Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Backing up windows

Backing up windows

quickquestion@mailinator.com

I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.

What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
DVDs, probably only one dvd.

Is there any software (or instructions on how to make and restore
manually made zip files or other backups stored on DVD) that will
allow me to reliably backup and restore just the files I need to get
back into my working windows environment?

Gordon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
> allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.
>
> What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
> Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
> drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
> DVDs, probably only one dvd.

Unless you do a disk image, why bother? You already have backups of your
system and program files - on your Windows CD and the program install
CDs.....

On Feb 1, 10:02 am, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> >I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
> > allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.

> > What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
> > Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
> > drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
> > DVDs, probably only one dvd.

> Unless you do a disk image, why bother? You already have backups of your
> system and program files - on your Windows CD and the program install
> CDs.....

My settings, my wallpaper, my startup files, my program installations,
pretty much everything except my data files which I can back up
separately or just lose if it comes to that.

I take it though that you don't know of any software or method to make
one or two dvds worth of recoverable backups?

Evan Platt

On 1 Feb 2007 08:01:50 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I take it though that you don't know of any software or method to make
>one or two dvds worth of recoverable backups?

No. Not at all.

Gordon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> my program installations,

You cannot "backup" your program files unless you do a Disk image. You
cannot just copy program files back to a HDD and expect them to work. You
either have to use a Disk image, or re-install the programs, so either use a
Disk image of EVERYTHING, or just re-install from your program installation
media....

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
> allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.
>
> What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
> Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
> drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
> DVDs, probably only one dvd.

And the root directory. And the boot blocks. And the ...

No, better to just backup the whole thing.

Not to mention all the stuff in the "Documents & Settings" tree per
user that's required for software to operate.

> Is there any software (or instructions on how to make and restore
> manually made zip files or other backups stored on DVD) that will
> allow me to reliably backup and restore just the files I need to get
> back into my working windows environment?

You need more than those to "get back into MY working windows
environment". Such as the D&S tree.

What's wrong with backing up the whole drive?

THAT said - what version of Ghost are you using?

Corporate versions used to enable you to skip directories on a
backup. I've never done that, because it seems like a not-smart thing to do
IMO. But eh.

RwP

WhzzKdd

Gordon wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> my program installations,

> You cannot "backup" your program files unless you do a Disk image. You
> cannot just copy program files back to a HDD and expect them to work.
> You either have to use a Disk image, or re-install the programs, so
> either use a Disk image of EVERYTHING, or just re-install from your
> program installation media....

Since the OP wants only the Windows installation and installed programs,
they could temporarily migrate their data to a different location, image the
drive, then return the data.

Of course, that would require having say, a spare hard drive or two laying
around. Doesn't everyone? <g>

old man

cannot be done, excepting via an imaging app

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
> allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.
>
> What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
> Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
> drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
> DVDs, probably only one dvd.
>
> Is there any software (or instructions on how to make and restore
> manually made zip files or other backups stored on DVD) that will
> allow me to reliably backup and restore just the files I need to get
> back into my working windows environment?

Daave

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I just tried Norton Ghost and to my disappointment, it only seems to
> allow backing up an entire hard drive at a time.
>
> What software (preferably free) could I use to reliably back up only
> Windows, System and Program files? I have 50gigs of data on my C:
> drive, but I could definitely fit Windows and my Program files on two
> DVDs, probably only one dvd.
>
> Is there any software (or instructions on how to make and restore
> manually made zip files or other backups stored on DVD) that will
> allow me to reliably backup and restore just the files I need to get
> back into my working windows environment?

1. Back up all your data (word processing documents, spreadsheets,
multimedia files, e-mail folders, etc.) to another medium (e.g.,
external hard drive or one or more DVDs).

2. Delete all the above from your computer.

3. Make an image of what is left on your hard drive (basically your OS
with all the service packs and updates, all your applications, and
various settings). I'm pretty sure this would fit on one DVD since
you're not creating a clone, but I defer to the experts. An external
hard drive is always an option, too; I just purchased a 250 GB Western
Digital "My Book" for $80 (after rebate, that is).

Now you have your backup. (Of course you can skip steps one and two
and just image the whole kit and caboodle...)

4. Copy all your data back to your computer.

Daniel Anderson

Give Iolo's http://www.iolo.com/sr/4/ Search and Recover a try.
They do one heck of a great job with their System Mechanic.

Regards,
Dan