Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking to share folder on XP Pro system with XP Home unit

Looking to share folder on XP Pro system with XP Home unit

up for the game

Hi
I have an XP Pro system and I need to get at a particular subdirectory
from my XP Home machine and am unable to do so. All the regular Share
preliminary work has been done--or so I thought--and I am able to see
the folders created by Windows but not the new folder.

The share on the folder(actually the entire C Drive too) is set to
'Everyone'.

I would appreciate any and all assistance.
Thank You.
Joe

WhzzKdd

up for the game wrote:
> Hi
> I have an XP Pro system and I need to get at a particular subdirectory
> from my XP Home machine and am unable to do so. All the regular Share
> preliminary work has been done--or so I thought--and I am able to see
> the folders created by Windows but not the new folder.
>
> The share on the folder(actually the entire C Drive too) is set to
> 'Everyone'.
>
> I would appreciate any and all assistance.
> Thank You.
> Joe

How are you networked? Did you run the home network setup wizard on both
computers?

up for the game

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:02:32 -0800, "WhzzKdd"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>up for the game wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have an XP Pro system and I need to get at a particular subdirectory
>> from my XP Home machine and am unable to do so. All the regular Share
>> preliminary work has been done--or so I thought--and I am able to see
>> the folders created by Windows but not the new folder.
>>
>> The share on the folder(actually the entire C Drive too) is set to
>> 'Everyone'.
>>
>> I would appreciate any and all assistance.
>> Thank You.
>> Joe

>How are you networked? Did you run the home network setup wizard on both
>computers?

Hi
Thanks for the note.
The machines connect via wire though a switch. I did not run the
wizard, but just shared the drive/folder on the Pro Machine and made
sure both were part of a workgroup called 'workgroup'. I made up an
'Everyone' in the types and findit intriguing that the Home machine
can see Docs and Settings, Program Files and even the Windows folders
on the Pro machine, but, naturally, not the folder I wanted.

Do I need to do the wizard thing on both machines?
Coincidently, both machines have the use named 'user' and neither use
a password.

I hope this helps to clear things up a bit.

Thanks
Joe

WhzzKdd

up for the game wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:02:32 -0800, "WhzzKdd"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> up for the game wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I have an XP Pro system and I need to get at a particular
>>> subdirectory from my XP Home machine and am unable to do so. All
>>> the regular Share preliminary work has been done--or so I
>>> thought--and I am able to see the folders created by Windows but
>>> not the new folder.
>>>
>>> The share on the folder(actually the entire C Drive too) is set to
>>> 'Everyone'.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any and all assistance.
>>> Thank You.
>>> Joe

>> How are you networked? Did you run the home network setup wizard on
>> both computers?
>>

> Hi
> Thanks for the note.
> The machines connect via wire though a switch. I did not run the
> wizard, but just shared the drive/folder on the Pro Machine and made
> sure both were part of a workgroup called 'workgroup'. I made up an
> 'Everyone' in the types and findit intriguing that the Home machine
> can see Docs and Settings, Program Files and even the Windows folders
> on the Pro machine, but, naturally, not the folder I wanted.
>
> Do I need to do the wizard thing on both machines?
> Coincidently, both machines have the use named 'user' and neither use
> a password.
>
> I hope this helps to clear things up a bit.
>
> Thanks
> Joe

Yeah - run the wizard on both systems. It helps set the firewall and
protocols, things like that. See if that works.

Walter Mautner

up for the game wrote:

> Hi
> I have an XP Pro system and I need to get at a particular subdirectory
> from my XP Home machine and am unable to do so. All the regular Share
> preliminary work has been done--or so I thought--and I am able to see
> the folders created by Windows but not the new folder.

You see the parent but cannot get to the subdirectory?
Now, do you see the entry at all, when going down the tree and get some
error message (which one?) or you cannot go _any_where at all even though
you see the shares?
Usually setting up a local network boils down to
- make sure xp firewall allows "file and print sharing" for the local
network. That are ports 137-139 and (mainly for XP) 445, tcp and udp
- have the same workgroup set
- have matching user accounts _with_ passwords, since by default
passwordless accounts are prohibited from remote access
- disable "simple file sharing" (it only confuses, in particular when trying
to network with a different OS)
- set share _and_ filesystem permissions accordingly: with xphome you may
want to logon to "safe mode" so you can access the "permissions" tab, when
uncertain (damned crippled system)

P.S.: waiting for K-Man <BITCHSLAP>

up for the game

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 07:42:06 +0100, Walter Mautner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>up for the game wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I have an XP Pro system and I need to get at a particular subdirectory
>> from my XP Home machine and am unable to do so. All the regular Share
>> preliminary work has been done--or so I thought--and I am able to see
>> the folders created by Windows but not the new folder.
>>

>You see the parent but cannot get to the subdirectory?
>Now, do you see the entry at all, when going down the tree and get some
>error message (which one?) or you cannot go _any_where at all even though
>you see the shares?
>Usually setting up a local network boils down to
>- make sure xp firewall allows "file and print sharing" for the local
>network. That are ports 137-139 and (mainly for XP) 445, tcp and udp
>- have the same workgroup set
>- have matching user accounts _with_ passwords, since by default
>passwordless accounts are prohibited from remote access
>- disable "simple file sharing" (it only confuses, in particular when trying
>to network with a different OS)
>- set share _and_ filesystem permissions accordingly: with xphome you may
>want to logon to "safe mode" so you can access the "permissions" tab, when
>uncertain (damned crippled system)
>
>P.S.: waiting for K-Man <BITCHSLAP>

Thanks for the note.
Sounds like I need to have passwords....I did not do that as they just
cause me grief, but it looks like not doing it may cause issues too.
I will get to it tonite.
Joe