Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No CD Audio in DOS GAMES - HELP PLEASE!

No CD Audio in DOS GAMES - HELP PLEASE!

Tim

Hi - I have a laptop I am trying to set up in order to play some of my
old (and loved) games. I wiped everything and loaded Win95(B) on it,
after fighting to find all the drivers and make everything happy I then
loaded my games:
Blood
Blood Cryptic Passage
Blood Plasma Pack
Blood 2
Redneck Rampage
Redneck Rampage Rout66
Redneck Rampage Rides Again

I get NO CD Audio at all in DOS - works fine in Win95 if you put a music
CD in - I even got the music tracks for Redneck Rampage to play in Win95
- but NO CD Audio in DOS - not even in a DOS box within Win95. Does
ANYONE out there have any answers fro this?!? I have been pounding my
forhead against the problem for 2-3 weeks now and I think I am developing
a perminent dent in the shape of a laptop...
My Specs:
Model: Dell Latitude CPi D300XT Laptop

OS:Win95
300Mhz PII processor
64M Ram
Crystal 4237B Audio (Sound Blaster Pro-compatible voice and music
functions)
Samsung CD-Rom 24X and Standard Floppy (swappable Bay)

Autoexec.bat
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\
LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCDOOD /M:20

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EM386.EXE NOEMS
FILES=30
STACKS=0,0
BUFFERS=20
DEVICEHIGH=C:WINDOWS\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCDOOD /V
device=C:\WINDOWS\cwdinit.exe /w

What I get at the DOS promp:

c:\>c:\WINDOWS\CWDINIT.EXE /A

CrystalWare(tm) Audio Initialization Utility, Version 2.720
Copyright(c) 1997 Crystal Semiconductor Corp. All Rights Reserved

*Plug N Play BIOS Detected
*SBpro: I/O = 220, IRQ = 5, DMA = 1

c:\>

Shepİ

On 16 Feb 2007 23:44:53 GMTWhilst not letting inanimate objects know
we are in a hurry Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> sent this :

>Hi - I have a laptop I am trying to set up in order to play some of my
>old (and loved) games. I wiped everything and loaded Win95(B) on it,
>after fighting to find all the drivers and make everything happy I then
>loaded my games:
>Blood
>Blood Cryptic Passage
>Blood Plasma Pack
>Blood 2
>Redneck Rampage
>Redneck Rampage Rout66
>Redneck Rampage Rides Again
>
>I get NO CD Audio at all in DOS - works fine in Win95 if you put a music
>CD in - I even got the music tracks for Redneck Rampage to play in Win95
>- but NO CD Audio in DOS - not even in a DOS box within Win95. Does
>ANYONE out there have any answers fro this?!? I have been pounding my
>forhead against the problem for 2-3 weeks now and I think I am developing
>a perminent dent in the shape of a laptop...
>My Specs:
>Model: Dell Latitude CPi D300XT Laptop
>
>OS:Win95
>300Mhz PII processor
>64M Ram
>Crystal 4237B Audio (Sound Blaster Pro-compatible voice and music
>functions)
>Samsung CD-Rom 24X and Standard Floppy (swappable Bay)
>
>Autoexec.bat
>SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
>SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\
>LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCDOOD /M:20
>
>Config.sys
>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
>DOS=HIGH,UMB
>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EM386.EXE NOEMS
>FILES=30
>STACKS=0,0
>BUFFERS=20
>DEVICEHIGH=C:WINDOWS\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS
>DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCDOOD /V
>device=C:\WINDOWS\cwdinit.exe /w
>
>What I get at the DOS promp:
>
>c:\>c:\WINDOWS\CWDINIT.EXE /A
>
>CrystalWare(tm) Audio Initialization Utility, Version 2.720
>Copyright(c) 1997 Crystal Semiconductor Corp. All Rights Reserved
>
> *Plug N Play BIOS Detected
> *SBpro: I/O = 220, IRQ = 5, DMA = 1
>
>c:\>

Run the DOS games in windows but use a Shortcut to the games .exe(On
the Desktop to make it easy)Right click on the
shortcut/Properties/Program and set it up to launch the game as you
want.When doing this always choose the option to tell windows not to
detect Msdos games.
I'm dragging this from memory here as I haven't got a Win95/98
system running as I type but this what I always did and could get all
my old DOS based games to run under windows and of course they ran way
better as well as the 32 bit drivers if Win95/98 were running as well
as the DOS 16 bit drivers etc.

Duke Nukem."I'm chewing gum and kicking Ass and I'm fresh outta gum"

PS
Got LLamatron running in XP :O

--
Free Windows/PC help,