Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Post something positive about Vista

Re: Post something positive about Vista

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Maverick
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I am a bit depressed about Vista... there is never any good news.
> > Mossberg and the press are soooo anti Microsoft.
> >
> > Please cheer me up with some positive experiences...
> >
> > And no, Dr. Zara and MoooMan are not regarded as reliable sources of
> > Vista joy.
> >

> Here ya go:
>
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...istamac27.html

Interesting for the sidebar, but the writer must be an idiot.
Witness:
> But the Mac's stubborn adherence to a single-button mouse threw up an
> insurmountable obstacle for me.

The Mac OS has not stuck to a single-button mouse. It merely stuck to
*not requiring a two-button mouse* -- and since using any other kind of
input device is at least as easy as any other system, this can never be
held up as a comparative weakness. It's equal or an improvement!

> It was only that computing had become too predictable and comfortable.

But that is the whole point. The OS is not the purpose of using a
computer -- it is supposed to be an enabler, not a challenge or
adventure. This guy apparently missed the fact that Windows causes your
work to vanish in favor of OS-caused adventures and troubles.

> we have seen a shift in the balance of power; wondering if either
> Microsoft or the United States still rules the world.

That Microsoft rules the industry is a horrible, tragic thing. It is
not a good thing, not a benefit, and not a minor problem. Why do it's
victims trumpet this so gladly?

> Vista's interface is a lot snappier, cleaner and better-organized than
> XP while containing more commands, submenus and controls than the Mac.
> Whether "more" translates into "better" will be up to the individual.
> Vista is more versatile and more complex.

> You can find any command once you've learned the language, but the
> plethora of options makes it seem cluttered. Using Vista feels like
> operating a large jet. Controlling the Mac, on the other hand, more
> resembles a glider.

And therein is the whole point of UI design. This guy thinks there is
more stuff in Vista because it is more cluttered, he has to learn a
language of how to find things, many functions he needed to use felt
buried, there are too many places to look and types of controls, etc.

I'd read more, but this writer just didn't get it. It seems as long as
the OS does it's job, he thinks it's thin or uninteresting.

sittingduck

Mitch wrote:

> But that is the whole point. The OS is not the purpose of using a
> computer -- it is supposed to be an enabler, not a challenge or
> adventure. This guy apparently missed the fact that Windows causes your
> work to vanish in favor of OS-caused adventures and troubles.

Amen to that!!

I'm waiting for this 'know it all, supremely intelligent, computer giant
among lesser mortals' to produce a super OS that takes the world by storm -
at 100% compared to Microsoft's 96.
news:270120072149335537%(E-Mail Removed)...

Frosty

It doesn't suck as badly as it could.