Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > spyware attack

spyware attack

don

I had this spyware on my winxp (spydawn) comp and so I formatted my
harddrive and reinstalled my software - and put my Norton firewall backup -
but I"m still getting this popup message every so often about how my comp
registry is corrupted and that I should log in to this website to fix it -
how can I figure out where this cookie or what ever it is is coming from?
Can I change my IP address?

Leythos

In article <erdtov$eej$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I had this spyware on my winxp (spydawn) comp and so I formatted my
> harddrive and reinstalled my software - and put my Norton firewall backup -
> but I"m still getting this popup message every so often about how my comp
> registry is corrupted and that I should log in to this website to fix it -
> how can I figure out where this cookie or what ever it is is coming from?
> Can I change my IP address?

Did you really WIPE your computer?

If you're still infected after formatting the drive is sounds like you
either didn't really format it or you reinstalled something you saved
from the compromised machine.

What is the POP-UP?

Is it a messenger pop-up or some other pop-up?

Are you using a NAT Router or directly connected to the internet?

*** WARNING - these links contain foul/pornographic content of an
website ***
http://www.pcbutts1.com/rlk/rlk.htm ,
http://www.pcbutts1.com/license.htm ,
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/max.htm ,
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/mpv.htm ,
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/wtcpcb.htm ,
http://www.pcbutts1.com/cracks.htm ,
http://www.pcbutts1.com/Loutheasshole.htm
All while spamming his company website at: http://www.seedsv.com

Evan Platt

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

>Can I change my IP address?

What would that accomplish?

Daave

don wrote:
> I had this spyware on my winxp (spydawn) comp and so I formatted my
> harddrive

That wasn't necessary. For future reference, instructions to remove
spydawn can be found at:

> and reinstalled my software - and put my Norton firewall
> backup - but I"m still getting this popup message every so often
> about how my comp registry is corrupted and that I should log in to
> this website to fix it

You definitely should *not* visit that Web site! Although you neglected
to provide specifics, I'll bet what you're describing is an example of
Messenger Service spam. And if that's the case, then your firewall isn't
working properly. Enable your firewall, and those popups should
disappear. Still, post back with the *exact* message in order to receive
better feedback.

> Can I change my IP address?

You would need to ask your ISP. Chances are, though, whether or not you
change your IP address won't make any difference regarding malware.

--
Dave

don

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
>
> >Can I change my IP address?

> What would that accomplish?

Thanks - the directions in that link seemed to stop the popup message - but
how come my Norton Firewall was letting someone send me that cookie or
popup?

Coco

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:erdtov$eej$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had this spyware on my winxp (spydawn) comp and so I formatted my
> harddrive and reinstalled my software - and put my Norton firewall
> backup -
> but I"m still getting this popup message every so often about how my comp
> registry is corrupted and that I should log in to this website to fix it -
> how can I figure out where this cookie or what ever it is is coming from?
> Can I change my IP address?

Norton didn't protect you before you formatted, what made you believe it
would protect you after re-installing? Dump it and get AVG, or something.
The data you backed up and restored probably contains a bug.
Put you data on an external drive, have AVG scan it. Then do another clean
install of the XP and this time skip Norton. While you're at it, download
Mozilla Firefox and set it as your default browser.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 01:15:53 -0500, "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks - the directions in that link seemed to stop the popup message

That's what it should do.

>but how come my Norton Firewall was letting someone send me that cookie or
>popup?

Because Norton wasn't configured correctly. Norton is bloatware. As
CoCo suggested, drop Norton. There's much better and cheaper
alternatives.

Leythos

In article <ere3mn$i5a$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
> >
> > >Can I change my IP address?

> > What would that accomplish?

> Thanks - the directions in that link seemed to stop the popup message - but
> how come my Norton Firewall was letting someone send me that cookie or
> popup?

Norton would normally block something like that, but, since you
misconfigured norton the first time, what makes you think that you would
not misconfigure it the second time?