Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do you eliminate My Recent Documents?

How do you eliminate My Recent Documents?

Smoker

"Atlas Shrugged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
>> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to
>> ever see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way
>> to do away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but
>> they weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be
>> set to 1 and that hasn't worked.
>>

> Here's my suggestion. Take Word for an example. Run Word, Go to Tools,
> Options, Click on File Locations tab, under File Types, click on
> Documents, then click the Modify button, find the folder you want to open
> with when you click the Open icon.

Thanks. I don't have Word but found something similar in Publisher and
changed the two paths to Desktop. Rebooted. No luck. I can delete the My
Recent Documents folder and it returns.

Smoker

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Bucky Breeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:Xns98D7963D3906CWeeZurD@216.151.153.14...
>> "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
>>> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to
>>> ever see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way
>>> to do away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but
>>> they weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be
>>> set to 1 and that hasn't worked.

>> The reg-hack is for the Start Menu's Recent Documents. Once you
>> correctly
>> make the registry entry, you have to reboot, then it will work.
>>
>> You may need to re-check your steps for neatness and completeness:
>>

>> Make a backup of your registry first.
>>
>> Launch registry editor.
>>
>> Scroll to:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
>> \CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>
>> 1) Right-click on the right pane and select new, DWORD value.
>> 2) Name it NoRecentDocsMenu.
>> 3) Double-click and enter 1 as [Hexadecimal] value.
>>
>> To restore the Documents menu, reverse the steps by changing 1 to 0
>> or delete DWORD value.
>>
>> There's also more information and a reg file here:
>>
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/recentdocs.htm
>>
>> --

> Thanks. I already have those keys set at what is recommended and there is
> no change.

MS KB lists a way to edit the registry in XP (Home & Pro) and for everyone
with the desire to be rid of this annoyance forever, it simply does not
work.

Dee

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:48:28 -0500, "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> There is a way to remove it without downloading any new tools!

Here is how to dp this with XP Pro, I am sure it's exact same for XP
Home edition........

Right click on Taskbar - Properties/Start Menu Tab/Customize
button/Advanced Tab, at bottom there is box to tick whether you want
to "List my most recently opened documents".
Dee

Smoker

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> You said CCleaner does not work. It does work. What is it are you trying
> to do again?

CCleaner works. I've used it several times in the past. It has nothing to do
with my objective however. When in a program you choose to Open As or Save
As, in the drop down list at the top is My Recent Documents. I don't care
what's in it or if it's full of stuff or empty, I just don't want to ever
see it again. I want it banished from my system not just cleaned out. It's
an annoyance.

pcbutts1

Well if I understand you correctly the best I can do now is disable it. I've
tried deleting the reg key but that was no good. I noticed that you can
right click it and there is an option to remove it but it is grayed out.
That leaves me to believe that it is a policy issue that I have not found
yet. To disable it see below.

Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into notepad. Save
the file as norecent.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure you change
the save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved double click on
the file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.

Begin cut below this line
================================================== =================================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\comdlg32]
"NoFileMru"=dword:00000001

================================================== ==================================
End cut above this line

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> You said CCleaner does not work. It does work. What is it are you trying
>> to do again?
>>

> CCleaner works. I've used it several times in the past. It has nothing to
> do with my objective however. When in a program you choose to Open As or
> Save As, in the drop down list at the top is My Recent Documents. I don't
> care what's in it or if it's full of stuff or empty, I just don't want to
> ever see it again. I want it banished from my system not just cleaned out.
> It's an annoyance.

Smoker

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Well if I understand you correctly the best I can do now is disable it.
> I've tried deleting the reg key but that was no good. I noticed that you
> can right click it and there is an option to remove it but it is grayed
> out. That leaves me to believe that it is a policy issue that I have not
> found yet. To disable it see below.
>
> Cut and paste everything between the lines and paste it into notepad. Save
> the file as norecent.reg and save it to the desktop. make sure you change
> the save as type.... drop down box to all files. Once saved double click
> on the file to merge it into the registry. Reboot.
>

> Begin cut below this line
> ================================================== =================================
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\comdlg32]
> "NoFileMru"=dword:00000001
>

> ================================================== ==================================
> End cut above this line
>

> --
>
> Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
> The list grows. Leythos the stalker http://www.leythosthestalker.com,
> David H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz,
> Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell
>

> "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> You said CCleaner does not work. It does work. What is it are you trying
>>> to do again?
>>>

>> CCleaner works. I've used it several times in the past. It has nothing to
>> do with my objective however. When in a program you choose to Open As or
>> Save As, in the drop down list at the top is My Recent Documents. I don't
>> care what's in it or if it's full of stuff or empty, I just don't want to
>> ever see it again. I want it banished from my system not just cleaned
>> out. It's an annoyance.

Thanks a lot. That's the most that can evidently be done. MS has a registry
fix to make it vanish and it doesn't work for anyone bothered like me by
this.