Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Duofone switcher

Duofone switcher

pinchee

Win XP Pro SP2

I have this item - a Duofone AFX-200 - that was sold by Radio Shack. From
what I can surmise from information discovered through Google this item
switches between fax, auto answer equipment and phones. I have searched in
a many places as I can for more information, especially if this item
recognizes between fax calls and normal calls, then switches automatically
between the two with out having the typical fax noises that are generated
when both the fax and the telephone are used with one incoming telephone
line.

This is a purely selfish request. When I have the fax connected to the one
incoming line and a call generates the typical fax identifying tones my wife
raises all kinds of hell with me. She gets probably a dozen calls a day from
her friends and she does not like those noises. Before I hook up this
device I would like to know if this thing auto switches between the two, the
fax and a phone call without having to punch a button or the like.

I want to use the fax and our home telephones on one line without having to
have a dedicated fax line.

I hope this makes sense to someone who uses this item. I do not have the
manual.

Blinky the Shark

pinchee wrote:
> Win XP Pro SP2
>
> I have this item - a Duofone AFX-200 - that was sold by Radio Shack. From
> what I can surmise from information discovered through Google this item
> switches between fax, auto answer equipment and phones. I have searched in
> a many places as I can for more information, especially if this item
> recognizes between fax calls and normal calls, then switches automatically
> between the two with out having the typical fax noises that are generated
> when both the fax and the telephone are used with one incoming telephone
> line.
>
> This is a purely selfish request. When I have the fax connected to the one
> incoming line and a call generates the typical fax identifying tones my wife
> raises all kinds of hell with me. She gets probably a dozen calls a day from
> her friends and she does not like those noises. Before I hook up this
> device I would like to know if this thing auto switches between the two, the
> fax and a phone call without having to punch a button or the like.

Doesn't sound like it without distinctive ring, according to this
document, which I presume you've read:

<q>

AFX-200 (430-1243) Features Faxback Doc. # 3629

Your DUoFONE AFX-200 Fax Switch lets you use your telephone, an answering
machine, and a fax machine all on the same telephone line, eliminating the
teed and extra expense of two phone lines. When a call comes in, you can
answer it personally or let your answering machine answer the call. If the
fax switch hears tones from a fax machine, it directs the call to your fax
machine. If the call is a regular voice call, you can carry on a normal
conversation, or the answering machine records the caller's message as
usual.

You can also use the fax switch with a computer modem to switch modem
calls to your computer and fax calls to your fax machine.

You can have your fax switch immediately route fax calls to your fax
machine if your subscribe to a special telephone company service called
distinctive ringing. With this service, you have a second telephone
number assigned to your single telephone line. When a call comes in
on that number, the telephone rings with a special double ring.

Note: Distinctive ringing is not available in all areas. Check with
your telephone company's business office for availability and
details.

Your fax switch is easy to install. It connects to existing telephone
jacks and requires no special wiring. it also is compatible with most
single- and multi-line non-KSU (key system unit) telephones, and it
works with most telephone answering machines and modems.

(/all-12/13/94)

</q>

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/faxback.html
ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tan...back/03629.txt

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

pinchee

Blinky:
Thank you for your response. Yes, I had read the article you supplied and
the link. Problem is I'm an old person and I had a hard time recognizing
what I had read. To you young and experienced people such information is
easy to assimilate - not so me. If they do not print it in a clear method
I'm sunk. Thank you again for the prompt and cogent response.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> [...]

> distinctive ringing. With this service, you have a second telephone
> number assigned to your single telephone line. When a call comes in
> on that number, the telephone rings with a special double ring.
>
> Note: Distinctive ringing is not available in all areas. Check with
> your telephone company's business office for availability and
> details.
>
> Your fax switch is easy to install. It connects to existing telephone
> jacks and requires no special wiring. it also is compatible with most
> single- and multi-line non-KSU (key system unit) telephones, and it
> works with most telephone answering machines and modems.
>
> (/all-12/13/94)
>
> </q>
>
> http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/faxback.html
> ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tan...back/03629.txt

Blinky the Shark

pinchee wrote:
> Blinky:
> Thank you for your response. Yes, I had read the article you supplied and
> the link. Problem is I'm an old person and I had a hard time recognizing
> what I had read. To you young and experienced people such information is
> easy to assimilate - not so me. If they do not print it in a clear method
> I'm sunk. Thank you again for the prompt and cogent response.

You're welcome, pinchee. And I'll be 60 in June.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

WhzzKdd

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> pinchee wrote:
>> Blinky:
>> Thank you for your response. Yes, I had read the article you
>> supplied and the link. Problem is I'm an old person and I had a
>> hard time recognizing what I had read. To you young and experienced
>> people such information is easy to assimilate - not so me. If they
>> do not print it in a clear method I'm sunk. Thank you again for
>> the prompt and cogent response.

> You're welcome, pinchee. And I'll be 60 in June.

Which, for a spiny dogfish shark, is doing pretty good

TT

Blinky the Shark

WhzzKdd wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> pinchee wrote:
>>> Blinky:
>>> Thank you for your response. Yes, I had read the article you
>>> supplied and the link. Problem is I'm an old person and I had a
>>> hard time recognizing what I had read. To you young and experienced
>>> people such information is easy to assimilate - not so me. If they
>>> do not print it in a clear method I'm sunk. Thank you again for
>>> the prompt and cogent response.

>> You're welcome, pinchee. And I'll be 60 in June.

> Which, for a spiny dogfish shark, is doing pretty good

But what is that in human years?

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> WhzzKdd wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>>
>>> You're welcome, pinchee. And I'll be 60 in June.

>> Which, for a spiny dogfish shark, is doing pretty good

> But what is that in human years?

LOL!!

morrisamazon morrisamazon is offline
Junior Member

Can I use the AFX-200 in an VOiP (Voice Over internet Protocol) telephone service enviroment? The instructions seem to be quite dated (1996) and probably referred to POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) or wireline service. Thanks for your help.