Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do you eliminate My Recent Documents?

Reply
Thread Tools

How do you eliminate My Recent Documents?

 
 
Smoker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent Documents
or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to ever see it
again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way to do away with
this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but they weren't
accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be set to 1 and that
hasn't worked.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
the paddle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
On 14 Feb, 20:18, "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent Documents
> or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to ever see it
> again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way to do away with
> this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but they weren't
> accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be set to 1 and that
> hasn't worked.


Do you mean applications, eg Word, when you click file, or recent
documents on the Start menu?

paddle

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
meerkat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to ever
> see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way to do
> away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but they
> weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be set to
> 1 and that hasn't worked.

http://www.j79zlr.com/gphome.php

Go to Edit/Find, and type in `recent`, search down and
see if that`s what you need.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bucky Breeder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to
> ever see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way
> to do away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but
> they weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be
> set to 1 and that hasn't worked.



The reg-hack is for the Start Menu's Recent Documents. Once you correctly
make the registry entry, you have to reboot, then it will work.

You may need to re-check your steps for neatness and completeness:


Make a backup of your registry first.

Launch registry editor.

Scroll to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

1) Right-click on the right pane and select new, DWORD value.
2) Name it NoRecentDocsMenu.
3) Double-click and enter 1 as [Hexadecimal] value.

To restore the Documents menu, reverse the steps by changing 1 to 0
or delete DWORD value.

There's also more information and a reg file here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/recentdocs.htm

--

I can still recall old Mr. Jones getting outside every morning and
nailing a fresh load of tadpoles around that old casino wheel of his.

Then he would spin it round and round - like a wheel of fortune - and
no matter where it stopped, he'd yell out in his megaphone,
"Tadpole! Tadpole! Tadpole *IS* the grand-prize winner!"

We *all* thought he was so "craaaaaaaazzzzyyyy"!
But then we all had a lot of growing-up yet to do.
 
Reply With Quote
 
olfart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007

"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to ever
> see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way to do
> away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but they
> weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be set to
> 1 and that hasn't worked.
>

Google for "TweakUI XP"


 
Reply With Quote
 
pcbutts1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
www.ccleaner.com

--

Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
The list grows. Leythos the stalker http://www.leythosthestalker.com, David
H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz,
Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell



"Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to ever
> see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way to do
> away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but they
> weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be set to
> 1 and that hasn't worked.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Smoker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007

"Bucky Breeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:Xns98D7963D3906CWeeZurD@216.151.153.14...
> "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
>> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to
>> ever see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way
>> to do away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but
>> they weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be
>> set to 1 and that hasn't worked.

>
>
> The reg-hack is for the Start Menu's Recent Documents. Once you correctly
> make the registry entry, you have to reboot, then it will work.
>
> You may need to re-check your steps for neatness and completeness:
>
>
> Make a backup of your registry first.
>
> Launch registry editor.
>
> Scroll to:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> \CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>
> 1) Right-click on the right pane and select new, DWORD value.
> 2) Name it NoRecentDocsMenu.
> 3) Double-click and enter 1 as [Hexadecimal] value.
>
> To restore the Documents menu, reverse the steps by changing 1 to 0
> or delete DWORD value.
>
> There's also more information and a reg file here:
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/recentdocs.htm
>
> --

Thanks. I already have those keys set at what is recommended and there is no
change.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Smoker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007

"the paddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On 14 Feb, 20:18, "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
>> Documents
>> or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to ever see it
>> again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way to do away
>> with
>> this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but they weren't
>> accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be set to 1 and
>> that
>> hasn't worked.

>
> Do you mean applications, eg Word, when you click file, or recent
> documents on the Start menu?
>

Sorry I wasn't more clear. When you're in a program or folder and click on
File/Open it is at the top, My Recent Documents. It most often opens to that
as the default instead of the desktop or whatever.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Smoker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
>> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to
>> ever see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way
>> to do away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but
>> they weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be
>> set to 1 and that hasn't worked.
>>

> Google for "TweakUI XP"

I have TweakUI. That removes the folder from the Start menu and that's it.
Recent... still appears like in File/Open... at the top.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Smoker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007

"pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> www.ccleaner.com
>
> --
>

Not applicable. That will clean but not remove or disable the crap that
accumulates the crap.

> Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
> The list grows. Leythos the stalker http://www.leythosthestalker.com,
> David H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz,
> Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell
>
>
>
> "Smoker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Many times when I click in XP Home to bring down a menu, My Recent
>> Documents or some such Recent thing is at the top and I don't want to
>> ever see it again. I don't care about anything recent so is there a way
>> to do away with this? I've tried several things I found on the Web but
>> they weren't accurate. . . . NoRecentDocsMenu in the registry was to be
>> set to 1 and that hasn't worked.
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
eliminate concurrent statement Aji VHDL 2 01-04-2006 04:45 PM
Eliminate postback flicker WITHOUT smartnav ujjc001 ASP .Net 8 01-05-2005 12:53 PM
How can I eliminate "Glitch"? Jluis VHDL 5 05-12-2004 07:59 PM
DropDown List eliminate intermediate spaces Lucas Campos ASP .Net 11 11-11-2003 04:45 PM



Advertisments