> > > --
>> > > Techie
>> > > MCNGP #21
>> > >
>> > >
>> > PowerQuest's Drive Image / Deploy Center offers an

options
>> > to span an image across multiple files (specify 650 -

700 MB for
>> > each file) which can be burned to multiple CDs.
>> >
>> > I'm sure Ghost 7 must have a similar option.
>> >
>> > I have thougt about putting the images on DVD
>> > but not all our PCs/laptops have DVD readers and
>> > I'm not even sure it would work as I don't know that
>> > DVD's follow the same El Torito bootup style as CDs.
>> > Worth a try if you have time (or if i do for that

matter)
>> >
>> >

>>
>>

>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2004
I use Ghost 7.5 at work and run the images off a network share. At home I
use Ghost 2003 and store my images on DVD/CD. (You can split an image
accross multiple disks - Ghost does this automatically for you.)
Ghost does not support writing to DVD-RW disks for my CD writer though
(Sony). +RW's work ok and -R disks work ok. No problems with CD-RW's or
CD-R disks.
I've not tested ghost 7 or 7.5 for creating images to CD.

NB - You use ghost to create the image directly onto the CD using a special
boot disk. You also have the option to copy the boot files to the CD/DVD
when your finished.

Hope this helps!

***Ghost is a REAL life saver!!***

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:023b01c3d618$41cfc340$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ive done exactly what you want to do using 7.0 and it
> works fine.
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Ghost 7.5 definitely does allow spanning of cd's. Not

> sure about 7 though.
> >You could always keep the images on a network share.
> >
> >"Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:Gy3Lb.53180$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> >> Thanks I will take a look at the product you mentioned

> as well as having
> >> another look at Ghost
> >>
> >> --
> >> Techie
> >> MCNGP #21
> >> "Netwerkz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:vQ2Lb.245975$8y1.1139846@attbi_s52...
> >> >
> >> > "Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> > newsM1Lb.52507$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> >> > > I am wondering if anyone here can offer some

> advice on using Ghost to
> >> > create
> >> > > images of Windows XP laptops and desktops that

> have been prepped using
> >> > > Sysprep. What I would like to do is

> create "recovery CD" type CDs to
> >> > install
> >> > > on new PCs and Laptops to prepare them for

> deployment as quickly as
> >> > > possible.
> >> > >
> >> > > I am using Norton Ghost Enterprise Edition Version

> 7.0 and have no
> >> problem
> >> > > preparing a boot disk to map a shared drive to

> store the images but
> >they
> >> > end
> >> > > up being like 2 to 3 GBs in size. Any ideas?
> >> > >
> >> > > --
> >> > > Techie
> >> > > MCNGP #21
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> > PowerQuest's Drive Image / Deploy Center offers an

> options
> >> > to span an image across multiple files (specify 650 -

> 700 MB for
> >> > each file) which can be burned to multiple CDs.
> >> >
> >> > I'm sure Ghost 7 must have a similar option.
> >> >
> >> > I have thougt about putting the images on DVD
> >> > but not all our PCs/laptops have DVD readers and
> >> > I'm not even sure it would work as I don't know that
> >> > DVD's follow the same El Torito bootup style as CDs.
> >> > Worth a try if you have time (or if i do for that

> matter)
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>

> >
> >
> >.
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
J.R.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2004
FAT32 has a limitation of a 2 gigabyte partition therefore
Ghost will split the image at 2 gig since Ghost is run in
a Dos environment...
I use DVD's making the DVD bootable. With a little
manipulation of Ghost command line switches you can
automate the process.


>-----Original Message-----
>I am wondering if anyone here can offer some advice on

using Ghost to create
>images of Windows XP laptops and desktops that have been

prepped using
>Sysprep. What I would like to do is create "recovery CD"

type CDs to install
>on new PCs and Laptops to prepare them for deployment as

quickly as
>possible.
>
>I am using Norton Ghost Enterprise Edition Version 7.0

and have no problem
>preparing a boot disk to map a shared drive to store the

images but they end
>up being like 2 to 3 GBs in size. Any ideas?
>
>--
>Techie
>MCNGP #21
>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Netwerkz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2004

"J.R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:02e501c3d6dd$f7da2110$(E-Mail Removed)...
> FAT32 has a limitation of a 2 gigabyte partition therefore
> Ghost will split the image at 2 gig since Ghost is run in
> a Dos environment...
> I use DVD's making the DVD bootable. With a little
> manipulation of Ghost command line switches you can
> automate the process.

[snipped]

FAT16 has a 2GB limit.

You confirmed it - can make bootable DVDs - cool!

Have you had any compatibility problems with the image
on DVD when you use it across different DVD readers?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Producting Ghost bootable CD with ghost image on BertieBigBollox@gmail.com Computer Support 0 09-19-2007 10:26 AM
sysprep and wireless cinfig mat Wireless Networking 0 08-29-2006 11:52 PM
I used ghost to mirror my C: drive, worked fine, but now when I double-click C: in 'my computer' it opens Ghost. wtf??? jeff Computer Support 7 05-08-2005 07:23 PM
SysPrep and Ghost question Techie A+ Certification 1 01-09-2004 09:30 PM
How to make a bootable Ghost CD with Norton Ghost 2003 van A+ Certification 2 10-14-2003 07:53 PM



Advertisments