Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Using go daddy Hosting and need htaccess file

Using go daddy Hosting and need htaccess file

up for the game

Hi
I am using godaddy to host my site and I would like to give each of
the kids a subfolder to work with but want to keep them out of each
other's and my folders.
I am told that using htaccess would do the job for me but am unable to
find a clear way to do it. Lots of examples but none specific for me
to give it a try.
I found some sample code but none explain what/where the
usercode/password combination is nor where you enter it and if it can
be changed.
I would appreciate any first hand info.
Thanks
Joe

ps here is what I could find on the godaddy support site:

To protect a directory in your hosting account with a password, in
that directory, create an .htaccess file that contains the following:

AuthUserFile /home/content/l/o/g/login_name/html/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName EnterPassword
AuthType Basic

require valid-user
Where "l," "o," and "g" are the first three letters of your hosting
login and "login_name" is your full hosting login. For example, the
hosting login "maynard" would translate to the following path:

/home/content/m/a/y/maynard/html/.htpasswd
The AuthUserFile describes where the Web server looks for the
..htpasswd file. The .htpasswd file contains a list of users who have
access to a protected directory and their hashed passwords. There are
a number of tools available online to create .htpasswd files.

....I am not sure where to enter the usercode/password on the site.

West Alarm

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:02:07 -0500, up for the game
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am using godaddy to host m

<snip>

The control panel should have a mechanism to create .htaccess for you.