Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Router slow on 1 PC (repost)

Router slow on 1 PC (repost)

Mike

I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a cable
modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are so slow it
is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download speed is
normal. Have tried different cables, changing negotitation to 10/100 etc,
reset router and reinstalled via onboard lan drivers with no change.

The router setup menus thru IE6 on the imac all work normally whereas on
the PC they are very slow. Also, when running a tracert on the PC each leg
of the trace seems to be much slower than on the imac but it does eventually
resolve the url. Tried with ubuntu linux on the PC and get the same slow
response.

Mr. Arnold

Mike wrote:
> I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a cable
> modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are so slow it
> is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download speed is
> normal. Have tried different cables, changing negotitation to 10/100 etc,
> reset router and reinstalled via onboard lan drivers with no change.
>
> The router setup menus thru IE6 on the imac all work normally whereas on
> the PC they are very slow. Also, when running a tracert on the PC each leg
> of the trace seems to be much slower than on the imac but it does eventually
> resolve the url. Tried with ubuntu linux on the PC and get the same slow
> response.

It seems you have done everything but re-flash the router with the
firmware, which might fix your problem. Or go get a different router period.

Mr User

Mike wrote:
> I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a cable
> modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are so slow it
> is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download speed is
> normal. Have tried different cables, changing negotitation to 10/100 etc,
> reset router and reinstalled via onboard lan drivers with no change.
>
> The router setup menus thru IE6 on the imac all work normally whereas on
> the PC they are very slow. Also, when running a tracert on the PC each leg
> of the trace seems to be much slower than on the imac but it does eventually
> resolve the url. Tried with ubuntu linux on the PC and get the same slow
> response.

I assume you've switched router ports?
Have you tried connecting ONLY the PC without the iMAC?
Anyway, 1.5kB/s jeebus that's slow are you on dial-up?

It would appear you're router is the problem.

Mike

"Mr User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sK3rh.65562$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike wrote:
>> I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a
>> cable
>> modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are so slow
>> it
>> is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download speed is
>> normal. Have tried different cables, changing negotitation to 10/100 etc,
>> reset router and reinstalled via onboard lan drivers with no change.
>>
>> The router setup menus thru IE6 on the imac all work normally whereas on
>> the PC they are very slow. Also, when running a tracert on the PC each
>> leg of the trace seems to be much slower than on the imac but it does
>> eventually resolve the url. Tried with ubuntu linux on the PC and get the
>> same slow response.

> I assume you've switched router ports?
> Have you tried connecting ONLY the PC without the iMAC?
> Anyway, 1.5kB/s jeebus that's slow are you on dial-up?
>
> It would appear you're router is the problem.

yes
yes
That's 1.5 kBs or 1500 kbs
Since it works with the imac, I doubt it probably some incompatibility with
the onboard lan

Mr User

Mike wrote:
> "Mr User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:sK3rh.65562$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mike wrote:
>>> I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a
>>> cable
>>> modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are so slow
>>> it
>>> is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem download speed is
>>> normal. Have tried different cables, changing negotitation to 10/100 etc,
>>> reset router and reinstalled via onboard lan drivers with no change.
>>>
>>> The router setup menus thru IE6 on the imac all work normally whereas on
>>> the PC they are very slow. Also, when running a tracert on the PC each
>>> leg of the trace seems to be much slower than on the imac but it does
>>> eventually resolve the url. Tried with ubuntu linux on the PC and get the
>>> same slow response.

>> I assume you've switched router ports?
>> Have you tried connecting ONLY the PC without the iMAC?
>> Anyway, 1.5kB/s jeebus that's slow are you on dial-up?
>>
>> It would appear you're router is the problem.

> yes
> yes
> That's 1.5 kBs or 1500 kbs
> Since it works with the imac, I doubt it probably some incompatibility with
> the onboard lan

You say you used tracert what about a simple ping to your router?
TTL return times?

Anyway, 1.5kB/s as you put it is DAMN SLOW for example a V.92 Modem runs
at 56kb/s = 56/8 = 7kB/s (or in new notation 7KiB/s if you prefer).

So 1.5kB/s = 1.5 * 8 = 12 kb/s

8 bits = 1 Byte

Note: Both k and K can be decimal (1,000) or binary (1,024) hence the
invention of KiBi

I would recheck your methodology of testing your network speed!
I checked up on your router and it's a Broadband Router 4*10/100 with WAN.

Anyway, I digress ...
If iMAC works fine on all router ports
AND
PC does not work correctly on any ports
YET
PC works fine direct to your Modem
THEN
Yes, it would certainly seem a LAN card would be the next logical step
(they are cheap as chips).

Good luck

Mike

"Mr User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ybdrh.52103$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike wrote:
>> "Mr User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:sK3rh.65562$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I assume you've switched router ports?
>>> Have you tried connecting ONLY the PC without the iMAC?
>>> Anyway, 1.5kB/s jeebus that's slow are you on dial-up?
>>>
>>> It would appear you're router is the problem.

>> yes
>> yes
>> That's 1.5 kBs or 1500 kbs
>> Since it works with the imac, I doubt it probably some incompatibility
>> with the onboard lan

> You say you used tracert what about a simple ping to your router?
> TTL return times?

ping to router is <1msec

> Anyway, 1.5kB/s as you put it is DAMN SLOW for example a V.92 Modem runs
> at 56kb/s = 56/8 = 7kB/s (or in new notation 7KiB/s if you prefer).

Sorry it was 1500 kbs or 150 kBs

> So 1.5kB/s = 1.5 * 8 = 12 kb/s
>
> 8 bits = 1 Byte

+ 2 bits for overhead

> Note: Both k and K can be decimal (1,000) or binary (1,024) hence the
> invention of KiBi
>
> I would recheck your methodology of testing your network speed!
> I checked up on your router and it's a Broadband Router 4*10/100 with WAN.
>
> Anyway, I digress ...
> If iMAC works fine on all router ports
> AND
> PC does not work correctly on any ports
> YET
> PC works fine direct to your Modem
> THEN
> Yes, it would certainly seem a LAN card would be the next logical step
> (they are cheap as chips).
>
> Good luck

Bucky Breeder

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:9WUqh.157874$hn.18269@edtnps82:

> I have an imac and a Windows XP PC on a SMC 7004 router connected to a
> cable modem. The imac download speeds are 1-1.5kBs whereas the PC's are
> so slow it is unusable. If I connect the PC directly to the modem
> download speed is normal. Have tried different cables, changing
> negotitation to 10/100 etc, reset router and reinstalled via onboard lan
> drivers with no change.
>
> The router setup menus thru IE6 on the imac all work normally whereas
> on the PC they are very slow. Also, when running a tracert on the PC
> each leg of the trace seems to be much slower than on the imac but it
> does eventually resolve the url. Tried with ubuntu linux on the PC and
> get the same slow response.

First, blow your commo stack and reinstall it. If it's fubar'ed on Windoze
and SnowDuck you might want to change your NIC card - stay in the $20
range, (anything for less is crap and anything for more is likely
bullcrap).

--

If "God don't make any mistakes;" then,
why did He make it rain on the oceans?

Mr User

Mike wrote:
>> You say you used tracert what about a simple ping to your router?
>> TTL return times?

> ping to router is <1msec
>
>> Anyway, 1.5kB/s as you put it is DAMN SLOW for example a V.92 Modem runs
>> at 56kb/s = 56/8 = 7kB/s (or in new notation 7KiB/s if you prefer).

> Sorry it was 1500 kbs or 150 kBs
>
>> So 1.5kB/s = 1.5 * 8 = 12 kb/s
>> 8 bits = 1 Byte

> + 2 bits for overhead

Damn don't go there with frame/packet networks you can't just add 2 bits
for overhead <searches CSMA/CD>. If you can then linky please

Anyhoo, what a strange problem. Personally I'd swap out the NIC put in
another one with a new IP (Static IP and disable DHCP on the router) and
try again. Failing that being a somewhat lazy bugger I'd re-install the
OS and start afresh (only because I can do that in 10 mins mind).