Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista Upgrade

Vista Upgrade

Tristan Goe

I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed. It has no
Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition on the HDD.
So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win XP, but what happens
if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp installation.
Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original win 95/98 disc as
proof.

Ponder

Hiya Tristan Goe.

In <news:45bde3e2$(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed. It has no
> Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition on the HDD.
> So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win XP, but what happens
> if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp installation.
> Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original win 95/98 disc as
> proof.

It might check the hidden partition. Failing that recover XP first then
upgrade (sic) to Vista.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Clogwog

Tristan Goe wrote:
> I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed. It
> has no Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition on
> the HDD. So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win XP, but
> what
> happens if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp
> installation. Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original
> win 95/98 disc as proof.

Get diskimaging software, Acronis true image is the best! Acronis True Image
10 Supports Microsoft Windows Vista.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Bucky Breeder

"Clogwog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed). nl:

> Tristan Goe wrote:
>> I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed. It
>> has no Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition on
>> the HDD. So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win XP, but
>> what
>> happens if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp
>> installation. Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original
>> win 95/98 disc as proof.

> Get diskimaging software, Acronis true image is the best! Acronis True
> Image 10 Supports Microsoft Windows Vista.
> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Yeah, Einstein - but it don't do MAC's.

--

I'd like to see one of those nude operas!
Because when they hit on the high notes,

Clogwog

Bucky Breeder wrote:
> "Clogwog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nl:
>
>> Tristan Goe wrote:
>>> I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed.
>>> It has no Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition
>>> on the HDD. So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win
>>> XP, but what
>>> happens if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp
>>> installation. Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original
>>> win 95/98 disc as proof.

>> Get diskimaging software, Acronis true image is the best! Acronis
>> True Image 10 Supports Microsoft Windows Vista.
>> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

> Yeah, Einstein - but it don't do MAC's.

A mac is for la-de-dah poofters like you. I don't expect Acronis wants
anything to do with them!
So genius, *M* ake *A* *C* hange
LMFAO @ you & GFIA!

Bucky Breeder

"Clogwog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed). nl:

> Bucky Breeder wrote:
>> "Clogwog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). nl:

>>> Get diskimaging software, Acronis true image is the best! Acronis
>>> True Image 10 Supports Microsoft Windows Vista.
>>> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

>> Yeah, Einstein - but it don't do MAC's.

> A mac is for la-de-dah poofters like you.
> I don't expect Acronis wants anything to
> do with them!
> So genius, *M* ake *A* *C* hange
> LMFAO @ you & GFIA!

Thanks, Hillary!

Well then, I guess I won't be buying a MAC,
at least anytime soon.

If it wasn't for Gaylords like you
who wanna-be Consumer-Reports-Rockettes,
I might have spent too much money
and not be able to fluster my clusters
with Acronis' latest dry-humper.

MAC'll just have to get along without me.
And Acronis too.

( *Their* loss! )

I'll have to keep spending my money
on cheep booze and fine women - and Taco Bell.

--

I'd like to see one of those nude operas!
Because when they hit on the high notes,
I'd bet that you can really see it
down in their unspeakables.

Daniel Anderson

Then create a Windows XP Recovery Disc first before installing the Vista Upgrade... or better yet, when installing Vista, enable it to retain the older computer settings in case you need to revert back.

Warmest Regards,
Dan

"Tristan Goe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:45bde3e2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Packard Bell laptop which came with XP SP2 pre-installed. It has no
> Windows disk with it, the files are on a hidden partition on the HDD.
> So technically I can install an upgrade CD over my Win XP, but what happens
> if I need to format? I,ll have no proof of my original Xp installation.
> Before the upgrade disc would ask you for the original win 95/98 disc as
> proof.

Ponder

Hiya Pronog the blancmange-misleader.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote: