Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Fix for an old 'Puter

Fix for an old 'Puter

Dave

We had a power outage today when I came home and my old Pent ][ 450MHz w/
128MB Ram running Windose 2000 was dead.
I have a hard drive ticking and the monitor saying "OS not Found" on
restart. (I know the drive is toast)

Is there anyway to get it back up? Or, have I lost everything on that drive?
I'd like to save the data since I was running a Web server and a MySQL
server off of it.

for example: could I use Norton to clone the drive? and then FDISK /MBR on
an NTFS drive?
Or, can I use a Win98 Boot disk and do FDISK /MBR on a NTFS drive?

Whats a good way to bring it back alive? or again, am I wasting time on
trying to do so?

Dave

Oksana Gutteridge

In news:%d3Dh.4365$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net,
Dave <daveNOSPAMnNOSPAMmanvel@HoT_NO_SPAMmail.com> typed:
> We had a power outage today when I came home and my old Pent ][
> 450MHz w/ 128MB Ram running Windose 2000 was dead.
> I have a hard drive ticking and the monitor saying "OS not Found" on
> restart. (I know the drive is toast)
>
> Is there anyway to get it back up? Or, have I lost everything on that
> drive? I'd like to save the data since I was running a Web server and
> a MySQL server off of it.
>
> for example: could I use Norton to clone the drive? and then FDISK
> /MBR on an NTFS drive?
> Or, can I use a Win98 Boot disk and do FDISK /MBR on a NTFS drive?

How would you do that if the drive is toast?

> Whats a good way to bring it back alive? or again, am I wasting time
> on trying to do so?

Check whether the drive is toast. The drive manufacturer's drive checker
might tell you.

If it can be brought to life, clone it. If it can't, use your back-up copy
(the copy you kept aside in case the drive died so that it wouldn't be a
complete disaster).

Walter Mautner

Dave wrote:

> We had a power outage today when I came home and my old Pent ][ 450MHz w/
> 128MB Ram running Windose 2000 was dead.
> I have a hard drive ticking and the monitor saying "OS not Found" on
> restart. (I know the drive is toast)
>
> Is there anyway to get it back up? Or, have I lost everything on that
> drive? I'd like to save the data since I was running a Web server and a
> MySQL server off of it.
>
> for example: could I use Norton to clone the drive? and then FDISK /MBR on
> an NTFS drive?
> Or, can I use a Win98 Boot disk and do FDISK /MBR on a NTFS drive?
>
> Whats a good way to bring it back alive? or again, am I wasting time on
> trying to do so?

You may try to
- first let the drive cool down and maybe rest
- jumper it as slave or put it on a 2nd ide channel
- see if the bios can detect your drive. Turn off DMA.
- fire up ghost from a bootdisk/floppy with the switch for bad-sectors (/?
helps) and copy/image the drive over to another good one on that other
computer or your old one.

Dave

| You may try to
| - first let the drive cool down and maybe rest
| - jumper it as slave or put it on a 2nd ide channel
| - see if the bios can detect your drive. Turn off DMA.
| - fire up ghost from a bootdisk/floppy with the switch for bad-sectors (/?
| helps) and copy/image the drive over to another good one on that other
| computer or your old one.

Yes, BIOS detects the drive.... it just "Tick-Tick-Tick" from I guess the
bad sector it received when the Power went out....
(Guess it's time to get the cable to connect to the UPS to tell the PC to
shut sown properly. I have about 10 min battery power on it.)

Kewl!

Thanks Walter.... Thats what I thought... I had to ask before I dove in
and really messed up that drive...

Dave

"| The drive manufacturer's drive checker
| might tell you.

Its a 10 GIG drive... Seagate doesn't support 10 GIG anymore

Oksana Gutteridge

In newsI5Dh.5087$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net,
Dave <daveNOSPAMnNOSPAMmanvel@HoT_NO_SPAMmail.com> typed:
> "| The drive manufacturer's drive checker
>> might tell you.

> Its a 10 GIG drive... Seagate doesn't support 10 GIG anymore

Try this link -
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

elaich

Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You may try to
> - first let the drive cool down and maybe rest

As a last resort, put the drive in the freezer for about 12 hours, then put
it back in the computer. It worked for me. Get what you can off it as fast
as possible.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Oksana Gutteridge

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
elaich <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> You may try to
>> - first let the drive cool down and maybe rest

> As a last resort, put the drive in the freezer for about 12 hours,
> then put it back in the computer. It worked for me. Get what you can
> off it as fast as possible.

Put it in a plastic bag first.

elaich

"Oksana Gutteridge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:erjcd4$a3r$1
@news.albasani.net:

> Put it in a plastic bag first.

Yes, of course. I forgot that part. Thanks.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

WhzzKdd

Oksana Gutteridge wrote:
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> elaich <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>> Walter Mautner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> You may try to
>>> - first let the drive cool down and maybe rest

>> As a last resort, put the drive in the freezer for about 12 hours,
>> then put it back in the computer. It worked for me. Get what you can
>> off it as fast as possible.

> Put it in a plastic bag first.

What? Worry about condensation? <g>