Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Access Denied errors when trying delete a WIndows XP folder

Access Denied errors when trying delete a WIndows XP folder

farseer

Ok, for years i've had to deal with this on and off. Now that i am
all grown up and over 30, i figured i should stop procrastinating and
ask why this happens and how to resolve. Here's the issue

I have a website i am putting together. At times this means i need to
delete and create folders depending on what i'm doing. I tend to do
this for my "themes" folder for my website, so that i test swapping
out new themes by backing up the original themes folder and nenaming
the new themes folder to "theme". Now i am able to go back and forth
with this many times. But occassionally, there will come a time where
i can't delete the folder when i want to revert to the origianal. My
first thought is usually that some other app, or IIS may have a file
in that folder open. But then i go through and close all apps and
STILL i can't delete that folder.

IT appears there may be a lingering file lock on some files in that
folder or on the folder itself. Does anyone know of a tool to see
what apps or processes might have a lock on that folder? Also, since
i am the ADMIN of my box, why can't i force a delete of that folder
somehow?

thanks of any advice.

why?

On 11 Feb 2007 08:59:06 -0800, farseer wrote:

>Ok, for years i've had to deal with this on and off. Now that i am
>all grown up and over 30, i figured i should stop procrastinating and

So why keep going on, with a long story?

>ask why this happens and how to resolve. Here's the issue
>
>I have a website i am putting together. At times this means i need to
>delete and create folders depending on what i'm doing. I tend to do
>this for my "themes" folder for my website, so that i test swapping

CSS will rebrand a site very quickly, so will using the same file name
for all banners, logos. You just swap out the files.

>out new themes by backing up the original themes folder and nenaming
>the new themes folder to "theme". Now i am able to go back and forth
>with this many times. But occassionally, there will come a time where
>i can't delete the folder when i want to revert to the origianal. My
>first thought is usually that some other app, or IIS may have a file

IIS on your server of the remote webhosting server.

>in that folder open. But then i go through and close all apps and
>STILL i can't delete that folder.

So you closed, AV, Anti Spyware, Index contents is off.

It's not trivial to write an app to check for file locks in other apps.

>IT appears there may be a lingering file lock on some files in that
>folder or on the folder itself. Does anyone know of a tool to see

A reboot works wonders.

The best you could do is ,

Often mentioned in 24HSHD, www.sysinternals.com see process explorer
first, then perhaps diskmon , filemon and process monitor (which is
part filemon and regmon together).
or
Make sure you have closed AV, ASpy apps, indexing, maybe even a 3rd
party undelete recycle bin.

>what apps or processes might have a lock on that folder? Also, since
>i am the ADMIN of my box, why can't i force a delete of that folder
>somehow?

You aren't locking the folder, a process is so it's open no matter what
account..

Then of course you will have already tried, www.google.com or
http://support.microsoft.com and also found

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242131
which points back to sysinternals from a simple search you could have
done.

>thanks of any advice.

Me