Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Sybex "Exam Notes" Series Books

Sybex "Exam Notes" Series Books

Billy

I'm enrolled in an instructor-led class for my MCSE in Windows 2000 and need
advice on supplemental material. The books and CD's provided in the class
are not fully providing me with enough specific knowledge.

I have many years of work experience and understand LAN's well, but I'm not
an expert in any OS.

I've reviewed the O'Reilly "MCSE in a Nutshell" and it is somewhat helpful,
but is missing critical key information. Therefore, I ordered the Sybex
"Exam Notes" series of books for W2K Pro and Server, due to be delivered
soon.

Has anyone reviewed these books, and what is your opinion of this as a
supplemental study guide?

Techie

Try to stay away from Exam notes type books as they are too centered on the
exam. Get the normal Sybex books for study purposes and if you want more
detail go with the MS Press books

--
Techie
MCNGP #21
"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm enrolled in an instructor-led class for my MCSE in Windows 2000 and

need
> advice on supplemental material. The books and CD's provided in the class
> are not fully providing me with enough specific knowledge.
>
> I have many years of work experience and understand LAN's well, but I'm

not
> an expert in any OS.
>
> I've reviewed the O'Reilly "MCSE in a Nutshell" and it is somewhat

helpful,
> but is missing critical key information. Therefore, I ordered the Sybex
> "Exam Notes" series of books for W2K Pro and Server, due to be delivered
> soon.
>
> Has anyone reviewed these books, and what is your opinion of this as a
> supplemental study guide?

Steven L Umbach

Hi Billy.

Though not an exam guide Mark Minasi's Mastering Windows 2000 Server is an
outstanding book to learn W2K. There are also many, many free resources at Microsoft
web site including deployment guides and white papers. I also highly recommend the
Microsoft Press Windows Security Resource Kit. The MCSE guides are sorely lacking in
the area of securing W2K. I found it a very interesting read. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...fo/default.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...pg/default.asp
http://www.bookpool.com/.x/qxf9w5qzer/sm/0735618682
http://www.labmice.net/windows2000/default.htm

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm enrolled in an instructor-led class for my MCSE in Windows 2000 and need
> advice on supplemental material. The books and CD's provided in the class
> are not fully providing me with enough specific knowledge.
>
> I have many years of work experience and understand LAN's well, but I'm not
> an expert in any OS.
>
> I've reviewed the O'Reilly "MCSE in a Nutshell" and it is somewhat helpful,
> but is missing critical key information. Therefore, I ordered the Sybex
> "Exam Notes" series of books for W2K Pro and Server, due to be delivered
> soon.
>
> Has anyone reviewed these books, and what is your opinion of this as a
> supplemental study guide?

Billy

"Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%N%Jb.2573$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Try to stay away from Exam notes type books as they are too centered on

the
> exam.

Isn't this what I want, if I already have somewhat of an idea of the
concepts?

> --
> Techie
> MCNGP #21
> "Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm enrolled in an instructor-led class for my MCSE in Windows 2000 and

> need
> > advice on supplemental material. The books and CD's provided in the

class
> > are not fully providing me with enough specific knowledge.
> >
> > I have many years of work experience and understand LAN's well, but I'm

> not
> > an expert in any OS.
> >
> > I've reviewed the O'Reilly "MCSE in a Nutshell" and it is somewhat

> helpful,
> > but is missing critical key information. Therefore, I ordered the Sybex
> > "Exam Notes" series of books for W2K Pro and Server, due to be delivered
> > soon.
> >
> > Has anyone reviewed these books, and what is your opinion of this as a
> > supplemental study guide?

Techie

Not if you say things like "but I'm not an expert in any OS." forget the
exam and learn the material. The Exam notes are for a readiness review not
for studying about the product you are going to be certified on.

--
Techie
MCNGP #21
"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%N%Jb.2573$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
> > Try to stay away from Exam notes type books as they are too centered on

> the
> > exam.

> Isn't this what I want, if I already have somewhat of an idea of the
> concepts?
>
> > --
> > Techie
> > MCNGP #21
> > "Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm enrolled in an instructor-led class for my MCSE in Windows 2000

and
> > need
> > > advice on supplemental material. The books and CD's provided in the

> class
> > > are not fully providing me with enough specific knowledge.
> > >
> > > I have many years of work experience and understand LAN's well, but

I'm
> > not
> > > an expert in any OS.
> > >
> > > I've reviewed the O'Reilly "MCSE in a Nutshell" and it is somewhat

> > helpful,
> > > but is missing critical key information. Therefore, I ordered the

Sybex
> > > "Exam Notes" series of books for W2K Pro and Server, due to be

delivered
> > > soon.
> > >
> > > Has anyone reviewed these books, and what is your opinion of this as a
> > > supplemental study guide?

Billy

"Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5_5Kb.438$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not if you say things like "but I'm not an expert in any OS." forget the
> exam and learn the material. The Exam notes are for a readiness review not
> for studying about the product you are going to be certified on.
>

> --
> Techie
> MCNGP #21

Ok, I get it. Then I must be on the right track because I've already studied
in-depth through a classroom curriculum, now I'm preparing for the test.

Rowdy Yates

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Techie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5_5Kb.438$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Not if you say things like "but I'm not an expert in any OS." forget
>> the exam and learn the material. The Exam notes are for a readiness
>> review not for studying about the product you are going to be
>> certified on.
>>

>> --
>> Techie
>> MCNGP #21

> Ok, I get it. Then I must be on the right track because I've already
> studied in-depth through a classroom curriculum, now I'm preparing for
> the test.

Billy, in my experience the MS Press books have proven to be very badly
written, organized and a major pain in the ass to read. I don't think MS
are very good at publishing certification prep books. They books on MS
products are can not bad. But publishers like Corilis, examcram, sybex
e.t.c. are much better at exam prep. mainly because they speicalize in
the area. Just my opinion based on a few MS Press books I picked up along
the way and tried to read through. But i am sure there are peope that may
disagree, it's all subjective anyways.

also, don't pay full price for the books. the books are always heavily
over priced and drop in a bargain bin within a 12 month cycle. look for
previous editions in discount/clearence book storres. especially ones
that specialize in it books. there are a slew of them in my city.

good luck,
RY, MCSE

>Billy, in my experience the MS Press books have proven to be very badly
>written, organized and a major pain in the ass to read. I don't think MS
>are very good at publishing certification prep books. They books on MS
>products are can not bad.

Totally agree.

Can't understand why that should be so, seems bizarre to me.

>There are also many, many free resources at Microsoft
>web site including deployment guides and white papers. I also highly recommend the
>Microsoft Press Windows Security Resource Kit.

Absolutely.

Sybex Announces The Launch of Sybex Test Success JKellum A+ Certification 0 09-04-2007 11:00 PM
Sybex vs MS books David K MCSE 9 11-27-2003 07:26 PM
270 Study Books: Sybex + Exam Cram Vs MS Press ISBN 0735614296 and Readiness Review Book? Max MCSE 1 09-22-2003 01:40 PM
MCSE 2k core training books microsoft-sybex best??? Destiny 123 :o) MCSE 1 09-20-2003 05:40 PM