Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unerasing Erased Contents of Recycle Bin

Unerasing Erased Contents of Recycle Bin

Martin

Hello,

My OS is XP Pro SP2.

Integrated with my Recycle Bin is Eraser 5.7 from
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php.

I have Norton AV 2007 which does not include a file unerase function.

Earlier today, I transferred several crucial Word docs onto a floppy. Due to
not having enough space on the floppy, I deleted them, thinking that they
were still in the folder on my desktop.

When I subsequently went to access them in the folder, they were missing. It
was only then did I realize that I had not copied, but rather cut-and-pasted
them onto the floppy. I then erased them from the Recycle Bin, using Eraser
5.7.

I used System Restore, going back until last Friday. Unfortunately, that did
not restore my Word docs.

The docs are extremely crucial to me as I need them for everyday work.

Is there any way that I can restore/access them without having to re-create
each and every one of them?

To say the least, I thank you in advance for helping me restore my docs.

Martin

thanatoid

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cLxxh.108685$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Hello,
>
> My OS is XP Pro SP2.
>
> Integrated with my Recycle Bin is Eraser 5.7 from
> http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php.
>
> I have Norton AV 2007 which does not include a file unerase
> function.
>
> Earlier today, I transferred several crucial Word docs onto
> a floppy. Due to not having enough space on the floppy, I
> deleted them, thinking that they were still in the folder
> on my desktop.
>
> When I subsequently went to access them in the folder, they
> were missing. It was only then did I realize that I had not
> copied, but rather cut-and-pasted them onto the floppy. I
> then erased them from the Recycle Bin, using Eraser 5.7.
>
> I used System Restore, going back until last Friday.
> Unfortunately, that did not restore my Word docs.
>
> The docs are extremely crucial to me as I need them for
> everyday work.
>
> Is there any way that I can restore/access them without
> having to re-create each and every one of them?
>
> To say the least, I thank you in advance for helping me
> restore my docs.
>
> Martin

As far as I can understand the post, you're SOL. WHY did you
"ERASE" the recycle bin right away? Even thanatoid occasionally
keeps things in there for a day or two. Not to mention just
deleting what's in it usually does the job - and would make
recovery MUCH easier. Now it may be impossible.

BUT. If you have separate partitions for system and work etc.
and have done nothing or almost nothing on the partition the
documents were on, you can possibly (I don't know HOW much of a
mess "eraser" makes of data) recover them using something as
simple as "recovery"
(known as "rest2514", for "restoration", free, all over the
place), or some costlier yet possibly more thorough "undelete"
program, such as "active@undelete" (that's not an email
address), my personal favorite. Those work with floppies too -
unless you have overwritten the floppy, you might want to try
that as well.

In the future (I suppose I really don't HAVE to say this) don't
be so quick to shred things. System restores are usually no
help, but doing a daily or twice-daily backup (thousands of
"free and up" backup programs all over the place) might be a
good idea for someone like you.

Good luck.

Walter Mautner

Martin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My OS is XP Pro SP2.
>
> Integrated with my Recycle Bin is Eraser 5.7 from
> http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php.
>
> I have Norton AV 2007 which does not include a file unerase function.
>
> Earlier today, I transferred several crucial Word docs onto a floppy. Due
> to not having enough space on the floppy, I deleted them, thinking that
> they were still in the folder on my desktop.

Do you always work blind, without noticing the errormessages on the desktop?

> When I subsequently went to access them in the folder, they were missing.
> It was only then did I realize that I had not copied, but rather
> cut-and-pasted them onto the floppy. I then erased them from the Recycle
> Bin, using Eraser 5.7.

When you realized that, _then_ you used eraser to make the accident
complete? Self-sabotage?

> I used System Restore, going back until last Friday. Unfortunately, that
> did not restore my Word docs.

System restore only deals with changes in programs, windows files and
registry. It does not monitor/touch the "my documents" hierarchy.

> The docs are extremely crucial to me as I need them for everyday work.
>
> Is there any way that I can restore/access them without having to
> re-create each and every one of them?

Since you "erased" them, which usually means overwrite with random data
multiple times, I fear you are lost.

pcbutts1

Try this from the makers of Crap Cleaner http://www.recuva.com/

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cLxxh.108685$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hello,
>
> My OS is XP Pro SP2.
>
> Integrated with my Recycle Bin is Eraser 5.7 from
> http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php.
>
> I have Norton AV 2007 which does not include a file unerase function.
>
> Earlier today, I transferred several crucial Word docs onto a floppy. Due
> not having enough space on the floppy, I deleted them, thinking that they
> were still in the folder on my desktop.
>
> When I subsequently went to access them in the folder, they were missing.
> It
> was only then did I realize that I had not copied, but rather
> cut-and-pasted
> them onto the floppy. I then erased them from the Recycle Bin, using
> Eraser
> 5.7.
>
> I used System Restore, going back until last Friday. Unfortunately, that
> did
> not restore my Word docs.
>
> The docs are extremely crucial to me as I need them for everyday work.
>
> Is there any way that I can restore/access them without having to
> re-create
> each and every one of them?
>
> To say the least, I thank you in advance for helping me restore my docs.
>
> Martin

Where do i find the recycle bin? XP PRO with norton protected bin Quiz Time Computer Support 6 06-27-2004 11:13 AM
Folder stuck in Recycle Bin Ivan MCSE 2 08-02-2003 03:08 AM
Re: nortons recycle bin? °Mike° Computer Support 0 06-24-2003 05:39 PM
Re: nortons recycle bin? Šaz ©. Computer Support 0 06-24-2003 04:34 PM

Advertisments