Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do you eliminate My Recent Documents?

How do you eliminate My Recent Documents?

Frosty

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:53:22 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Smoker"
<(E-Mail Removed)>, intended to write something intelligible, but instead
wrote :

>"the paddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> On 14 Feb, 20:18, "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
>>> Documents
>>> or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to ever see it
>>> again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way to do away
>>> with
>>> this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but they weren't
>>> accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be set to 1 and
>>> that
>>> hasn't worked.

>> Do you mean applications, eg Word, when you click file, or recent
>> documents on the Start menu?
>>

>Sorry I wasn't more clear. When you're in a program or folder and click on
>File/Open it is at the top, My Recent Documents. It most often opens to that
>as the default instead of the desktop or whatever.

I'm trying to duplicate your problem but I don't see this at the top
of ANY program or folder. I only see it in the Start menu. Is this
what you want to delete? This folder here??

Smoker

"Frosty" < http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:53:22 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Smoker"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, intended to write something intelligible, but instead
> wrote :
>

>>"the paddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...
>>>
>>> Do you mean applications, eg Word, when you click file, or recent
>>> documents on the Start menu?
>>>

>>Sorry I wasn't more clear. When you're in a program or folder and click on
>>File/Open it is at the top, My Recent Documents. It most often opens to
>>that
>>as the default instead of the desktop or whatever.

> I'm trying to duplicate your problem but I don't see this at the top
> of ANY program or folder. I only see it in the Start menu. Is this
> what you want to delete? This folder here??

I guess you have to be in a program and go to File then Open. On the
dropdown list at the very top is My Recent Documents. #2 is usually Desktop.
I am not talking about what is in the Start menu. I got rid of it's physical
presence, there anyhow. I don't want to be bothered by any possibility that
I may want something that was recent. I don't want whatever I do tracked so
it can be offered to me again at some future point. I just don't want it
showing up anywhere. There are programs, like graphics and video, where I do
want that kept but those programs do it within and not as a part of Windows
XP.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Frosty" < (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:53:22 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Smoker"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>, intended to write something intelligible, but instead
>> wrote :
>>

>>>"the paddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) egroups.com...

>>>Sorry I wasn't more clear. When you're in a program or folder and click on
>>>File/Open it is at the top, My Recent Documents. It most often opens to
>>>that
>>>as the default instead of the desktop or whatever.

>> I'm trying to duplicate your problem but I don't see this at the top
>> of ANY program or folder. I only see it in the Start menu. Is this
>> what you want to delete? This folder here??

>I guess you have to be in a program and go to File then Open. On the
>dropdown list at the very top is My Recent Documents. #2 is usually Desktop.
>I am not talking about what is in the Start menu. I got rid of it's physical
>presence, there anyhow. I don't want to be bothered by any possibility that
>I may want something that was recent. I don't want whatever I do tracked so
>it can be offered to me again at some future point. I just don't want it
>showing up anywhere. There are programs, like graphics and video, where I do
>want that kept but those programs do it within and not as a part of Windows
>XP.

Could of mentioned the program(s)...

If you use UltraEdit, in the advanced/config you can hide the recent
list.

Also note that anything you do or edit is listed many times in the
registry, if your in paranoid/security mode, getting it off your
computer is about the only way to not access it again, until you need
it.
--

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mr.wheatley/cunningbig.htm

Smoker

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Frosty" < (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:53:22 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Smoker"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>, intended to write something intelligible, but instead

>>> I'm trying to duplicate your problem but I don't see this at the top
>>> of ANY program or folder. I only see it in the Start menu. Is this
>>> what you want to delete? This folder here??

>>I guess you have to be in a program and go to File then Open. On the
>>dropdown list at the very top is My Recent Documents. #2 is usually
>>Desktop.
>>I am not talking about what is in the Start menu. I got rid of it's
>>physical
>>presence, there anyhow. I don't want to be bothered by any possibility
>>that
>>I may want something that was recent. I don't want whatever I do tracked
>>so
>>it can be offered to me again at some future point. I just don't want it
>>showing up anywhere. There are programs, like graphics and video, where I
>>do
>>want that kept but those programs do it within and not as a part of
>>Windows
>>XP.

> Could of mentioned the program(s)...
>
> If you use UltraEdit, in the advanced/config you can hide the recent
> list.
>
> Also note that anything you do or edit is listed many times in the
> registry, if your in paranoid/security mode, getting it off your
> computer is about the only way to not access it again, until you need
> it.
> --

No, I'm not paranoid, it's a major annoyance. I save most things to my
desktop when I'm on the Internet and when I go File/Save As that My Recent
Documents is at the top of the save list or opens to it as default instead
of Desktop like I'm used to and prefer. The program(s) where I will also
save or open a file seems to be any program where this also happens. It's
like having an extra unnecessary step to do. Very seldom does it not happen
and this only started in the past week or so. I've installed a lot of apps
but nothing that would kick that in unless a backup program would do it.
Maybe so. I'll check that out after below...

I'll try UltraEdit and let you know. Thanks.

Steve Mills

Smoker wrote:
> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent Documents
> or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to ever see it
> again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way to do away with
> this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but they weren't
> accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be set to 1 and that
> hasn't worked.

There is a way to remove it without downloading any new tools! Im not
sure if it is on Windows XP Home but Start>Rub> type gpedit.msc

Hit "User Config" and look at all the options, there is an option in
there to stop collecting recent documents. But also to stop displaying
them on the start menu.

There are loads of options, just mes around.

Oksana Gutteridge

In news:45d44178$0$141$(E-Mail Removed) .uk,
Steve Mills <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Smoker wrote:
>> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
>> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want
>> to ever see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there
>> a way to do away with this? I've tried several things I found on the
>> Web but they weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the
>> registry was to be set to 1 and that hasn't worked.
>>

> There is a way to remove it without downloading any new tools! Im not
> sure if it is on Windows XP Home but Start>Rub> type gpedit.msc
>
> Hit "User Config" and look at all the options, there is an option in
> there to stop collecting recent documents. But also to stop displaying
> them on the start menu.
>
> There are loads of options, just mes around.

Yes, indeedy. Sounds just like the recipe for Chernobyl.

Atlas Shrugged

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to ever
> see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way to do
> away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but they
> weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be set to
> 1 and that hasn't worked.

Here's my suggestion. Take Word for an example. Run Word, Go to Tools,
Options, Click on File Locations tab, under File Types, click on Documents,
then click the Modify button, find the folder you want to open with when you
click the Open icon.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No, I'm not paranoid, it's a major annoyance. I save most things to my
>desktop when I'm on the Internet and when I go File/Save As that My Recent
>Documents is at the top of the save list or opens to it as default instead
>of Desktop like I'm used to and prefer. The program(s) where I will also
>save or open a file seems to be any program where this also happens. It's
>like having an extra unnecessary step to do. Very seldom does it not happen
>and this only started in the past week or so. I've installed a lot of apps
>but nothing that would kick that in unless a backup program would do it.
>Maybe so. I'll check that out after below...

>I'll try UltraEdit and let you know. Thanks.

Only if you want an excellent Text Editor.

Check this program out, it should do what you want
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

I've never used it, it was just the first listing of
Google: Remove MRU
--

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mr.wheatley/cunningbig.htm

Smoker

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>No, I'm not paranoid, it's a major annoyance. I save most things to my
>>desktop when I'm on the Internet and when I go File/Save As that My Recent
>>Documents is at the top of the save list or opens to it as default instead
>>of Desktop like I'm used to and prefer. The program(s) where I will also
>>save or open a file seems to be any program where this also happens. It's
>>like having an extra unnecessary step to do. Very seldom does it not
>>happen
>>and this only started in the past week or so. I've installed a lot of apps
>>but nothing that would kick that in unless a backup program would do it.
>>Maybe so. I'll check that out after below...

>>I'll try UltraEdit and let you know. Thanks.

> Only if you want an excellent Text Editor.

It's too excellent for my lowly skills.

> Check this program out, it should do what you want
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html
>
> I've never used it, it was just the first listing of
> Google: Remove MRU

---
MRU Blaster is a cleaner only. I don't care if MRUs are kept as long as they
aren't brought so disturbingly to my attention. I figure if I can disable
what's causing this I'll be ok but nothing helps.

I have searched Google using the folder name "My Recent Documents" and fixes
I've found are like they're using a different version of XP or the registry
fixes in mine are already set to the recommendations and just aren't
working. Possibly a Service can be halted to stop this?

Smoker

"Steve Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d44178$0$141$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Smoker wrote:
>> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
>> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to
>> ever see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way
>> to do away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but
>> they weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be
>> set to 1 and that hasn't worked.

> There is a way to remove it without downloading any new tools! Im not sure
> if it is on Windows XP Home but Start>Rub> type gpedit.msc
>
> Hit "User Config" and look at all the options, there is an option in there
> to stop collecting recent documents. But also to stop displaying them on
> the start menu.
>
> There are loads of options, just mes around.

Windows can't find "gpedit.msc" Are you sure that's the proper spelling?