Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Card reader suddenly not recognized (XP SP2)

Card reader suddenly not recognized (XP SP2)

TommyC

I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
it suddenly stopped working.

When I start my XP SP 2 computer, I get a little warning bubble in the
system tray on startup saying I have an unrecognized device, and to plug
it in again. But it remains unrecognized. If I look in device manager,
I have a long list of USB devices, but it says "unrecognized USB device"
or something to that effect for the card reader.

Using the same reader and USB cable on a different computer, the reader
works fine.

The other USB devices on this computer work fine, and I've tried
plugging everything into different USB ports.

I have tried uninstalling the card reader alone, and all the USB
devices, and restarting the computer. The card reader alone fails to
install.

The PNY web site specifically says that this model card reader only
requires drivers for Win98 and it's plug and play after that.

Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized. I can't provide more
specific information about the problem because the computer in question
is now turned off.

But I'd like to hear the thoughts of people about this issue and how it
might be resolved. Again, the same reader/cable combination work fine
on a different computer, and every other USB device on the computer
works fine, independent of what port I plug them into.

TommyC

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
> discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
> it suddenly stopped working.

[snip]

> Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
> the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
> for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
> getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized.

Okay, it worked for me too. Computer was powered down and unplugged for
30 minutes, and when I restarted it, it recognized the card reader.
Very weird, and I'd still like to know what went wrong, but at least in
the end it went right for me.

Toby

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
> > discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
> > it suddenly stopped working.
> >

> [snip]
>

> > Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
> > the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
> > for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
> > getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized.

> Okay, it worked for me too. Computer was powered down and unplugged for
> 30 minutes, and when I restarted it, it recognized the card reader.
> Very weird, and I'd still like to know what went wrong, but at least in
> the end it went right for me.

On my Mac just un-plugging the card reader for about five seconds and
then plugging it in again makes it work.

Why does an XP computer require 30 minutes to get un-constipated.

Douglas W Hoyt

Sometimes I have to remove my card reader for 2 seconds from my XP computer
then re-insert it before it is recognized. The question I have is why it
takes close to 40 minutes for a Mac user in this thread to take a dump?

Dave Cohen

Toby wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
>>> discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
>>> it suddenly stopped working.
>>>

>> [snip]
>>
>>> Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
>>> the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
>>> for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
>>> getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized.

>> Okay, it worked for me too. Computer was powered down and unplugged for
>> 30 minutes, and when I restarted it, it recognized the card reader.
>> Very weird, and I'd still like to know what went wrong, but at least in
>> the end it went right for me.

> On my Mac just un-plugging the card reader for about five seconds and
> then plugging it in again makes it work.
>
> Why does an XP computer require 30 minutes to get un-constipated.

Half an hour is probably a bit conservative, but a quick off/on doesn't
always do it. My winxp boots slowly with a micro cruzer plugged in and
the drive is not recognized, fine when I hot install. This is a bios
issue as well, my machine is over a couple of years old. I don't have
this problem with a pny flash drive or card reader. Just for the heck of
it take a look at the bios settings and see anything has changed there.
Dave Cohen

Toby

In article <qmwyh.100$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Douglas W Hoyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sometimes I have to remove my card reader for 2 seconds from my XP computer
> then re-insert it before it is recognized. The question I have is why it
> takes close to 40 minutes for a Mac user in this thread to take a dump?

Gee, when was that discussed and concluded? Or is scatology the driving
force behind the Windoz clan.

SkyWatcher

TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:m-1E369B.19531307022007
@news.mozilla.giganews.com:

> I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
> discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it,

but
> it suddenly stopped working.
>
> When I start my XP SP 2 computer, I get a little warning bubble in the
> system tray on startup saying I have an unrecognized device, and to

plug
> it in again. But it remains unrecognized. If I look in device

manager,
> I have a long list of USB devices, but it says "unrecognized USB

device"
> or something to that effect for the card reader.
>
> Using the same reader and USB cable on a different computer, the

reader
> works fine.
>
> The other USB devices on this computer work fine, and I've tried
> plugging everything into different USB ports.
>
> I have tried uninstalling the card reader alone, and all the USB
> devices, and restarting the computer. The card reader alone fails to
> install.
>
> The PNY web site specifically says that this model card reader only
> requires drivers for Win98 and it's plug and play after that.
>
> Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have

powered
> the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
> for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
> getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized. I can't provide more
> specific information about the problem because the computer in

question
> is now turned off.
>
> But I'd like to hear the thoughts of people about this issue and how

it
> might be resolved. Again, the same reader/cable combination work fine
> on a different computer, and every other USB device on the computer
> works fine, independent of what port I plug them into.

i had this problem b-4 and the way i got it fixed was to run a registery
cleaner, reboot, and everything was k.o.

peace.

Douglas W Hoyt

>>>Or is scatology the driving force behind the Windoz clan.

The real question is why Mac afficianados never wear one in the pouring
rain. (Very strange).

Ron Hunter

TommyC wrote:
> I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
> discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
> it suddenly stopped working.
>
> When I start my XP SP 2 computer, I get a little warning bubble in the
> system tray on startup saying I have an unrecognized device, and to plug
> it in again. But it remains unrecognized. If I look in device manager,
> I have a long list of USB devices, but it says "unrecognized USB device"
> or something to that effect for the card reader.
>
> Using the same reader and USB cable on a different computer, the reader
> works fine.
>
> The other USB devices on this computer work fine, and I've tried
> plugging everything into different USB ports.
>
> I have tried uninstalling the card reader alone, and all the USB
> devices, and restarting the computer. The card reader alone fails to
> install.
>
> The PNY web site specifically says that this model card reader only
> requires drivers for Win98 and it's plug and play after that.
>
> Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
> the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
> for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
> getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized. I can't provide more
> specific information about the problem because the computer in question
> is now turned off.
>
> But I'd like to hear the thoughts of people about this issue and how it
> might be resolved. Again, the same reader/cable combination work fine
> on a different computer, and every other USB device on the computer
> works fine, independent of what port I plug them into.

"It's dead Jim".

There are any number of fine card readers available for under $10. Buy
one, and stop worrying about it.

Ron Hunter

Toby wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> TommyC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an inexpensive PNY 8-in-1 card reader that I bought at BJs (US
>>> discount house). It's worked great for the three years I've had it, but
>>> it suddenly stopped working.
>>>

>> [snip]
>>
>>> Right now, I am trying another trick I read on the web: I have powered
>>> the XP computer down and unplugged it and I'm letting it sit unplugged
>>> for 30 minutes. I have read that this has actually worked at times in
>>> getting unrecognized devices to be rerecognized.

>> Okay, it worked for me too. Computer was powered down and unplugged for
>> 30 minutes, and when I restarted it, it recognized the card reader.
>> Very weird, and I'd still like to know what went wrong, but at least in
>> the end it went right for me.

> On my Mac just un-plugging the card reader for about five seconds and
> then plugging it in again makes it work.
>
> Why does an XP computer require 30 minutes to get un-constipated.

It doesn't. That's to let the user get unstressed. Grin.