Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drives not seen by PC

Hard drives not seen by PC

Vass

I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine

I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by his
PC

So I tried one as a slave and then as a Master and the Dll I have does not
recognise
there is a hard disc present.

I have tried booting with a start up floppy and tried to run scandisk but
the cmos simply does not know the drive is there.

Even booting to a Windows CD will not allow scandisk or any tool to see the
drive.

The same thing happens with his other HDD (they are both 40Gb Maxtor IDE's)

My Dell is setup for AUTO recognise hard discs.

I guess the hard drives have lost some info that allows them to be seen, I'm
confident jumbers are set correctly on them.

Any ideas how I can bring them back to life? I have no idea of their history
so do not know what might have happenned to them

TIA

--
Vass

philo

"Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45aa7fe9$0$8747$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine
>
> I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by

his
> PC
>
> So I tried one as a slave and then as a Master and the Dll I have does not
> recognise
> there is a hard disc present.

If you have two separate machines that cannot access the drives...
you may assume they are history!

With expensive lab work the data might still be retrievable...
but it's probably not worth it

bronco

"Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45aa7fe9$0$8747$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine
>
> I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by
> his PC
>
> So I tried one as a slave and then as a Master and the Dll I have does not
> recognise
> there is a hard disc present.
>
> I have tried booting with a start up floppy and tried to run scandisk but
> the cmos simply does not know the drive is there.
>
> Even booting to a Windows CD will not allow scandisk or any tool to see
> the drive.
>
> The same thing happens with his other HDD (they are both 40Gb Maxtor
> IDE's)
>
> My Dell is setup for AUTO recognise hard discs.
>
> I guess the hard drives have lost some info that allows them to be seen,
> I'm confident jumbers are set correctly on them.
>
> Any ideas how I can bring them back to life? I have no idea of their
> history so do not know what might have happenned to them
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Vass

You need to go in to the BIOS and do the autodetect for hard drives.

Vass

>>bronco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:45aa8515$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

> You need to go in to the BIOS and do the autodetect for hard drives.

miss this bit did you?
" My Dell is setup for AUTO recognise hard discs."

Intrepid Logic

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:16:40 -0600, philo wrote:

> "Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45aa7fe9$0$8747$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine
>>
>> I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by

> his
>> PC
>>
>> So I tried one as a slave and then as a Master and the Dll I have does not
>> recognise
>> there is a hard disc present.
>>

> If you have two separate machines that cannot access the drives...
> you may assume they are history!
>
> With expensive lab work the data might still be retrievable...
> but it's probably not worth it

For a less expensive solution google:

freezer "damaged hard disk"

this will give some results documenting the "freezer trick"

Gnasher

Have you tried CD (cable decides) mode?

Steve Freides

"Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45aa86af$0$8732$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>bronco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:45aa8515$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>> You need to go in to the BIOS and do the autodetect for hard drives.

> miss this bit did you?
> " My Dell is setup for AUTO recognise hard discs."

On some machines, the process of detecting newly added hard disks only
happens when you go into the BIOS and tell it to detect them. Sometimes
"AUTO" just means it will read the drive parameters instead of you
having to enter them manually. Certainly worth a try.

-S-

Vass

"Gnasher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> Have you tried CD (cable decides) mode?

yes, even tried slave mode with my working HD booting to XP, but doesnt as
CMOS stops boot at start complaining IDE not recognised
--
Vass

"Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45aa7fe9$0$8747$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a dell dimension that with a 20GB HDD just fine
>
> I have 2 hard drives from a freind that he cannot get to be recognisd by
> his PC

And what Exactly are those two drives ?.

Ben Myers

Maxtor has installation software available for download.

http://tinyurl.com/3nz9y

Ben