Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > file removal

file removal

I have a file I saved from an email for later read.
Now I cannot delete it, move it or rename it.
I get the error message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source
file or disk"

Driving me nuts, please help....

Smoker

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I have a file I saved from an email for later read.
> Now I cannot delete it, move it or rename it.
> I get the error message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source
> file or disk"
>
> Driving me nuts, please help....

Restart in Safe Mode and try it. There are various ways to do this if that
doesn't work. Some are lengthy so do a search on Google.

Ronnie Kray

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I have a file I saved from an email for later read.
> Now I cannot delete it, move it or rename it.
> I get the error message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source
> file or disk"
>
> Driving me nuts, please help....

What exactly was the "file"?
Where did you save it to?

The file has no extension and I saved it to my desktop.
Also I tried to delete it in safe mode and that doesn't work either.

"Ronnie Kray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:epcqdv$3pj$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>I have a file I saved from an email for later read.
>> Now I cannot delete it, move it or rename it.
>> I get the error message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source
>> file or disk"
>>
>> Driving me nuts, please help....
>>

> What exactly was the "file"?
> Where did you save it to?

I got it.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> The file has no extension and I saved it to my desktop.
> Also I tried to delete it in safe mode and that doesn't work either.
>

> "Ronnie Kray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:epcqdv$3pj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I have a file I saved from an email for later read.
>>> Now I cannot delete it, move it or rename it.
>>> I get the error message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source
>>> file or disk"
>>>
>>> Driving me nuts, please help....
>>>

>> What exactly was the "file"?
>> Where did you save it to?

I came back?????????

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I got it.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> The file has no extension and I saved it to my desktop.
>> Also I tried to delete it in safe mode and that doesn't work either.
>>

>> "Ronnie Kray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:epcqdv$3pj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> What exactly was the "file"?
>>> Where did you save it to?

Solag the vegetarian-acetifier

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>.. .

> I got it.

Syphilis, gonorrhea, herpes, crabs, penile warts?

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> The file has no extension and I saved it to my desktop.
>> Also I tried to delete it in safe mode and that doesn't work either.
>>

>> "Ronnie Kray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:epcqdv$3pj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> What exactly was the "file"?
>>> Where did you save it to?

Smoker

Thanks for telling us what worked.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I got it.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> The file has no extension and I saved it to my desktop.
>> Also I tried to delete it in safe mode and that doesn't work either.
>>

>> "Ronnie Kray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:epcqdv$3pj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> What exactly was the "file"?
>>> Where did you save it to?

Linul the bedpan-complainer

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message <3Inuh.7784$2n.5757@trndny06>...

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:14:26 +1030, Solag the vegetarian-acetifier
> wrote:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
>>
>>> I got it.
>>>

>> Syphilis, gonorrhea, herpes, crabs, penile warts?

> Why are you crossposting you asinine banalities here, Assy McGee?

I take it "here" is where you happen to be sitting right now. That would
probably be in your filthy, rat-infested, cockroach-riddled lounge room, eh,
you ****ing gormless tit. You're one of those ****ing freaks who think some
people you correspond with on usenet are shitting on your ****ing carpet,
hey.

>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

Jim Byrd

Hi Troubled - From my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy below in my
Signature:

Sometimes the tools below will find files which they are unable to delete
because they are in use.

A program called Copylock, here, http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc can
aid in the process of "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many
files which are currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or
virus/trojan files.)"

Another is Killbox by Option Explicit, Beta version available here:
http://www.killbox.net/downloads/beta/KillBox.exe Overview directions are
available here: http://www.killbox.net/help.html#Top Read carefully - this
tool is quite powerful.

A third which is a bit different but often very useful is Delete Invalid
File, here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem.

A fourth useful program is Unlocker, here:
..http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ " Simply right click the folder or file
and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of
lockers will appear. Simply select the lockers and click Unlock and you are
done!" Works as advertised and is particularly helpful in identifying
malware components which are 'protecting' each other.

A fifth is FileASSASSIN, here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin.php
"FileASSASSIN can delete locked malware files on your system. It uses
advanced techniques to unload modules, close remote handles, and terminate
processes to allow the removal of the file."

See if any of these help, and let us know how you make out.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MVP, DTS, ASVOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine,

In news:(E-Mail Removed),