Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > driver installation

driver installation

Bob B

My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
installing the software for her Canon scanner.

She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the Canon
Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the drivers to
be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both sets
can't be a problem so I suspect it is the security on the new computer that
might be preventing the software from being able to install. Norton's
security suite is also installed. Any suggestions please
Bob

Evan Platt

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:28:24 GMT, "Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
>installing the software for her Canon scanner.
>
>She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the Canon
>Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
>folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the drivers to
>be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both sets
>can't be a problem so I suspect it is the security on the new computer that
>might be preventing the software from being able to install. Norton's
>security suite is also installed. Any suggestions please

Disable Norton Security. Disable any other A/V. Disable any firewall.

What is the EXACT wording of the error?

Walter Mautner

Bob B wrote:

> My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
> installing the software for her Canon scanner.
>
> She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the Canon
> Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
> folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the drivers
> to be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both

First rename your copied-over canon folder (to get it out of the way for a
new install). Then, disable the virus scanner - not the firewall, unless
you pull the internet plug as well - and come back with the error message
you get, or/and what you see in event viewer (management - event viewer).
Btw., which type of scanner (usb, parallel)?

Ben Myers

Send her this link and tell her if she needs more help to send you the
model number of the scanner.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...upportIndexAct

Ben

"Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:cVtrh.64707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
> installing the software for her Canon scanner.
>
> She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the Canon
> Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
> folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the drivers to
> be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both sets
> can't be a problem so I suspect it is the security on the new computer that
> might be preventing the software from being able to install. Norton's
> security suite is also installed. Any suggestions please
> Bob

Bob B

Thank you for the replies..although I had previously used a UK link the
driver had the same version number

After the software is downloaded and unzipped the files gointo a Canon
folder.. now when you plug the scanner into the computer is recognises the
hardware immediately and then looks for the software. This I think is the
main problem..it reports it cannot locate the software.. I then manually
lead it to the Canon folder using the browse button and the wizard. It
quickly offers up the Canon folder which was on the desktop...all I should
have to do is click on "OK" but it is greyed out, in fact it is greyed out
whatever folder I mover the curser over. Somewhere there must be a box
ticked that stops this wizard from being active. Any ideas.

I did remove the connection to the Internet and even tho' the virus and
firewall was switched of it still wont find the driver software

Bob

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1bHrh.12564$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
Send her this link and tell her if she needs more help to send you the
model number of the scanner.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...upportIndexAct

Ben

"Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cVtrh.64707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
> installing the software for her Canon scanner.
>
> She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the Canon
> Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
> folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the drivers
> be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both sets
> can't be a problem so I suspect it is the security on the new computer
> that
> might be preventing the software from being able to install. Norton's
> security suite is also installed. Any suggestions please
> Bob

Ben Myers

Open the Canon folder in My Computer or Windows Explorer and see if
there is a "setup" or "install" file. If so, double-click it. If not, please repost
with more information, including the model number of the scanner.

Ben

"Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:AQPrh.65547$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for the replies..although I had previously used a UK link the
> driver had the same version number
>
> After the software is downloaded and unzipped the files gointo a Canon
> folder.. now when you plug the scanner into the computer is recognises the
> hardware immediately and then looks for the software. This I think is the
> main problem..it reports it cannot locate the software.. I then manually
> lead it to the Canon folder using the browse button and the wizard. It
> quickly offers up the Canon folder which was on the desktop...all I should
> have to do is click on "OK" but it is greyed out, in fact it is greyed out
> whatever folder I mover the curser over. Somewhere there must be a box
> ticked that stops this wizard from being active. Any ideas.
>
> I did remove the connection to the Internet and even tho' the virus and
> firewall was switched of it still wont find the driver software
>
> Bob
>

> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1bHrh.12564$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Send her this link and tell her if she needs more help to send you the
> model number of the scanner.
>
> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...upportIndexAct
>
> Ben
>
> "Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cVtrh.64707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
> > installing the software for her Canon scanner.
> >
> > She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the Canon
> > Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
> > folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the drivers
> > be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both sets
> > can't be a problem so I suspect it is the security on the new computer
> > that
> > might be preventing the software from being able to install. Norton's
> > security suite is also installed. Any suggestions please
> > Bob

Bob B

I had already done that... when you download and unzip the software from the
UK web site you get 4 disks numbered 1 - 4 number 1 is the toolbox and WILL
open and I can find the setup file to instal. Number 2 is the uninstal for
the toolbox and will NOT open. No 3 is the driver to get the computer to
communicate to the scanner and No. 4 the uninstal. 2 - 4 will not open and
say that there is a corruption or cannot find the programme to open them. I
have advised a my friend to get a new set of driver downloads from the USA
site..I will report back

Bob

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_I_rh.13022$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
Open the Canon folder in My Computer or Windows Explorer and see if
there is a "setup" or "install" file. If so, double-click it. If not,
please repost
with more information, including the model number of the scanner.

Ben

"Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AQPrh.65547$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for the replies..although I had previously used a UK link the
> driver had the same version number
>
> After the software is downloaded and unzipped the files gointo a Canon
> folder.. now when you plug the scanner into the computer is recognises the
> hardware immediately and then looks for the software. This I think is the
> main problem..it reports it cannot locate the software.. I then manually
> lead it to the Canon folder using the browse button and the wizard. It
> quickly offers up the Canon folder which was on the desktop...all I should
> have to do is click on "OK" but it is greyed out, in fact it is greyed out
> whatever folder I mover the curser over. Somewhere there must be a box
> ticked that stops this wizard from being active. Any ideas.
>
> I did remove the connection to the Internet and even tho' the virus and
> firewall was switched of it still wont find the driver software
>
> Bob
>

> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1bHrh.12564$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Send her this link and tell her if she needs more help to send you the
> model number of the scanner.
>
> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...upportIndexAct
>
> Ben
>
> "Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cVtrh.64707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
> > installing the software for her Canon scanner.
> >
> > She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the
> > Canon
> > Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
> > folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the drivers
> > be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both sets
> > can't be a problem so I suspect it is the security on the new computer
> > that
> > might be preventing the software from being able to install. Norton's
> > security suite is also installed. Any suggestions please
> > Bob

Bob B

All is now working ...must have been corrupted files from the UK Canon
site..Thank you for your help

Bob

"Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OOosh.71952$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> "Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:cVtrh.64707$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > My friend has just purchased a new XP computer but is having trouble
>> > installing the software for her Canon scanner.
>> >
>> > She lost the original CD with the drivers but was able to go on the
>> > Canon
>> > Web site and download the drivers. I have also copied across the Canon
>> > folder from her old XP computer. The new computer wont allow the
>> > drivers
>> > be installed saying they are either corrupt or cant be opened. Both
>> > sets
>> > can't be a problem so I suspect it is the security on the new computer
>> > that
>> > might be preventing the software from being able to install. Norton's
>> > security suite is also installed. Any suggestions please

Bob B

I have already replied but note because the site was down for a few days it
has not got through so here it is again

Bob