Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > backup exe question

backup exe question

MikeF

Does anyone know if backup from 2003 Server will run on Win 2000?
And what files are needed besides the exe?
thanks!

BTW, Microsoft came up with a snappy name for something:
"Sector Inspector (SecInspect.exe)
SecInspect.exe is a command-line diagnostics tool that allows
administrators to view the contents of master boot records, boot
sectors, and IA64 GUID partition tables. Additional features include
creating hex dumps of binary files and backup/restore of sector
ranges.
Quick Overview
Sector Inspector is a flexible diagnostics tool for safely collecting
disk and file system-related data for offline analysis. Sector
Inspector has additional features that allow backup and restore of
sector ranges for use with other disk editing tools. Because low-level
disk access is performed, administrator privileges are required to use
most features of Sector Inspector."

Some guy who wrote a DOS prog called that 10 yrs ago will probably sue
for eight million

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Mike

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=

----- MikeF wrote: ----

Does anyone know if backup from 2003 Server will run on Win 2000

Yes. Easily. So I am not sure if we are thinking of the same thing. Are you talking about Backup Exec, or some other third party product, or the built-in backup product that I think you are referring to? Either works. Check www.veritas.com for more info on Backup Exec if you have to; I have 8.6 installed on some Windows 2003 boxes and it works a treat

And what files are needed besides the exe

This is the bit that I can't figure out what you mean. Are you planning on transferring files from one machine to another, rather than doing the install that the product ships with? If so, then it will not work. All backup products run specific dll and other files to talk to the hardware for starters. It is definitely NOT possible to move files from one Windows install to another

Laurence

If I understand correctly you want to use the Win2003
backup utility on Win2K. No you cannot do it. Just moving
the exe will not work. The utility is tied into the OS
too deeply and the 2003 utility has features that are not
compatable with 2K.

MF

Apologies for not being clearer.

Yes, I'm interested in using the backup program from Win 2003 in Win 2000,
because it will recognize CD and DVD drives. I didn't think it would but
couldn't find any articles about that on MS website.

BTW, Marko, a few windows programs will run without being installed - a few
if you copy the files, a few if they have been installed in a windows
installation different from the one you're using when you invoke them. I
just did the latter yesterday with Acrobat Reader. I didn't think that
would work either, but tried it because the computer was not hooked to the
internet and things like that have occasionally worked before, and it did.

Thanks,

Mike

"MikeF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if backup from 2003 Server will run on Win 2000?
> And what files are needed besides the exe?
> thanks!
>
> BTW, Microsoft came up with a snappy name for something:
> "Sector Inspector (SecInspect.exe)
> SecInspect.exe is a command-line diagnostics tool that allows
> administrators to view the contents of master boot records, boot
> sectors, and IA64 GUID partition tables. Additional features include
> creating hex dumps of binary files and backup/restore of sector
> ranges.
> Quick Overview
> Sector Inspector is a flexible diagnostics tool for safely collecting
> disk and file system-related data for offline analysis. Sector
> Inspector has additional features that allow backup and restore of
> sector ranges for use with other disk editing tools. Because low-level
> disk access is performed, administrator privileges are required to use
> most features of Sector Inspector."
>
> Some guy who wrote a DOS prog called that 10 yrs ago will probably sue
> for eight million
>
> HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
>
> Mike

Roger Abell [MVP]

I am just curious, but why did you ask instead of
just trying it ??

"MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Apologies for not being clearer.
>
> Yes, I'm interested in using the backup program from Win 2003 in Win 2000,
> because it will recognize CD and DVD drives. I didn't think it would but
> couldn't find any articles about that on MS website.
>
> BTW, Marko, a few windows programs will run without being installed - a

few
> if you copy the files, a few if they have been installed in a windows
> installation different from the one you're using when you invoke them. I
> just did the latter yesterday with Acrobat Reader. I didn't think that
> would work either, but tried it because the computer was not hooked to

the
> internet and things like that have occasionally worked before, and it did.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> "MikeF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone know if backup from 2003 Server will run on Win 2000?
> > And what files are needed besides the exe?
> > thanks!
> >
> > BTW, Microsoft came up with a snappy name for something:
> > "Sector Inspector (SecInspect.exe)
> > SecInspect.exe is a command-line diagnostics tool that allows
> > administrators to view the contents of master boot records, boot
> > sectors, and IA64 GUID partition tables. Additional features include
> > creating hex dumps of binary files and backup/restore of sector
> > ranges.
> > Quick Overview
> > Sector Inspector is a flexible diagnostics tool for safely collecting
> > disk and file system-related data for offline analysis. Sector
> > Inspector has additional features that allow backup and restore of
> > sector ranges for use with other disk editing tools. Because low-level
> > disk access is performed, administrator privileges are required to use
> > most features of Sector Inspector."
> >
> > Some guy who wrote a DOS prog called that 10 yrs ago will probably sue
> > for eight million
> >
> > HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
> >
> > Mike

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=

----- Roger Abell [MVP] wrote: -----

I am just curious, but why did you ask instead of
just trying it ??

Thanks, Roger, that's one of the things that had me all confused. I assumed that the question wasn't written correctly when in fact it was.

Mike - there are third party applications that will do what you want. Google search....

MikeF

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am just curious, but why did you ask instead of
> just trying it ??

Means and opportunity when the motive struck. I was looking over
posts in this group when I wondered about it. I already have third
party apps that will do it, but not running on that installation of
Windows. So I was thinking about installing one, wondered if the
2003 version would work, and just started typing .

Mike