Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > 2003 server evaluation versions

2003 server evaluation versions

Paul L

how does product activation work for evaluation versions of 2003 server?
Is it possible to install more than one copy of the evaluation version?
I bought the core requirements (70-290/291/293/294) set which comes with an
evaluation version, for some of the exercises more than one server would be
handy.
Basically asking if these evaluation versions work like the windows 2000
server ones where you can install them on several machines and reinstall
them.
Or, do they work like "real" versions.
Not a big problem as easy to get additional evaluation version copies.

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

Read the EULA that came with your copy--it will answer your question.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
"Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how does product activation work for evaluation versions of 2003 server?
> Is it possible to install more than one copy of the evaluation version?
> I bought the core requirements (70-290/291/293/294) set which comes with

an
> evaluation version, for some of the exercises more than one server would

be
> handy.
> Basically asking if these evaluation versions work like the windows 2000
> server ones where you can install them on several machines and reinstall
> them.
> Or, do they work like "real" versions.
> Not a big problem as easy to get additional evaluation version copies.

Paul L

thanks for reply
EULA (or rather the card with the software) just says for deployment and
planning purposes

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)

Hi Paul,
The EULA is the End User License Agreement that you have to agree to during
installation. If you have already installed a copy, you can search for
eula.txt

Unless I am mistaken (I haven't used an eval version in a while) the
evaluation EULA allows installation on up to 4 PCs.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
"Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uG$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thanks for reply
> EULA (or rather the card with the software) just says for deployment and
> planning purposes

Marlin Munrow

and it can be activated up to 8 times?

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 01:50:32 -0500, "Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP
\(Shell/User\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Paul,
>The EULA is the End User License Agreement that you have to agree to during
>installation. If you have already installed a copy, you can search for
>eula.txt
>
>Unless I am mistaken (I haven't used an eval version in a while) the
>evaluation EULA allows installation on up to 4 PCs.

Paul L

thanks, I should have thought of that. It says up to four copies at once and
permits installing on different machines if removed from one of the initial
servers.
Doesnt say how many times can be reactivated.
With the 2000 server evaluation version you could reinstall after the time
limit was up. I wonder if there is a need for people who are working on
courses to be careful to finish all of them within the 180 period as opposed
to finishing each one within that period. (Of course you can always just get
another evaluation copy, if worse comes to worse buy another book with one
in it ).

Consultant

no one reads those silly things, it slows down the install

"Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Read the EULA that came with your copy--it will answer your question.
>
> --
> Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
> Associate Expert
> http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
> "Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > how does product activation work for evaluation versions of 2003 server?
> > Is it possible to install more than one copy of the evaluation version?
> > I bought the core requirements (70-290/291/293/294) set which comes with

> an
> > evaluation version, for some of the exercises more than one server would

> be
> > handy.
> > Basically asking if these evaluation versions work like the windows 2000
> > server ones where you can install them on several machines and reinstall
> > them.
> > Or, do they work like "real" versions.
> > Not a big problem as easy to get additional evaluation version copies.

Zenner

Yeah! I've heard of that happening. It is such a waste to include those
instructions and help files. That's why Microsoft products are such
"bloatware". It is much easier to come to a site like this and have the
answers given to us without all the hassle of reading, research or thinking
about it. I wonder why anyone does that?

Some of us are too busy to spend hours looking for these obscure little
details. Come on Microsoft, buy a clue! You would think they would provide
some way to get this information with out so much work.

I never read that stuff.

"Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how does product activation work for evaluation versions of 2003 server?
> Is it possible to install more than one copy of the evaluation version?
> I bought the core requirements (70-290/291/293/294) set which comes with

an
> evaluation version, for some of the exercises more than one server would

be
> handy.
> Basically asking if these evaluation versions work like the windows 2000
> server ones where you can install them on several machines and reinstall
> them.
> Or, do they work like "real" versions.
> Not a big problem as easy to get additional evaluation version copies.

---