Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Catch today's Dilbert...

Catch today's Dilbert...

William Poaster

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:24:30 -0700, Michael Fierro wrote:

> On Saturday 27 January 2007 05:26 pm, sittingduck ranted on thusly:
>
>> No, it isn't. I have linux on this machine right now. Does that mean I
>> have to hate windows? I think not. The problem with linux is that it's
>> best for servers, and people with limited software needs. What I do with
>> my desktop machines, linux is poorly suited for.

> That's a too-broad generalization.

Which is what you get from people who *claim* to run linux, & you'll
note he doesn't say which distro. As for him ranting about "it's best for
servers" & seemingly believing it's only best for servers is poppycock.

> Ubuntu works wonders for me, and I don't have limited software needs.

Nor do I, & I have various linux distros on various machines.
Debian, for example, has 15,940 software packages.

> it's a question of being able to find applications and then make them
> work for you. Which isn't any different than using Windows or OS X,
> actually. No matter what OS you use, you have to find applications to
> run on it, then get used to those apps.

Exactly.

> I'm to the point now where almost everything is easier to do in Linux
> than in Windows. The only Windows app I still run regularly is Quicken.
> And that runs fine via WINE.
>
> Wait, I had a point here. Seriously! I just don't remember what it was...

Heh!

--
"Whon thot Aprille swithin potrzebie,
The burgid prillie gives one heebie-jeebie."

Mara

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:24:55 -0800, "WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>sittingduck wrote:
>> Mara wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe he/she/it just doesn't have what it takes to run Linux. Dunno
>>> why, though. It isn't *that* hard.

>> No, it isn't. I have linux on this machine right now. Does that mean
>> I have to hate windows? I think not. The problem with linux is that
>> it's best for servers, and people with limited software needs. What I
>> do with my desktop machines, linux is poorly suited for.

>In my case, the CAD program, DTP programs, etc. that I use on a daily basis
>do not have Linux versions. And since I must maintain file compatibility
>with my customers and suppliers, I've pretty much had to rule out
>alternative software solutions.

Have you tried running them under WINE lately?

--
A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
store saying "There's something wrong with it. *I keep hitting my

William Poaster

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:46:36 -0600, Mara wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:24:55 -0800, "WhzzKdd" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>In my case, the CAD program, DTP programs, etc. that I use on a daily
>>basis do not have Linux versions. And since I must maintain file
>>compatibility with my customers and suppliers, I've pretty much had to
>>rule out alternative software solutions.

> Have you tried running them under WINE lately?

There's also VMware, Crossover Office, Virtual Iron, Xen, etc...