Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ease of MoBo upgrade

Ease of MoBo upgrade

port565

I'd like to upgrade my MoBo, but I've never done that before. I've upgraded
nearly everything else with reasonable ease. I'm just wondering how easy it
is to upgrade a MoBo & compatible processor.

I just searched previous postings, but couldn't find anything about that. I
noticed the new-license "requirement", tho.

eMachines 600is, original PSU, case, cables, and floppy drive (remember
those?) Custom CD-RW, DVD-ROM, RAM (Now 256MB; I'm going to try different
combos of the 8 RAM sticks I now have), 160 GB HDD, controller (?) card.

BTW, would I need the controller card if I upgrade the MoBo? I have it in
now, and it doesn't read past the 128,000,000,000th byte. Can't remember
whether this is a software issue or a hardware issue. It's been too long
ago to remember specifically why I couldn't not use the controller card.

Are the below-referenced MoBo and processor compatible with each other and
my computer? I checked the http://www.biostar.com.tw web site to determine
compatibility between MoBo and CPU, but it didn't explicitly say that CPU is
compatible with any MoBo. Please help!

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ctCode=80826-1
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=246423

TIA.

WhzzKdd

port565 wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade my MoBo, but I've never done that before. I've
> upgraded nearly everything else with reasonable ease. I'm just
> wondering how easy it is to upgrade a MoBo & compatible processor.
>
> I just searched previous postings, but couldn't find anything about
> that. I noticed the new-license "requirement", tho.
>
> eMachines 600is, original PSU, case, cables, and floppy drive
> (remember those?) Custom CD-RW, DVD-ROM, RAM (Now 256MB; I'm going
> to try different combos of the 8 RAM sticks I now have), 160 GB HDD,
> controller (?) card.
> BTW, would I need the controller card if I upgrade the MoBo? I have
> it in now, and it doesn't read past the 128,000,000,000th byte. Can't
> remember whether this is a software issue or a hardware issue. It's been
> too long ago to remember specifically why I couldn't not
> use the controller card.
> Are the below-referenced MoBo and processor compatible with each
> other and my computer? I checked the http://www.biostar.com.tw web
> site to determine compatibility between MoBo and CPU, but it didn't
> explicitly say that CPU is compatible with any MoBo. Please help!
>
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ctCode=80826-1
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=246423
>
> TIA.

I'm not going to take the time get into details, but I'll answer a couple of
the questions. You should not need the controller you bought for your 160GB
HD. The new motherboard's onboard controller should handle it just fine. The
RAM should be replaced. What you have is probably (either or both) the wrong
physical configuration or the wrong speed. Of course, the drives should be
fine. Another problem is the power supply. New CPUs require much more power,
and AMD / P4 compatible power supplies have an extra plug that goes to the
motherboard to supply that. Your eMachine most likely doesn't have that
connector, and probably doesn't have enough overall wattage for the upgrade
either.

Here's my opinion on determining whether the CPU is the correct one for the
motherboard: call the dealer you are buying them from. It's best to have
them talk you through the choices and help you decide. That way, if there is
a problem, they're on the line for it.

port565

Thanks for your assistance. I once had a PSU blow up while I was trying to
use the computer it was in. (Too much heat, I'm guessing. Mid-September
afternoon, building with 3 walls and a string of west-facing windows,
careless user.) Anyway, I'll definitely be mindful of that. Thank again!

news:gR3vh.15$(E-Mail Removed)...