Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't get Linksys WPC54G notebook adapter to work

Can't get Linksys WPC54G notebook adapter to work

rachey@gmail.com

After a recent format and reinstall of XP, I can't seem to get my
wireless card to work in my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro A40).

I've tried installing/uninstalling all the different versions of the
drivers the Linksys site gives me with no success - it complains in the
software that the card is "inactive".

When I actually put the card in, XP recognises it as a "Network
Controller" but can't seem to find a driver for it, even when I
manually point it to the folder containing the unzipped driver files.

A Google search shows that this is quite a common problem but noone
seems to have a definitive solution..

Can anyone help?

TIA.
Rachel.

Martin Kallikak

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> After a recent format and reinstall of XP, I can't seem to get my
> wireless card to work in my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro A40).
>
> I've tried installing/uninstalling all the different versions of the
> drivers the Linksys site gives me with no success - it complains in the
> software that the card is "inactive".
>
> When I actually put the card in, XP recognises it as a "Network
> Controller" but can't seem to find a driver for it, even when I
> manually point it to the folder containing the unzipped driver files.
>
> A Google search shows that this is quite a common problem but noone
> seems to have a definitive solution..
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> TIA.
> Rachel.

Linksys used to have free 24/7 phone support (by Americans) that was pretty
good. Not sure if they still do. Worth a call to the old 1-800 number
anyway...

old man

After your format/install, you installed the Toshiba chipset and other Tosh
specific drivers?
The adapter would have been supplied with the drivers on CD, that way you
get the right ones.
Linksys also has phone support in the EU

rachey@gmail.com

old man wrote:
> After your format/install, you installed the Toshiba chipset and other Tosh
> specific drivers?
> The adapter would have been supplied with the drivers on CD, that way you
> get the right ones.
> Linksys also has phone support in the EU

I didn't get a CD with the laptop sadly as it's second hand - however I
have installed everything available on the Toshiba site for the laptop
- including chipset etc.

Might have to phone them I suppose.. the annoying thing is, I've
formatted before and it installed without a fuss!

Thanks,
Rachel

old man

Linksys only lists a single driver, v3.100.64.0 32.6mb

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

> old man wrote:
> > After your format/install, you installed the Toshiba chipset and other

Tosh
> > specific drivers?
> > The adapter would have been supplied with the drivers on CD, that way

you
> > get the right ones.
> > Linksys also has phone support in the EU

> I didn't get a CD with the laptop sadly as it's second hand - however I
> have installed everything available on the Toshiba site for the laptop
> - including chipset etc.
>
> Might have to phone them I suppose.. the annoying thing is, I've
> formatted before and it installed without a fuss!
>
> Thanks,
> Rachel

Kenny

Also check your firewall. Disable it, install the drivers then enable it.

--
Kenny Cargill

rachey@gmail.com

Kenny wrote:
> Also check your firewall. Disable it, install the drivers then enable it.

Just tried that and no change I'm afraid - am I right in saying, as
long as the pc is recognising that the card is inserted, it's not an
issue of Toshiba drivers?

Ta
Rachel

rachey@gmail.com

old man wrote:
> Linksys only lists a single driver, v3.100.64.0 32.6mb

Can you link me to that? When I go through the list of available
products to download files for, there's lots of entries for WPC54G,
with various versions?

Thanks
Rachel

old man