Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to use onboard video - why?

Unable to use onboard video - why?

Michael

Hi,

I have a M863 mainboard (AMD Sempron, WinXPPro) with onboard video. Some
time ago I installed an AGP video card, and have been using that. Now I
have obtained a second monitor, and want to use them both, using the onboard
adapter for the second monitor.

But with the second monitor connected to the onboard VGA out, the system now
can't find the onboard card. I have enabled an IRQ for it in the BIOS, but
device manager doesn't know about it. Neither does Display Properties /
Settings, instead showing a "secondary" for the AGP adapter.(?) System
Information doesn't know about it, either. The original setup disk for the
mainboard won't even install the mainboard video drivers (the option is
greyed out) which suggests (to me) that they are already installed. When
pushed, the monitor on the old adapter just reports "no video signal".

Assuming the onboard adapter is working, is there anything else I need do to
make it visible to the system?

I have looked at the "Help and Support" which didn't help at all.

Thanks,

Michael

Oksana Gutteridge

In news:45d7f4c9$(E-Mail Removed),
Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hi,
>
> I have a M863 mainboard (AMD Sempron, WinXPPro) with onboard video. Some
> time ago I installed an AGP video card, and have been using
> that. Now I have obtained a second monitor, and want to use them
> both, using the onboard adapter for the second monitor.
>
> But with the second monitor connected to the onboard VGA out, the
> system now can't find the onboard card. I have enabled an IRQ for it
> in the BIOS, but device manager doesn't know about it. Neither does
> Display Properties / Settings, instead showing a "secondary" for the
> AGP adapter.(?) System Information doesn't know about it, either.
> The original setup disk for the mainboard won't even install the
> mainboard video drivers (the option is greyed out) which suggests (to
> me) that they are already installed. When pushed, the monitor on the
> old adapter just reports "no video signal".
> Assuming the onboard adapter is working, is there anything else I
> need do to make it visible to the system?
>
> I have looked at the "Help and Support" which didn't help at all.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Did you bother to RTFM -
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/DLFile/extra/dual_monitor.pdf ?