Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > msn monitoring

msn monitoring

Budweiser

greetings one and all including kaditchaman,
I need to find someway of "recording" my daughters msn/bebo and the like
activity.
I installed some months ago a stand alone pc for her in her room connected
via wireless link to the main machine downstairs, and as such have trusted
her to make her own decisions on who she contacts etc.
I had no concerns about this as i thought she understood the trust placed in
her.
She frequently uses my machine(main internet link) and has her own account
on it.
Tonight i came home and she had left herself logged on to MSN , and lets
just say i was not best pleased with the messages that popped up.
My daughter has just turned 13, from her profile i can see how others could
easily be missled,she does look in photos and in conversation alot older.I
am no prude either but draw the line on her organising meets with local lads
aged 18 plus.
Hormones are wonderfull things ,but i would hate some guy to make a life
changing decision or action with a minor.

Is there software out there that will enable me to check on the contents of
the activity? -- not necessarily the sites visited as that is not really
relevant.
The preferable method would be for me to have a file on my pc that records
output from her pc (key logger? or am i talking out of my "ring"), or at
least have her machine save it to a file that i can access over the wireless
network(shared folder on hers)
Yes the intention is to spy, but for the right reasons i believe. I do not
want to have to supervise her net usage over her shoulder but right now she
does not have my trust and that is what it will have to be unless i can get
the above installed, it will also save a direct confrontation which will
probably embarrass her no end.

cheers
Budweiser --concerned father

Otter

In news:4jyuh.81895$(E-Mail Removed),
Budweiser <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> greetings one and all including kaditchaman,
> I need to find someway of "recording" my daughters msn/bebo and the
> like activity.
> I installed some months ago a stand alone pc for her in her room
> connected via wireless link to the main machine downstairs, and as
> such have trusted her to make her own decisions on who she contacts
> etc. I had no concerns about this as i thought she understood the trust
> placed in her.
> She frequently uses my machine(main internet link) and has her own
> account on it.
> Tonight i came home and she had left herself logged on to MSN , and
> lets just say i was not best pleased with the messages that popped up.
> My daughter has just turned 13, from her profile i can see how others
> could easily be missled,she does look in photos and in conversation
> alot older.I am no prude either but draw the line on her organising
> meets with local lads aged 18 plus.
> Hormones are wonderfull things ,but i would hate some guy to make a
> life changing decision or action with a minor.
>
> Is there software out there that will enable me to check on the
> contents of the activity? -- not necessarily the sites visited as
> that is not really relevant.
> The preferable method would be for me to have a file on my pc that
> records output from her pc (key logger? or am i talking out of my
> "ring"), or at least have her machine save it to a file that i can
> access over the wireless network(shared folder on hers)
> Yes the intention is to spy, but for the right reasons i believe. I
> do not want to have to supervise her net usage over her shoulder but
> right now she does not have my trust and that is what it will have to
> be unless i can get the above installed, it will also save a direct
> confrontation which will probably embarrass her no end.
>
> cheers
> Budweiser --concerned father

Yeah, right! You are 14 years old, and you want to be able to spy on the
computer useage of adults, including your 19 year old sister and 21 year old
brother!

Budweiser

Wrong --i am 45 her father, she is 13.
It is a straight question. If you choose not to believe the
scenario--fine,you obviously do not have kids that age yet.
Budweiser
"Otter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:4jyuh.81895$(E-Mail Removed),
> Budweiser <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>> greetings one and all including kaditchaman,
>> I need to find someway of "recording" my daughters msn/bebo and the
>> like activity.
>> I installed some months ago a stand alone pc for her in her room
>> connected via wireless link to the main machine downstairs, and as
>> such have trusted her to make her own decisions on who she contacts
>> etc. I had no concerns about this as i thought she understood the trust
>> placed in her.
>> She frequently uses my machine(main internet link) and has her own
>> account on it.
>> Tonight i came home and she had left herself logged on to MSN , and
>> lets just say i was not best pleased with the messages that popped up.
>> My daughter has just turned 13, from her profile i can see how others
>> could easily be missled,she does look in photos and in conversation
>> alot older.I am no prude either but draw the line on her organising
>> meets with local lads aged 18 plus.
>> Hormones are wonderfull things ,but i would hate some guy to make a
>> life changing decision or action with a minor.
>>
>> Is there software out there that will enable me to check on the
>> contents of the activity? -- not necessarily the sites visited as
>> that is not really relevant.
>> The preferable method would be for me to have a file on my pc that
>> records output from her pc (key logger? or am i talking out of my
>> "ring"), or at least have her machine save it to a file that i can
>> access over the wireless network(shared folder on hers)
>> Yes the intention is to spy, but for the right reasons i believe. I
>> do not want to have to supervise her net usage over her shoulder but
>> right now she does not have my trust and that is what it will have to
>> be unless i can get the above installed, it will also save a direct
>> confrontation which will probably embarrass her no end.
>>
>> cheers
>> Budweiser --concerned father

> Yeah, right! You are 14 years old, and you want to be able to spy on the
> computer useage of adults, including your 19 year old sister and 21 year
> old brother!

Otter

In news:lCyuh.82712$(E-Mail Removed),
Budweiser <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Wrong --i am 45 her father, she is 13.
> It is a straight question. If you choose not to believe the
> scenario--fine,you obviously do not have kids that age yet.
> Budweiser

You miss the point. This is Usenet. You can make up any story you like to
justify what you want, but in the end it's simply a public request for a
surrepticious means of spying on other people's use of a computer. Do you
see?

Old Gringo

On or About Sat, 27 Jan 2007 01:56:16 GMT, Without Any Hesitation,
Budweiser Wrote The Following:

> greetings one and all including kaditchaman,
> I need to find someway of "recording" my daughters msn/bebo and the like
> activity.
> I installed some months ago a stand alone pc for her in her room connected
> via wireless link to the main machine downstairs, and as such have trusted
> her to make her own decisions on who she contacts etc.
> I had no concerns about this as i thought she understood the trust placed in
> her.
> She frequently uses my machine(main internet link) and has her own account
> on it.
> Tonight i came home and she had left herself logged on to MSN , and lets
> just say i was not best pleased with the messages that popped up.
> My daughter has just turned 13, from her profile i can see how others could
> easily be missled,she does look in photos and in conversation alot older.I
> am no prude either but draw the line on her organising meets with local lads
> aged 18 plus.
> Hormones are wonderfull things ,but i would hate some guy to make a life
> changing decision or action with a minor.
>
> Is there software out there that will enable me to check on the contents of
> the activity? -- not necessarily the sites visited as that is not really
> relevant.
> The preferable method would be for me to have a file on my pc that records
> output from her pc (key logger? or am i talking out of my "ring"), or at
> least have her machine save it to a file that i can access over the wireless
> network(shared folder on hers)
> Yes the intention is to spy, but for the right reasons i believe. I do not
> want to have to supervise her net usage over her shoulder but right now she
> does not have my trust and that is what it will have to be unless i can get
> the above installed, it will also save a direct confrontation which will
> probably embarrass her no end.
>
> cheers
> Budweiser --concerned father

Upon reading the commentary above it appears as though the Concerned
Father is completely at fault. When one makes a mistake, one should
correct it or learn to live with it, and not look for alternative
methods of compensating for the mistake. The 13 year old will soon
learn to dislike and disrespect the Concerned Father for spying on
her.
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Budweiser

Point taken -- but i did say that i wanted to spy, researching key loggers
at present --ever used Perfect Keylogger or do you have a better one?
The request for info is genuine , already contemplated a wireless out put of
the screen to the home tv and vcr but that seems excessive and impractical.
Maybe this is a package that someone ought to develop, in this day and age i
can see a massive market, granted the usage could and will probably be
abused.
The trouble with the internet is you can be and appear to be who you wish, a
good thing for freedom of information and life in general, however you need
to understand that and embrace it,and understand all that is and all that is
written or said may not be the truth, that comes with age and experience. I
feel it is my duty as a parent to prevent , preventable occurances. Not
censorship, a guardian angel if you wish.

On with the search, what i need is out there somewhere
Budweiser

"Otter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:lCyuh.82712$(E-Mail Removed),
> Budweiser <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>> Wrong --i am 45 her father, she is 13.
>> It is a straight question. If you choose not to believe the
>> scenario--fine,you obviously do not have kids that age yet.
>> Budweiser

> You miss the point. This is Usenet. You can make up any story you like to
> justify what you want, but in the end it's simply a public request for a
> surrepticious means of spying on other people's use of a computer. Do you
> see?

Budweiser

So gringo,
correct the mistake? whets that -- allowing her, her own internet and pc?
remove internet access from her room then?
That is not what I wish to do,
Block MSN? --all her school mates talk constantly on it.
Trust her? -- yes I do , but not an 18year old with hormones rampaging in
its jeans.
Children need guidance until they have a life tool kit of there own, yes
they should be allowed to make mistakes, but these sort of actions need to
be prevented.
I am sorry I asked the question here, this used to be a place for advice and
direction, not judgementental uttering

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> Yes the intention is to spy, but for the right reasons i believe. I do
>> not
>> want to have to supervise her net usage over her shoulder but right now
>> she
>> does not have my trust and that is what it will have to be unless i can
>> get
>> the above installed, it will also save a direct confrontation which will
>> probably embarrass her no end.
>>
>> cheers
>> Budweiser --concerned father

> Upon reading the commentary above it appears as though the Concerned
> Father is completely at fault. When one makes a mistake, one should
> correct it or learn to live with it, and not look for alternative
> methods of compensating for the mistake. The 13 year old will soon
> learn to dislike and disrespect the Concerned Father for spying on

Carnival Midway Hawker

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 02:43:54 GMT, Old Gringo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Upon reading the commentary above it appears as though the Concerned
>Father is completely at fault. When one makes a mistake, one should
>correct it or learn to live with it, and not look for alternative
>methods of compensating for the mistake. The 13 year old will soon
>learn to dislike and disrespect the Concerned Father for spying on
>her.

Sir, you have always given good advice and I respect you, but it is my
opinion that you are being overly judgmental concerning this fellow.

The Internet can be a very nasty place as you know. The choices
parents face today regarding their children's Internet usage are
tough. I think allowing complete unrestricted usage to a 13 year old
is akin to handing over the keys to a racecar. That said, the car can
be driven on a test track with supervision - or driven on public
streets, an accident waiting to happen. While the notion of "spying"
has negative connotations, it may save the child's life. Let's
remember that the child has no "right" to privacy and the parent has
every "responsibility" to protect the child. When the brat turns 18
and buys their own modem, they can make their own choices

bigjon

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 01:56:16 GMT, Budweiser wrote:

> greetings one and all including kaditchaman,
> I need to find someway of "recording" my daughters msn/bebo and the like
> activity.
> I installed some months ago a stand alone pc for her in her room connected
> via wireless link to the main machine downstairs, and as such have trusted
> her to make her own decisions on who she contacts etc.
> I had no concerns about this as i thought she understood the trust placed in
> her.
> She frequently uses my machine(main internet link) and has her own account
> on it.
> Tonight i came home and she had left herself logged on to MSN , and lets
> just say i was not best pleased with the messages that popped up.
> My daughter has just turned 13, from her profile i can see how others could
> easily be missled,she does look in photos and in conversation alot older.I
> am no prude either but draw the line on her organising meets with local lads
> aged 18 plus.
> Hormones are wonderfull things ,but i would hate some guy to make a life
> changing decision or action with a minor.
>
> Is there software out there that will enable me to check on the contents of
> the activity? -- not necessarily the sites visited as that is not really
> relevant.
> The preferable method would be for me to have a file on my pc that records
> output from her pc (key logger? or am i talking out of my "ring"), or at
> least have her machine save it to a file that i can access over the wireless
> network(shared folder on hers)
> Yes the intention is to spy, but for the right reasons i believe. I do not
> want to have to supervise her net usage over her shoulder but right now she
> does not have my trust and that is what it will have to be unless i can get
> the above installed, it will also save a direct confrontation which will
> probably embarrass her no end.
>
> cheers
> Budweiser --concerned fater

There's a couple of dozen here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfin...&st=key+logger

....but the real answer is that YOU have to make a hard decision.

Either you control her internet use, you alienate her by spying, or you
talk about it and trust her.

In my experience (father of 4) Spying will _not_ work, and if she can use
the P.C. then they can be easily disabled. Far better to sit down with her
and discuss the subject. If this is not possible, you should be responsible
enough to monitor her use openly.

Embarrasment is not really an issue, more of a cop out on your part. Far
better she is safe and embarrassed by you, than brought to your door in a
state by the local bobbies (or worse...)

Old Gringo

On or About Sat, 27 Jan 2007 03:48:05 GMT, Without Any Hesitation,

No reply, posted wrong.
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest