Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Good free newsgroup provider?

Good free newsgroup provider?

John Brown

Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?
Previous one - news.svr.pol.co.uk recently decided to stop providing.
John.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"John Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?
>Previous one - news.svr.pol.co.uk recently decided to stop providing.
>John.

This has been answered many times here http://tinyurl.com/3yvgxl

Myself and others use http://news.individual.net/ it's not free but
around $13 US a year it's close, it's a text only feed, no binaries.

--

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mr.wheatley/cunningbig.htm

Oksana Gutteridge

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> "John Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?
>> Previous one - news.svr.pol.co.uk recently decided to stop providing.
>> John.

> This has been answered many times here http://tinyurl.com/3yvgxl
>
> Myself and others use http://news.individual.net/ it's not free but
> around $13 US a year it's close, it's a text only feed, no binaries.

It's very good. There are several others that charge a small setup fee, and
are free after that. The completely free ones can be good, but they tend to
be run by small oufits. They come and they go - have a look at
alt.free.newsservers.

John Morrison

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:13:40 -0000, "John Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?
>Previous one - news.svr.pol.co.uk recently decided to stop providing.
>John.

A good free one for text groups is Datemas Internet News Server
news.datemas.de. http://news.datemas.de/

You need to email them an email address and password which they will
confirm and allow you to login with the details you have provided.
--

John

Mike Easter

John Morrison wrote:
> "John Brown"

>> Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?

> A good free one for text groups is Datemas Internet News Server
> news.datemas.de. http://news.datemas.de/
>
> You need to email them an email address and password which they will
> confirm and allow you to login with the details you have provided.

http://news.datemas.de/ Look here for announcements
<snip>
2007-02-15 18:34h: Tomorrow 16th Feb. from 09:00h to 12:00h UTC (GMT)
2007-02-16 the news server will be offline. We move news.datemas.de to
another server with more disk space. The server's IP will change. The
hostname for readers/posters will remain "news.datemas.de". The hostname
for nntp-servers with whom we exchange will change, see peering.

2007-02-08: 17:40h: Registration of new users is temporarily suspended
until we can distiguish them from those, whom we cancelled because of
t.heir abuse. We do not register new users until further notice.
</snip>

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Oksana Gutteridge wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed)
>> "John Brown"
>>
>>> Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?

>> Myself and others use http://news.individual.net/ it's not free but
>> around $13 US a year it's close, it's a text only feed, no binaries.

> It's very good. There are several others that charge a small setup
> fee, and are free after that. The completely free ones can be good,
> but they tend to be run by small oufits. They come and they go - have
> a look at alt.free.newsservers.

Individual is a very good newsserver, but at $13/y there are many others
which are cheaper. Besides those which are free or nearly free, some
commercial newsservers sell non-expiring blocks.

For text only, it would be much cheaper to buy a non-expiring block than
to pay individual $13/y.

The last I checked around, depending upon what size block you wanted,
the providers octanews, usenet-news, and astraweb all had a more
economical deal than individual. The advantage to the nonexpiring
commercial NSP is that you can also access a binary group if you wanted
to.

Some blocks are as cheap as $2, which is a better deal than what
teranews calls free.

--
Mike Easter

John Morrison

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:34:46 -0800, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>John Morrison wrote:
>> "John Brown"

>>> Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?

>> A good free one for text groups is Datemas Internet News Server
>> news.datemas.de. http://news.datemas.de/
>>
>> You need to email them an email address and password which they will
>> confirm and allow you to login with the details you have provided.

>http://news.datemas.de/ Look here for announcements
><snip>
>2007-02-15 18:34h: Tomorrow 16th Feb. from 09:00h to 12:00h UTC (GMT)
>2007-02-16 the news server will be offline. We move news.datemas.de to
>another server with more disk space. The server's IP will change. The
>hostname for readers/posters will remain "news.datemas.de". The hostname
>for nntp-servers with whom we exchange will change, see peering.
>
>2007-02-08: 17:40h: Registration of new users is temporarily suspended
>until we can distiguish them from those, whom we cancelled because of
>t.heir abuse. We do not register new users until further notice.
></snip>

Sorry I wasn't aware that they had temporarily suspended registration.
--

John

noalternative

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:13:40 -0000
"John Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?
> Previous one - news.svr.pol.co.uk recently decided to stop providing.
> John.

aioe.org
motzarella.org must register
teranews.com 3 dollar registration fee

--

Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."

http://www.spampoison.com
http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/spam/trap.html

Mike Easter

John Morrison wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> Registration of new users is temporarily
>> suspended

> Sorry I wasn't aware that they had temporarily suspended registration.

Quite a number of the newsservers I presently use I hooked up with
during the time they were accessible for registration, but they aren't
currently open..

In this case, datemas hasn't been closed very long, but some others that
opened for a while have been closed for a very long time. Maybe datemas
will stay closed too.

--
Mike Easter