Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB wireless adaptor

USB wireless adaptor

John Scott

Anyone have an idea what the best USB adaptor for a dell pc 9200. I am
using a belkin but keeps cutting out. My laptop also a dell has an internal
adaptor which is great and picks up a lot more than the belkin
Thanks John

Meat Plow

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:26:40 +0000, John Scott Has Frothed:

> Anyone have an idea what the best USB adaptor for a dell pc 9200. I am
> using a belkin but keeps cutting out. My laptop also a dell has an internal
> adaptor which is great and picks up a lot more than the belkin
> Thanks John

You might want to figure out why the Belkin keeps "cutting out" before you
spend more money.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Otter

In news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local,
Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:26:40 +0000, John Scott Has Frothed:
>
>> Anyone have an idea what the best USB adaptor for a dell pc 9200. I
>> am using a belkin but keeps cutting out. My laptop also a dell has
>> an internal adaptor which is great and picks up a lot more than the
>> belkin
>> Thanks John

> You might want to figure out why the Belkin keeps "cutting out"
> before you spend more money.

You mean check it on another computer, and if it still cuts out, bin it and
get another one?

Meat Plow

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:51:57 +1100, Otter Has Frothed:

> In news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local,
> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:26:40 +0000, John Scott Has Frothed:
>>
>>> Anyone have an idea what the best USB adaptor for a dell pc 9200. I
>>> am using a belkin but keeps cutting out. My laptop also a dell has
>>> an internal adaptor which is great and picks up a lot more than the
>>> belkin
>>> Thanks John

>> You might want to figure out why the Belkin keeps "cutting out"
>> before you spend more money.

> You mean check it on another computer, and if it still cuts out, bin it and
> get another one?

No I meant trouble shoot it and verify it's a hardware issue before
binning it. More times than not the problem lies with Windows wireless
config utility conflicting with the adaptor vendor's wireless utility.
I've had it happen here and all that needed to be done was to disable one
or the other. The Windows utility works just fine.

COOSN-266-06-25794

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

John Scott wrote:
> Anyone have an idea what the best USB adaptor for a dell pc 9200. I am
> using a belkin but keeps cutting out. My laptop also a dell has an internal
> adaptor which is great and picks up a lot more than the belkin
> Thanks John

If it's just a matter of weak signal, try something like: (note that
there are thumbnails to the "How to" part)

http://www.instructables.com/id/EQARE4I72GEPUCHTHU/

People use all sorts of devices to help the signal strength of USB
adapters. Google around some and you'll see what I mean. Look for "wifi
extender" or "wireless antennas".