Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Repair Xp

Repair Xp

peejay

Hi Can you please help a newbie?
I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well until
Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to select which
OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this point? Do I print 1 and
press Enter? When I do this it just does nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Peejay.

WhzzKdd

peejay wrote:
> Hi Can you please help a newbie?
> I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well
> until Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to
> select which OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this
> point? Do I print 1 and press Enter? When I do this it just does
> nothing.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks Peejay.

That is getting you into the Recovery Console, not getting you into a Repair
install of Windows. When you boot from the CD, do NOT press the "R" key to
do the Recovery Console, but go past that and install Windows again in the
same location in which it currently is installed.

peejay

"WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8D2Bh.19$(E-Mail Removed)...
> peejay wrote:
>> Hi Can you please help a newbie?
>> I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well
>> until Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to
>> select which OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this
>> point? Do I print 1 and press Enter? When I do this it just does
>> nothing.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>> Thanks Peejay.

> That is getting you into the Recovery Console, not getting you into a
> Repair install of Windows. When you boot from the CD, do NOT press the "R"
> key to do the Recovery Console, but go past that and install Windows again
> in the same location in which it currently is installed.

Thanks for the prompt reply. If I do as you say I get the message that by
doing this it will repartition the disk which I don't want.
Peejay

WhzzKdd

peejay wrote:
> "WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8D2Bh.19$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> peejay wrote:
>>> Hi Can you please help a newbie?
>>> I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well
>>> until Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to
>>> select which OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this
>>> point? Do I print 1 and press Enter? When I do this it just does
>>> nothing.
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>> Thanks Peejay.

>> That is getting you into the Recovery Console, not getting you into a
>> Repair install of Windows. When you boot from the CD, do NOT press
>> the "R" key to do the Recovery Console, but go past that and install
>> Windows again in the same location in which it currently is
>> installed.

> Thanks for the prompt reply. If I do as you say I get the message
> that by doing this it will repartition the disk which I don't want.
> Peejay

Assuming you have a genuine Microsoft CD, you should be able to simply
choose the existing partition, rather than delete it. Oh - and you don't
want to format it either.

See if the step-by-step instructions here helps:
<http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/#XP%20HOME%20CD%20INSTALL,%20REINSTALL%20&%20REPAI R%20GUIDES>

(If you have a different version of XP, go to
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/ and select your version.)

meerkat

"WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LU2Bh.33$(E-Mail Removed)...
> peejay wrote:
>> "WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:8D2Bh.19$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> That is getting you into the Recovery Console, not getting you into a
>>> Repair install of Windows. When you boot from the CD, do NOT press
>>> the "R" key to do the Recovery Console, but go past that and install
>>> Windows again in the same location in which it currently is
>>> installed.

>> Thanks for the prompt reply. If I do as you say I get the message
>> that by doing this it will repartition the disk which I don't want.
>> Peejay

> Assuming you have a genuine Microsoft CD, you should be able to simply
> choose the existing partition, rather than delete it. Oh - and you don't
> want to format it either.

Snipped some.

Go read his post again Whzz !
He says `have tried to **repair** via disk.

If you cofuse him, he`ll end up doing a re-install.

bw..

Ron Martell

"peejay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Can you please help a newbie?
>I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well until
>Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to select which
>OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this point? Do I print 1 and
>press Enter? When I do this it just does nothing.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Thanks Peejay.

See http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.html

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

WhzzKdd

meerkat wrote:
> "WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LU2Bh.33$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> peejay wrote:
>>> "WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:8D2Bh.19$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks for the prompt reply. If I do as you say I get the message
>>> that by doing this it will repartition the disk which I don't want.
>>> Peejay

>> Assuming you have a genuine Microsoft CD, you should be able to
>> simply choose the existing partition, rather than delete it. Oh -
>> and you don't want to format it either.
>>

> Snipped some.
>>

> Go read his post again Whzz !
> He says `have tried to **repair** via disk.
>
> If you cofuse him, he`ll end up doing a re-install.
>
> bw..

I believe that is what the OP intended. If the user doesn't know enough
about the recovery console to even know how to get there, I doubt there's
anything they'd be able to do once they did get into it. From is original
post, the "repair" sounds like a "repair install" to me.

peejay

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "peejay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi Can you please help a newbie?
>>I cannot boot up XP and have tried to repair via disk. all goes well until
>>Iget the message "1: C:\WINDOWS" with tha added instruction to select
>>which
>>OS I want to use. What am I supposed to do at this point? Do I print 1 and
>>press Enter? When I do this it just does nothing.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>Thanks Peejay.
>>

> See http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.html
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> Syberfix Remote Computer Repair
>
> "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
> has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Thanks Ron, problem solved.

Peejay.