Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless Laptop Network Card Q

Wireless Laptop Network Card Q

TGS

I just bought a Belkin Wireless Laptop Network Card Adapter - 54g.for
my laptop and now want to buy a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G
Router I see there is a few on eBay with 125g on the box. Would
this
still be compatible or would I have to buy the one with 54g. Not
knowing much about it I suppose I would not benefit the extra speed
if
I only have a 54g on the laptop would this be right?

Cheers
Tracey

Martin Kallikak, Jr.

"TGS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just bought a Belkin Wireless Laptop Network Card Adapter - 54g.for
> my laptop and now want to buy a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G
> Router I see there is a few on eBay with 125g on the box. Would
> this
> still be compatible or would I have to buy the one with 54g. Not
> knowing much about it I suppose I would not benefit the extra speed
> if
> I only have a 54g on the laptop would this be right?
>
> Cheers
> Tracey

125g equipment is backward-compatible to 54g-- so it would work for you.

Marty

Whiskers

On 2007-02-18, Martin Kallikak, Jr. <noone> wrote:
> "TGS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I just bought a Belkin Wireless Laptop Network Card Adapter - 54g.for
>> my laptop and now want to buy a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G
>> Router I see there is a few on eBay with 125g on the box. Would
>> this
>> still be compatible or would I have to buy the one with 54g. Not
>> knowing much about it I suppose I would not benefit the extra speed
>> if
>> I only have a 54g on the laptop would this be right?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tracey
>>

> 125g equipment is backward-compatible to 54g-- so it would work for you.
>
> Marty

In my experience, even if both the computer and router claim to be capable
of 125GB/second, you probably won't get more than 54GB/sec anyway - and
you'll only get that when the two are in direct line of sight in the same
room with no interference from any other signals or appliances.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Whiskers wrote:

> In my experience, even if both the computer and router claim to be capable
> of 125GB/second, you probably won't get more than 54GB/sec anyway - and
> you'll only get that when the two are in direct line of sight in the same
> room with no interference from any other signals or appliances.

I know what you meant, but what would this group be without smartass
replies? I'd give you $12 for a couple of wireless devices that can do
54GB/sec.
--
Proper notation would be 54Mb/sec methinks. That's something like 8,000
times slower, but still usuable.

TGS

On 18 Feb, 22:00, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
> > In my experience, even if both the computer and router claim to be capable
> > of 125GB/second, you probably won't get more than 54GB/sec anyway - and
> > you'll only get that when the two are in direct line of sight in the same
> > room with no interference from any other signals or appliances.

> I know what you meant, but what would this group be without smartass
> replies? I'd give you $12 for a couple of wireless devices that can do
> 54GB/sec.
> --
> Proper notation would be 54Mb/sec methinks. That's something like 8,000
> times slower, but still usuable.

Excellent I changed it to the 125g card paid a bit more. May I say
guys thanks all for the speedy/helpfull info