Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Getting RAS to Work

Getting RAS to Work

Slarty Bartfast

This should be simple but I'm finding it very frustrating.
I have a test LAN with a Win2k DC with DHCP, a couple of workstations and a
stand-alone NT4 Server with a modem and RAS.
From another dialup line, I can dial in and authenticate, - and even get an
IP assigned - but I can't access the network. I have tried to dial-in using
Win98, Win2k, and NT4 workstations.
I have followed MS KBA 232511 to the letter as far as I can see, but getting
no-where.

Any suggestions please?

--

Regards

Slarty Bartfast

jen

Slarty Bartfast wrote:
> This should be simple but I'm finding it very frustrating.
> I have a test LAN with a Win2k DC with DHCP, a couple of workstations and a
> stand-alone NT4 Server with a modem and RAS.
> From another dialup line, I can dial in and authenticate, - and even get an
> IP assigned - but I can't access the network. I have tried to dial-in using
> Win98, Win2k, and NT4 workstations.
> I have followed MS KBA 232511 to the letter as far as I can see, but getting
> no-where.
>
> Any suggestions please?
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Slarty Bartfast

how are you validating logon and network resources?

<domain>\<username> i assume?

--
Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Slarty Bartfast

Hi Jen,

I'm using a 56k modem on a second phone line we have here. Ie; on the NT4
workstation, I installed a modem, RAS, and setup DUN. When I click on
'connect' I am presented with a logon screen asking for Username, Password
and Domain (of the test Lan). It connects, authenticates, gives me an IP
from DHCP. The next step is to create a computer account in the Domain, but
I get a message "Domain Controller for this Domain cannot be located". I
can't ping any IP in the Domain, or vice versa, I can't ping the dial-up PC
from the LAN - even though it seems to me that a successful connection to
the Domain has been made it's failing somewhere.

--

Regards

Slarty Bartfast

Andy Foster

"Slarty Bartfast" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> This should be simple but I'm finding it very frustrating.
> I have a test LAN with a Win2k DC with DHCP, a couple of workstations and a
> stand-alone NT4 Server with a modem and RAS.
> From another dialup line, I can dial in and authenticate, - and even get an
> IP assigned - but I can't access the network. I have tried to dial-in using
> Win98, Win2k, and NT4 workstations.
> I have followed MS KBA 232511 to the letter as far as I can see, but getting
> no-where.
>
> Any suggestions please?

Most likely IMHO is that you have done something wrong. Based on the
level of detail you have provided "I have followed MS KBA 232511 to
the letter as far as I can see", resolving the problem would be
trickier than building fjords.
My best suggestion would be to provide more detail - including (but
not limited to) ipconfig info for NT4 server and dial-up clients, and
how you've attempted to access the network (e.g. ping, tracert, UNCs,
etc.)

Marlin Munrow

The issue may simply be security

NT4 member servers running RRAS are a major security hole if they
work. Recommendation is only run RRAS on win2K otherwise you'll need
to allow any rogue dial in anonymous access to AD.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:14:57 +1100, "Slarty Bartfast"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This should be simple but I'm finding it very frustrating.
>I have a test LAN with a Win2k DC with DHCP, a couple of workstations and a
>stand-alone NT4 Server with a modem and RAS.
>From another dialup line, I can dial in and authenticate, - and even get an
>IP assigned - but I can't access the network. I have tried to dial-in using
>Win98, Win2k, and NT4 workstations.
>I have followed MS KBA 232511 to the letter as far as I can see, but getting
>no-where.
>
>Any suggestions please?

Slarty Bartfast

Hi Andy,

Here is some more info that may help, I hope.

I have a Win2k DC DHCP - not using WINS - which is irrelevant I think with
Win2k DC? However, I think not having WINS or LMHOSTS files may be the
problem.

NT4 Stand-alone server SP6
RAS Settings;
Access 'Entire Network'
'Use DHCP'
'Requires MS encryted authentication'
'Receive calls only'
Ether Nic: 10.0.0.3 mask: 255.0.0. Gateway: 0.0.0.0
PPP Adaptor: 10.0.0.14 mask: 255.0.0.0 Gateway: 0.0.0.0
I added NetBEUI after looking at KBA 243188 but it didn't help.

NT4 Workstation SP6 Dial-up Client
RAS Settings;
'Dial out only'
'Accept any authentication' - I changed this from MS authentication.
IP addressing after dialup;
Ether Nic: 0.0.0.0 mask: 0.0.0.0 Gateway: 0.0.0.0
PPP Adaptor: 10.0.0.13 mask: 255.0.0.0 Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Unique computer name
Member of workgroup - only after successful connection, computer account
needs to be made.

When I click 'connect' on the DUN, I get a logon screen;
Username:
Password:
Domain:

Modem message; "Dialling 9876543",
Message; "Verifying username and password" (if I use a User that does not
have 'dialin' enabled, it fails at this point)
Message; "Registering your computer on the network"
Then a screen comes up saying;
"You have successfully connected to the remote server. You may now use the
usual NT programs and utilities as if you were directly connected to the
network".

So far it looks hopeful. I receive an IP address, but can't ping the
network.

Curiously, in the Network Bindings, it says;
RAS is bound to WINS Client (TCPIP)
Remote access WAN Wrapper

Thanks if you take the time to look at this. I hope something obvious might
stand out.

--

Regards

Slarty Bartfast

Slarty Bartfast

Just an Addendum...
After I installed RAS, I felt I should re-install SP6 on the NT4 Server.
After I did that, I could at least ping the NT4 Server from the NT4 dialup
workstation, but not the rest of the LAN...
Just a bit further along...

--

Regards

Slarty Bartfast