Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot see workgroup computers by ''view workgroup computers'' - important!

Cannot see workgroup computers by ''view workgroup computers'' - important!

kimiraikkonen

My notebook has WinXP Home SP2 with Windows Firewall is disabled. And
i share files in with my main computer(desktop and Windows 2000 SP4)

The problem is: Although all of important services are set to
''automatic'' and NetBios Over TCP ip is ON.

1-With 2 computers are opened, When i click ''view workgroup
computers'' from my NOTEBOOK, i cannot see any computers including my
computer. But i type my computers name by entering it to ''run'' field
area (start -> run -> \\CompName ) i can access the main
computer(desktop).

Interestingly, when click ''view workgroup computers'' option from my
DESKTOP machine, i can see the all of computers.

What is the matter?

Why cannot see all the computers on the network when i click ''view
workgroup computers'' from my NOTEBOOK.

2-Although my main computer is not prompted for a password during OS
login, (automatic login), i had to type ''Administrator'' to connect
my main (desktop) computer from my notebook. I tried several things
with no luck whic removes username and password prompt requirement
when connecting to my main computer.

Also i want to indicate this on some computers which have SP2 with
''Windows Firewall'' , i had to disable Windows Firewall to prevent
lock ups hangs when the main computer is closed.

So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

Please help.

Best regards...

Gordon

kimiraikkonen wrote:

> So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

well you won't get any...this is not a microsoft group.....

--
Microsoft doesn't release software - it escapes

Evan Platt

On 6 Feb 2007 12:28:08 -0800, "kimiraikkonen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

****, all MVP's, drop whatever you're doing. This is IMPORTANT.

Walter Mautner

kimiraikkonen wrote:

> My notebook has WinXP Home SP2 with Windows Firewall is disabled. And
> i share files in with my main computer(desktop and Windows 2000 SP4)
>
> The problem is: Although all of important services are set to
> ''automatic'' and NetBios Over TCP ip is ON.
>
> 1-With 2 computers are opened, When i click ''view workgroup
> computers'' from my NOTEBOOK, i cannot see any computers including my
> computer. But i type my computers name by entering it to ''run'' field
> area (start -> run -> \\CompName ) i can access the main
> computer(desktop).
>
> Interestingly, when click ''view workgroup computers'' option from my
> DESKTOP machine, i can see the all of computers.
>
> What is the matter?

Can be a hundred matters, but what matters? Importance?

> Why cannot see all the computers on the network when i click ''view
> workgroup computers'' from my NOTEBOOK.
>
> 2-Although my main computer is not prompted for a password during OS
> login, (automatic login), i had to type ''Administrator'' to connect
> my main (desktop) computer from my notebook. I tried several things
> with no luck whic removes username and password prompt requirement
> when connecting to my main computer.

I assume workgroup name is the same on both.
You may need a matching account _with_ a password (equal on both 'puters) to
actually be able to share files - xp refuses to accept incoming requests
from a passwordless one, by default (otherwise with xphome, anyone would be
able to break in as administrator which usually is available only in safe
mode and almost noone ever sets a password for that one)
- network name broadcasting can take up to 15 minutes, use lmhosts (search
for lmhosts.sam file, edit it according to the comments therein, save the
edited file as "lmhosts" _without_ extension) if you have static ip
addresses.

> Also i want to indicate this on some computers which have SP2 with
> ''Windows Firewall'' , i had to disable Windows Firewall to prevent
> lock ups hangs when the main computer is closed.

You should unmap network drives from the "server" before shutting it down.

> So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

LOL.

kimiraikkonen

On Feb 6, 11:51 pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> kimiraikkonen wrote:
> > So i especially expect messages from MVPs.

> well you won't get any...this is not a microsoft group.....
>
> --
> Microsoft doesn't release software - it escapes

Gordon, Even Platt, What is your problem? Is there any restriction for
opening topic to this group? There are lots of topics related to
different subjects including MS in this group.

Walter, anyway thanks for your technical advice but the ''importance''
is for me even it is not yours, you and nobody answers...

Walter Mautner

kimiraikkonen wrote:

> Walter, anyway thanks for your technical advice but the ''importance''
> is for me even it is not yours, you and nobody answers...

I hope you could somehow sort it out.
"Importance", when mentioned in newsgroups, will always get you replies
like "hire a professional if it is of vital importance to you".