Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Retrieving the selected item from the dropdown list and storing it in a local variable

Retrieving the selected item from the dropdown list and storing it in a local variable

yasodhai@gmail.com

Hi,
I used a dropdown control which is binded to a datagrid control. I
passed the values to the dropdownlist from the database using a
function as follows in the aspx itself.

<aspropDownList ID="FldType_add" Runat="server" DataSource='<
%#GetFieldType()%>' DataValueField="Type" DataTextField="Type" />

Oce the page is loaded all the values are added to the dropdown list.
But when I thought of getting the selected value from the dropdown
list, I am getting the following error while assigning the value to a
local variable called Fldstr.

DropDownList
Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FieldTyp e_add");
string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;

Here FieldType_add is the id of the dropdown list form which i am
going to retrieve the selected value. Kindly help me to come out from
this.

Regards,
Yasodhai

Eliyahu Goldin

What is the error?

In any case, set a breakpoint on that line and check if all the properties
you are using contain the values you are expecting.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
> I used a dropdown control which is binded to a datagrid control. I
> passed the values to the dropdownlist from the database using a
> function as follows in the aspx itself.
>
> <aspropDownList ID="FldType_add" Runat="server" DataSource='<
> %#GetFieldType()%>' DataValueField="Type" DataTextField="Type" />
>
> Oce the page is loaded all the values are added to the dropdown list.
> But when I thought of getting the selected value from the dropdown
> list, I am getting the following error while assigning the value to a
> local variable called Fldstr.
>
> DropDownList
> Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FieldTyp e_add");
> string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;
>
> Here FieldType_add is the id of the dropdown list form which i am
> going to retrieve the selected value. Kindly help me to come out from
> this.
>

> Regards,
> Yasodhai

yasodhai@gmail.com

hi,
The error I am getting is as follows:

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

DropDownList
Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FieldTyp e_add");
string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;
Response.Write("Field Value is "+ Fldstr+" ");
It throws the error in the second line while retrieving the selected
value of the dropdown list and storing it in a variable called Fldstr.
Kindly let me know how to come out from that.

Regards,
Yasodhai

On Mar 7, 5:26 pm, "Eliyahu Goldin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is the error?
>
> In any case, set a breakpoint on that line and check if all the properties
> you are using contain the values you are expecting.
>
> --
> Eliyahu Goldin,
> Software Developer & Consultant
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldinhttp://usableasp.net
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

> > Hi,
> > I used a dropdown control which is binded to a datagrid control. I
> > passed the values to the dropdownlist from the database using a
> > function as follows in the aspx itself.

> > <aspropDownList ID="FldType_add" Runat="server" DataSource='<
> > %#GetFieldType()%>' DataValueField="Type" DataTextField="Type" />

> > Oce the page is loaded all the values are added to the dropdown list.
> > But when I thought of getting the selected value from the dropdown
> > list, I am getting the following error while assigning the value to a
> > local variable called Fldstr.

> > DropDownList
> > Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FieldTyp e_add");
> > string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;

> > Here FieldType_add is the id of the dropdown list form which i am
> > going to retrieve the selected value. Kindly help me to come out from
> > this.

> > Regards,
> > Yasodhai- Hide quoted text -

Eliyahu Goldin

Either Fldlist or Fldlist.SelectedItem is not set. Check in the debugger
which of them is null.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
http://usableasp.net

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> hi,
> The error I am getting is as follows:
>
> Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
> set to an instance of an object.
>
> Source Error:
>

> DropDownList
> Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FieldTyp e_add");
> string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;
> Response.Write("Field Value is "+ Fldstr+" ");
> It throws the error in the second line while retrieving the selected
> value of the dropdown list and storing it in a variable called Fldstr.
> Kindly let me know how to come out from that.
>

> Regards,
> Yasodhai
>
> On Mar 7, 5:26 pm, "Eliyahu Goldin"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What is the error?
>>
>> In any case, set a breakpoint on that line and check if all the
>> properties
>> you are using contain the values you are expecting.
>>
>> --
>> Eliyahu Goldin,
>> Software Developer & Consultant
>> Microsoft MVP
>> [ASP.NET]http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldinhttp://usableasp.net
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>

>> > Hi,
>> > I used a dropdown control which is binded to a datagrid control. I
>> > passed the values to the dropdownlist from the database using a
>> > function as follows in the aspx itself.

>> > <aspropDownList ID="FldType_add" Runat="server" DataSource='<
>> > %#GetFieldType()%>' DataValueField="Type" DataTextField="Type" />

>> > Oce the page is loaded all the values are added to the dropdown list.
>> > But when I thought of getting the selected value from the dropdown
>> > list, I am getting the following error while assigning the value to a
>> > local variable called Fldstr.

>> > DropDownList
>> > Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FieldTyp e_add");
>> > string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;

>> > Here FieldType_add is the id of the dropdown list form which i am
>> > going to retrieve the selected value. Kindly help me to come out from
>> > this.

>> > Regards,
>> > Yasodhai- Hide quoted text -

yasodhai@gmail.com

Hi,
As you said the Fldlist is null.

<FooterTemplate>
<aspropDownList ID="FldType_add" Runat="server" DataSource='<
%#GetFieldType()%>' DataTextField="Type" />
</FooterTemplate>

public DataSet GetFieldType()
{
SqlDataAdapter fldad = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT
Type FROM FieldType Order by FID", myConnection);
DataSet fldds = new DataSet();
fldad.Fill(fldds,"FieldType");
return fldds;
}

private void DataGrid_Fields_ItemCommand(object source,
{
DropDownList
Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FldType_ add");
string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;
Response.Write("Field Value is "+ Fldstr+" ");
}

Once the page gets loaded the dropdown list is filled with the values
from the table "FieldType". While tyring to store the selected value
from the list i am getting the error. Help me in this regard.

Regards,
Yasodhai

On Mar 8, 1:37 pm, "Eliyahu Goldin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Either Fldlist or Fldlist.SelectedItem is not set. Check in the debugger
> which of them is null.
>
> --
> Eliyahu Goldin,
> Software Developer & Consultant
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldinhttp://usableasp.net
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

> > hi,
> > The error I am getting is as follows:

> > Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
> > set to an instance of an object.

> > Source Error:

> > DropDownList
> > Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FieldTyp e_add");
> > string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;
> > Response.Write("Field Value is "+ Fldstr+" ");
> > It throws the error in the second line while retrieving the selected
> > value of the dropdown list and storing it in a variable called Fldstr.
> > Kindly let me know how to come out from that.

> > Regards,
> > Yasodhai

> > On Mar 7, 5:26 pm, "Eliyahu Goldin"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> What is the error?

> >> In any case, set a breakpoint on that line and check if all the
> >> properties
> >> you are using contain the values you are expecting.

> >> --
> >> Eliyahu Goldin,
> >> Software Developer & Consultant
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> [ASP.NET]http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldinhttp://usableasp.net

> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...

Eliyahu Goldin

The FldType_add is not a part of the item. You can locate the footer in the
datagrid's Controls collection.
Look, for example, in this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...fb18a7f436d8ba

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
http://usableasp.net

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
> As you said the Fldlist is null.
>
> <FooterTemplate>
> <aspropDownList ID="FldType_add" Runat="server" DataSource='<
> %#GetFieldType()%>' DataTextField="Type" />
> </FooterTemplate>
>

> public DataSet GetFieldType()
> {
> SqlDataAdapter fldad = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT
> Type FROM FieldType Order by FID", myConnection);
> DataSet fldds = new DataSet();
> fldad.Fill(fldds,"FieldType");
> return fldds;
> }
>
> private void DataGrid_Fields_ItemCommand(object source,
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs e)
> {
> DropDownList
> Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FldType_ add");
> string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;
> Response.Write("Field Value is "+ Fldstr+" ");
> }
>
> Once the page gets loaded the dropdown list is filled with the values
> from the table "FieldType". While tyring to store the selected value
> from the list i am getting the error. Help me in this regard.
>
> Regards,
> Yasodhai
>

> On Mar 8, 1:37 pm, "Eliyahu Goldin"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Either Fldlist or Fldlist.SelectedItem is not set. Check in the debugger
>> which of them is null.
>>
>> --
>> Eliyahu Goldin,
>> Software Developer & Consultant
>> Microsoft MVP
>> [ASP.NET]http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldinhttp://usableasp.net
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>

>> > hi,
>> > The error I am getting is as follows:

>> > Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
>> > set to an instance of an object.

>> > Source Error:

>> > DropDownList
>> > Fldlist=(DropDownList)e.Item.FindControl("FieldTyp e_add");
>> > string Fldstr=Fldlist.SelectedItem.Value;
>> > Response.Write("Field Value is "+ Fldstr+" ");
>> > It throws the error in the second line while retrieving the selected
>> > value of the dropdown list and storing it in a variable called Fldstr.
>> > Kindly let me know how to come out from that.

>> > Regards,
>> > Yasodhai

yasodhai@gmail.com

Hi,
Its working fine. Thanks a lot. I retrieved the values....

Regards,
Yasodhai