Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Help me with a snap hardware diagnosis

Re: Help me with a snap hardware diagnosis

WhzzKdd

Mark Adams wrote:
> WhzzKdd wrote:
>> Mark Adams wrote:
>>> Barring a BIOS config bypassing booting from the CD, I don't think I
>>> can get to the recovery console.
>>>

>> True - the default is often set to boot hard drive first. Although
>> on my HP, there's a "boot menu" option when it is starting - I
>> believe it's the ESC key. So you might look for that too.

> Okay, I was wondering which of the several odd options it used for
> BIOS access. I'll try ESC first. Hopefully that's one less thing
> I'll have to look up.
>

>>> Of course that's speculative. I'll know more if/when I get my hands
>>> on the machine.

>> Yeah - I'd have to agree that it's easier to get into these things
>> when they're "local". Just getting some users to understand that
>> there IS a BIOS setup hotkey, and when to press it, can be an
>> exercise in futility.

> Which is why I didn't even consider pursuing it with her over the
> phone. I was struggling with "now, keep pressing F8" trying to
> access safe mode.
> Casual tech support used to be fun. Now it's just tiresome.

I hear that <g>! Getting calls all hours of the night...trying to explain
the basics...a lot of weekends, I won't even answer the phone. That's what
the machine is for