Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Email (gmail, MacMail) - delivery report (email opened/read)

Email (gmail, MacMail) - delivery report (email opened/read)

Elainie

Hello there,

It has always bugged me not being able to set my gmail or Mac mail to
provide me with a status/delivery report of the kind that informs me
whether the recipient has opened (and by consequence, presumably read)
the email.

I am sure that it must be possible, as I know that it is possible in
non-gmail and Mac mail programs; I just can't seem to make it work
here.

Does anyone know how to do this ?

Best regards,
Elainie

Whiskers

On 2007-01-22, Elainie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> It has always bugged me not being able to set my gmail or Mac mail to
> provide me with a status/delivery report of the kind that informs me
> whether the recipient has opened (and by consequence, presumably read)
> the email.
>
> I am sure that it must be possible, as I know that it is possible in
> non-gmail and Mac mail programs; I just can't seem to make it work
> here.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this ?
>
> Best regards,
> Elainie

Wise and sensible recipients of emails do not set their software to
automatically respond in any way, in view of the privacy and security
implications. So there is little point in trying to set up a request for
such responses.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Mike Easter

Elainie wrote:

> It has always bugged me not being able to set my gmail or Mac mail to
> provide me with a status/delivery report of the kind that informs me
> whether the recipient has opened (and by consequence, presumably read)
> the email.
>
> I am sure that it must be possible, as I know that it is possible in
> non-gmail and Mac mail programs; I just can't seem to make it work
> here.

The feature you are most likely speaking of is 'return receipt' or
'read' receipt.

Many mailuser agents have the feature of configuring to send a request
for such a receipt.

On the recipient's end, the recipient can configure to 'reply' or not
reply or to be notified of such a receipt so that they can selectively
reply or not. So in order for receipts to work, both ends have to be
configured to enable it.

Gmail's webmail doesn't have such a feature.

The other method of doing that is to enclose a 'web beacon'. If you
enclose a webbeacon and the recipient is configured insecurely, you can
determine that the recipient opened the mail and triggered the beacon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_tracking Email tracking is a method
for monitoring your email delivery to your intended recipient.

--
Mike Easter

Elainie

Very clever and very true, Whiskers.
Thanks for the clarification and link, Mike.
I had a look at the .readnotify.com (mentioned on Wikipedia) which
seems excellent (though potentially highly dubious - if it goes through
some pathway, does that allow the .readnotify.com to 'scan' the
contents of the email ?
I'm going to have to reasearch it a bit more, but many thanks.

Best wishes,
Elainie