Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Using USB stick

Using USB stick

Livewire

I am soon going to need to use computers in hotels and, maybe internet
cafes while I'm on holiday.

I want to keep stuff on a USB memory stick. Some of it is personal so I
want to encrypt it, ideally using a free program called Truecrypt.

Truecrypt is a "portable" program suitable for memory sticks. But it
requires the user to have administrator access to whatever computer it's
plugged into.

Am I likely to have admin access to computer in hotel foyers and internet
cafes? I suspect not!

sittingduck

Livewire wrote:

> I want to keep stuff on a USB memory stick. Some of it is personal so I
> want to encrypt it, ideally using a free program called Truecrypt.
>
> Truecrypt is a "portable" program suitable for memory sticks. But it
> requires the user to have administrator access to whatever computer it's
> plugged into.

Learn to use PGP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

old man

you wont have admin access

"Livewire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1c1z2g3v95yge.ixgtf7rt31qn$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am soon going to need to use computers in hotels and, maybe internet
> cafes while I'm on holiday.
>
> I want to keep stuff on a USB memory stick. Some of it is personal so I
> want to encrypt it, ideally using a free program called Truecrypt.
>
> Truecrypt is a "portable" program suitable for memory sticks. But it
> requires the user to have administrator access to whatever computer it's
> plugged into.
>
> Am I likely to have admin access to computer in hotel foyers and internet
> cafes? I suspect not!

doS

if you had admin access to all those pcs, you would not need the decrypt
program