Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CPU, i believe is making a horrible noise advice needed

CPU, i believe is making a horrible noise advice needed

Tivo

Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.

I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?

curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years old

tia

brian

Whiskers

On 2007-01-17, Tivo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
>
> I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
> seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
>
> curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years old
>

> tia
>
> brian

I doubt if the CPU itself is making any noise. The cooling fan attached
to the heat-sink attached to the CPU may be noisy; they can and do wear
out.

When did you last blow through the heatsink with a can of compressed air?

Make sure that there are no cables fouling any of the fans.

Are you sure that the noise isn't coming from the hard disc? That could
indicate that the hard disc is in serious trouble - so back up everything
you want to keep!

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

totsob

Tivo wrote:

> Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
>
> I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
> seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
>
> curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years
> old
>

> tia
>
> brian

The processor doesn't make a sound. Possibly it is the cooling fan on top of
the processor. Other than that it would have to be something else another
fan or hard drive. Any other symptoms?

Rick Merrill

Tivo wrote:
> Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
>
> I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
> seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
>
> curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years old
>

> tia
>
> brian

I don't have to ask if you've backed up the disk drive, do I?

Tivo

only in the last 6 months.

you think he is going on spin cycle? lol because he is 6 months old.

i was curious where the sound was comming from,

i will do a backup now, my extra is only an 80 though, the thing is, i have
to pull the case, (tower) and it is in a very odd area. to throw it on a
slave and do it.

thanks

guys
gals.

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Tivo wrote:
>> Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
>>
>> I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
>> seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
>>
>> curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years
>> old
>>

>> tia
>>
>> brian

> I don't have to ask if you've backed up the disk drive, do I?

PeeCee

"Tivo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
>
> I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
> seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
>
> curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years
> old
>

> tia
>
> brian

Check each fan by stopping it rotating till you find the one causing the
noise.
Fans to look for are
Power supply, CPU, motherboard Chipset, Graphics card and of course case
fan(s).
Of these the Graphics card one is the one most folk miss as it is mounted
underneath the plug in card in a tower case.

Other possibilities are:
A hard drive with noisy bearings, backup quick, CD/DVD drive
Somewhat rarer but it has been known for motherboard switch mode voltage
regulators to vibrate at an audible frequency, this is usually loose
windings on the ferrite rings and can be stopped by touching the windings
with an insualted probe, a touch of glue will usually fix those.

best
Paul.

Tivo

thanks, i am going to back up the hard drive i have an extra but for the
life of me, i did all the fan things as you guys described and was smart
enough to check the graphics fan before i posted.

sometimes the noise goes away. it's like it is making 1000 copies on a copy
machine, so to be safe i will just back it up. i know it is systematic, so
maybe i should unplug the HD, with the power on and see if the noise stops?

just narrowing it down. thanks everyone for your help.

bri
"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:eom4vb$2gk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tivo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle, woosh woosh.
>>
>> I replaced the cpu fan, tried to listen and or unplug other fans and it
>> seems it is the processor. how can it make that sound?
>>
>> curious how to fix or is it on its last legs. it is an amd about 3 years
>> old
>>

>> tia
>>
>> brian

> Check each fan by stopping it rotating till you find the one causing the
> noise.
> Fans to look for are
> Power supply, CPU, motherboard Chipset, Graphics card and of course case
> fan(s).
> Of these the Graphics card one is the one most folk miss as it is mounted
> underneath the plug in card in a tower case.
>
> Other possibilities are:
> A hard drive with noisy bearings, backup quick, CD/DVD drive
> Somewhat rarer but it has been known for motherboard switch mode voltage
> regulators to vibrate at an audible frequency, this is usually loose
> windings on the ferrite rings and can be stopped by touching the windings
> with an insualted probe, a touch of glue will usually fix those.
>
> best
> Paul.

Whiskers

On 2007-01-17, Tivo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> thanks, i am going to back up the hard drive i have an extra but for the
> life of me, i did all the fan things as you guys described and was smart
> enough to check the graphics fan before i posted.
>
> sometimes the noise goes away. it's like it is making 1000 copies on a copy
> machine, so to be safe i will just back it up. i know it is systematic, so
> maybe i should unplug the HD, with the power on and see if the noise stops?

snip

Before you do that, make sure that your affairs are in order, and in case
you survive you may want to have a new computer set up ready to replace
the one you are just about write off.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Otter

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> On 2007-01-17, Tivo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> thanks, i am going to back up the hard drive i have an extra but for
>> the life of me, i did all the fan things as you guys described and
>> was smart enough to check the graphics fan before i posted.
>>
>> sometimes the noise goes away. it's like it is making 1000 copies on
>> a copy machine, so to be safe i will just back it up. i know it is
>> systematic, so maybe i should unplug the HD, with the power on and
>> see if the noise stops?

> snip
>
> Before you do that, make sure that your affairs are in order, and in
> case you survive you may want to have a new computer set up ready to
> replace the one you are just about write off.

Come on! He's only unplugging the HD, not the EHT of a CRT...

Tivo

LOL< i have a laptop, 2 towers sitting next to me.

i figured it out, it is the graphics cards fan. he doesnt like his ball
bearings after i blew him, with the can that is. not in the can. (sarcastic)

so let him go till next pay day and i will get a new one because it is only
64, i should shoot higher. then the game purchases begin again.

thanks alot guys.

ps: the tower is in a bad location, so it was har dto actually see the fan
but i got to it. thanks again
news:(E-Mail Removed)...