Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mixing DDR & DDR@ Memory

Mixing DDR & DDR@ Memory

Martin Kallikak, Jr.

My notebook has one 200 pin SODIMM of 512 DDR2 4200 memory. I've got an old
200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.

If I added that slower DDR, would it help or hurt performance-- or not even
run?

Martin Kallikak, Jr.

Make that subject line DDR2...

"Martin Kallikak, Jr." <noone> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> My notebook has one 200 pin SODIMM of 512 DDR2 4200 memory. I've got an
> old 200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.
>
> If I added that slower DDR, would it help or hurt performance-- or not
> even run?

WhzzKdd

Martin Kallikak, Jr. wrote:
> My notebook has one 200 pin SODIMM of 512 DDR2 4200 memory. I've got
> an old 200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.
>
> If I added that slower DDR, would it help or hurt performance-- or
> not even run?

Hmmm...the crystal ball is cloudy...what kind of freakin' laptop are you
going on about?

Martin Kallikak, Jr.

"WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dKRvh.562$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Martin Kallikak, Jr. wrote:
>> My notebook has one 200 pin SODIMM of 512 DDR2 4200 memory. I've got
>> an old 200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.
>>
>> If I added that slower DDR, would it help or hurt performance-- or
>> not even run?

> Hmmm...the crystal ball is cloudy...what kind of freakin' laptop are you
> going on about?

Celeron M 410

WhzzKdd

Martin Kallikak, Jr. wrote:
> "WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dKRvh.562$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Martin Kallikak, Jr. wrote:
>>> My notebook has one 200 pin SODIMM of 512 DDR2 4200 memory. I've got
>>> an old 200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.
>>>
>>> If I added that slower DDR, would it help or hurt performance-- or
>>> not even run?

>> Hmmm...the crystal ball is cloudy...what kind of freakin' laptop are
>> you going on about?
>>

> Celeron M 410

That wasn't much help. But I'd postulate that if you put in RAM that's half
the speed of the current, it would slow the bugger way down, if it works at
all.

Vanguard

"Martin Kallikak, Jr." <noone> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> My notebook has one 200 pin SODIMM of 512 DDR2 4200 memory. I've got
> an old 200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.
>
> If I added that slower DDR, would it help or hurt performance-- or not
> even run?

So you think you have a freak laptop that takes both DDR and DDR2 memory
sticks, huh?

Vanguard

"Martin Kallikak, Jr." <noone> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dKRvh.562$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Martin Kallikak, Jr. wrote:
>>> My notebook has one 200 pin SODIMM of 512 DDR2 4200 memory. I've got
>>> an old 200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.
>>>
>>> If I added that slower DDR, would it help or hurt performance-- or
>>> not even run?

>> Hmmm...the crystal ball is cloudy...what kind of freakin' laptop are
>> you going on about?
>>

> Celeron M 410

And you can't even tell the difference between a processor brand and
model and a *laptop* brand and model. Obviously you should never ever
get inside your laptop and take it to a computer shop to have all
upgrades installed.

DanR

Vanguard wrote:
> "Martin Kallikak, Jr." <noone> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> My notebook has one 200 pin SODIMM of 512 DDR2 4200 memory. I've got
>> an old 200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.
>>
>> If I added that slower DDR, would it help or hurt performance-- or
>> not even run?
>>

> So you think you have a freak laptop that takes both DDR and DDR2
> memory sticks, huh?

That's his question.

Bucky Breeder

"Martin Kallikak, Jr." <noone> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My notebook has one 200 pin SODIMM of 512 DDR2 4200 memory.
> I've got an old 200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.
>
> If I added that slower DDR, would it help
> or hurt performance-- or not even run?

"hurt... or not even run"! "Help" is out of the realm of
discernable plausibilities.

Generally speaking, given mulitple RAM slots, the bus will
run only as fast as the slowest installed module...

With the RAM, there are other factors besides pin count and
speed which could effect your computer, such as voltage...
It would only be a very small amount, because there is only
a very small range in which they operate, but it is a hardware
variable.

I don't even like mixing manufacturers... but that's just me.

I would be hesitant to "mix-and-match" RAM sticks - period;
unless you have an older computer which you consider expendable,
or a nice candidate for experimentation...

It is possible that even a small variation would not be
immediately noticeable, but sooner or later you would
start having multiple errors and/or boot problems.

I would first search [Crucial.com is good] for compatible RAM,
then I would buy the best quality and largest that my machine
would accecpt and I could afford. If I couldn't afford to fill
all the slots to maximum capacity, I would divide them up in
such a way as to provide as much capacity as possible, leaving
me with as many options as possible. To wit, if budget were
an issue, and I had 4 slots with a 4GB maximum capacity, I would
buy 2 1GB sticks for slots 1 & 2, and plan to fill 3 & 4 with
with the same, as soon as possible.

If I had 1 or 2 older, smaller [512 MB] equal size, same speed,
compatiblility verified or OEM sticks, I might use them in slots
3 & 4... But, I'd likely try with and without and watch very,
very carefully.

--

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to,
with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against