Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cable modem

cable modem

Doug Jones

DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time even when
the computer is shut down?

Otter

In news:R2Zyh.292639$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk,
Doug Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

> DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time even
> when
> the computer is shut down?

No, it's not necessary, but most people leave their ADSL modems connected
and turned on. You might consider turning off and disconnecting your modem
from the telephone line if there is lightning about.

Meat Plow

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:53:20 +1100, Otter Has Frothed:

> In news:R2Zyh.292639$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk,
> Doug Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>>
>> DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time even
>> when
>> the computer is shut down?

> No, it's not necessary, but most people leave their ADSL modems connected
> and turned on. You might consider turning off and disconnecting your modem
> from the telephone line if there is lightning about.

AHEM:

Subject: cable modem

COOSN-266-06-25794

why?

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:38:25 GMT, Doug Jones wrote:

Twerp putting your msg below the sig line, it's been cut off.

You could always ask, or see previous opinions on the subject in the
internal BY newsgroups.

You can turn it off however I think somewhere it says in BY T&C you have
to leave it on to get updates etc.

Turning it off for a holiday break should be okay.

Me

The Old Sourdough

On 2007-02-09, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Otter waxed eloquently:
> In news:R2Zyh.292639$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk,
> Doug Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>>
>> DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time even
>> when
>> the computer is shut down?

> No, it's not necessary, but most people leave their ADSL modems connected
> and turned on. You might consider turning off and disconnecting your modem
> from the telephone line if there is lightning about.

It's always recommended to disconnect one's *cable* modem from the
phone line, since it works *much* better connected to the cable....

--
The Old Sourdough
theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

The Old Sourdough

On 2007-02-09, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, The Demon Prince of Absurdity
waxed eloquently:

snip

> I always keep my cable modem unplugged from the phone jack. Call me
> crazy...

I keep my dsl modem unplugged from the cable outlet. I've found it works
much better that way....

--
The Old Sourdough
theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com
If at first you don't succeed, the Hell with it

Otter

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
The Old Sourdough <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> On 2007-02-09, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, The Demon Prince of
> Absurdity waxed eloquently:
>
> snip
>

>> I always keep my cable modem unplugged from the phone jack. Call me
>> crazy...
>>

> I keep my dsl modem unplugged from the cable outlet. I've found it
> works much better that way....

A deliberate ploy to see who was awake.

Vanguard

"Doug Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R2Zyh.292639$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...

> --
> DG Jones, is it necessary to have the modem connected all the time
> even when
> the computer is shut down?

Since everything in your post was after the sigdash delimiter used to
denote the start of the signature, the body of your post is empty.
Beware that some NNTP client can be configured to strip out the fluff of
signatures so your post would appear completely blank.