Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > deletting bios password on laptop

deletting bios password on laptop

mike

I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to get
into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password is, what
can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the laptop before I
got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any suggestions??

Tony in Oz

Remove the CMOS Battery from the motherboard, leave it out for a while, then
replace it, and boot it up. OR: Put the reset jumper on the motherboard ,
leave it about 10 seconds, then remove it and reboot.
"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45bfd828$0$28113$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to get
> into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password is, what
> can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the laptop before I
> got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any suggestions??

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Tony in Oz wrote:
> Remove the CMOS Battery from the motherboard, leave it out for a while, then
> replace it, and boot it up. OR: Put the reset jumper on the motherboard ,
> leave it about 10 seconds, then remove it and reboot.

Can't anyone see the word "laptop" in the subject or body?

> "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45bfd828$0$28113$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to get
>>into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password is, what
>>can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the laptop before I
>>got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any suggestions??

Otter

In news:45c05f16$0$17043$(E-Mail Removed),
Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Tony in Oz wrote:
>> Remove the CMOS Battery from the motherboard, leave it out for a
>> while, then replace it, and boot it up. OR: Put the reset jumper on
>> the motherboard , leave it about 10 seconds, then remove it and
>> reboot.

> Can't anyone see the word "laptop" in the subject or body?

Yes. Care for a CMOSPwd?

Default LiveCD User

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:43:42 -0500, mike wrote:

> I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to get
> into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password is, what
> can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the laptop before I
> got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any suggestions??

Kill the bios to reset the password ie at least take out for a few
minutes the little battery on the motherboard. Get the details from the
motherboard manual, and to see what options you have in the bios - you
should already have it if you are trying to get into the bios.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

mike wrote:
> I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to get
> into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password is, what
> can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the laptop before I
> got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any suggestions??

As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

Otter

In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$(E-Mail Removed),
Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> mike wrote:
>> I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to
>> get into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password
>> is, what can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the
>> laptop before I got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any
>> suggestions??

> As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Otter wrote:
> In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$(E-Mail Removed),
> Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>>As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

> Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

Don't really know why there's a burr under your saddle when it comes to
my posts. If you'll look over the past decade or so of my posts, you'll
see that I don't aid and abet holders of stolen goods. I look at what I
have to go with, in this case a seemingly reasonable request for help,
and go from there.

And if you've been around this group long enough to learn, you'll go
easy with the "we'll" talk unless you have an evil twin sitting next to you.

John Holmes

mike "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to

get
> into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password is,

what
> can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the laptop before

> got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any suggestions??

In a DOS-box, type debug. At the debug prompt:

debug
-o 70 2E
-o 71 00
-q
(This will leave your drive settings as they are but clears most of the
rest)

AMI & Award Bios...

debug
-o 70 17
-o 71 17
-q
(Same)

debug
-o 70 FF
-o 71 17
-q
(In most cases, this will reset the entire CMOS)

--
You evil-smelling piece of smelly monkey zits.

Otter

In news:45c08875$0$9500$(E-Mail Removed),
Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Otter wrote:
>> In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$(E-Mail Removed),
>> Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>>> As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

>> Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

> Don't really know why there's a burr under your saddle when it comes
> to my posts. If you'll look over the past decade or so of my posts,
> you'll see that I don't aid and abet holders of stolen goods. I look at
> what
> I have to go with, in this case a seemingly reasonable request for
> help, and go from there.

Ok by me, but I don't have to agree with your position on any request.

> And if you've been around this group long enough to learn, you'll go
> easy with the "we'll" talk unless you have an evil twin sitting next
> to you.

I'm incorrigible.