Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Compacting 5,000 Messages, Moving Them To A Google Account, And Burning Them Onto A CD

Reply
Thread Tools

Compacting 5,000 Messages, Moving Them To A Google Account, And Burning Them Onto A CD

 
 
Martin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Hello,

I have slightly under 5,000 e-mails that I must keep as they contain
information that I need to refer to from time to time.

Whenever I close my e-mail client (OE6 SP2) on XP Pro SP2, a box appears,
giving me the choice of compacting my messages in order to save space. I
always choose "no" as I'm not sure what compacting messages will do to my
ability to access them or even still have them.

Question #1: What does compacting messages do insofar as having/reading them
in the future?

Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google account.
If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not possible, can I burn all
messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how can that be accomplished? Please
note that I have Roxio Creator 5 that came with my system in early 2001 for
burning CDs. I don't have any software to burn a DVD.

As always, thank you very much for any and all replies. I have always found
this NG to be invaluable. Much appreciated!

Regards,

Martin


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Martin wrote:

> I have slightly under 5,000 e-mails that I must keep as they contain
> information that I need to refer to from time to time.


Back them up and use them in OE as a folder/file.

> Whenever I close my e-mail client (OE6 SP2) on XP Pro SP2, a box
> appears, giving me the choice of compacting my messages in order to
> save space. I always choose "no" as I'm not sure what compacting
> messages will do to my ability to access them or even still have them.


The compacting routines for OE are configured in OE/ Tools/
Options -Maintenance tab - Cleaning up messages section.

> Question #1: What does compacting messages do insofar as
> having/reading them in the future?


Tom Koch's site has a good discussion of the problems with compacting
and what compacting means
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact Compact Your OE
Folders - Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?

Compacting is both necessary and potentially 'dangerous' as an operation
which can lead to file corruption.

Any OE 'folder' of messages is actually a proprietary database file -
proprietary in that the mbox format of db items is compressed in a MS
proprietary scheme into a .dbx file. The compacting is the actual
removal of deleted messages from the db. Prior to compacting, the
deletions are actually still taking up space but 'invisible'.

> Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google
> account. If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not possible,
> can I burn all messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how can that be
> accomplished? Please note that I have Roxio Creator 5 that came with
> my system in early 2001 for burning CDs. I don't have any software to
> burn a DVD.


You can export and import messages and you can burn copies of the .dbx
files as described in the Tom Koch's backup information
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/ Backup and Restore - Do-It-Yourself
Backups



--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bucky Breeder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:NeQph.10071$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,
>
> I have slightly under 5,000 e-mails that I must keep as they contain
> information that I need to refer to from time to time.
>
> Whenever I close my e-mail client (OE6 SP2) on XP Pro SP2, a box
> appears, giving me the choice of compacting my messages in order to save
> space. I always choose "no" as I'm not sure what compacting messages
> will do to my ability to access them or even still have them.
>
> Question #1: What does compacting messages do insofar as having/reading
> them in the future?
>
> Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google
> account. If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not possible, can
> I burn all messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how can that be
> accomplished? Please note that I have Roxio Creator 5 that came with my
> system in early 2001 for burning CDs. I don't have any software to burn
> a DVD.
>
> As always, thank you very much for any and all replies. I have always
> found this NG to be invaluable. Much appreciated!
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin



In OE, compacting doesn't really affect the message itself; only how the
*.dbx files occupy space on the hard drive. I always use only "Remove
Messages" as opposed to "Delete" or "Reset" which preserves the stored
messages. However, recently M$ became aware of a very particular series of
events which when in place were followed by the compacting routine in OE,
some messages could get corrupted. I never had any of this happen, but they
created the recent fix, that now when you manually compact in OE's Tools >
Options > Maintenance > "Clean Up Now..." dialog, a backup of your .dbx files
are created in the Recycle Bin as *.bak files. To me, it's sort of useless;
but someone must appreciate it.

While I'm not nearly dealing with anything like 5,000 *.eml messages, I don't
use OE, or my mail servers, as caches for my saved or archived e-Mails.

When I need to save an e-Mail for future reference, I create a folder on one
of my data drives, and use File > Save As (and then navigate to the "Save
to" target location) on the message menu bar to save my message like I would
any other file. This already starts the catagorizing process. EX: M:\2006
_ACME.Contract.Negotiation\2006.03.17_1023AM_from. ACME_Bonus.Discount.eml --
and each subsequent response falls into order by date and time and subject.
I can rename folders and/or e-Mail files as need be, and when I'm not needing
them so much, I can RAR (or ZIP) them up, and only access the archives when I
need to. It sure makes the searching easy too, mainly because I can
substitute a more descriptive subject in the file's name than is usually
included in the e-Mail's Subject field. It also preserves the complete
electronic header information as well, so I can bring up the message source
and provide complete header information to resolve any differences of opinion
that the passage of time may evoke.

This also protects me from intrusions and e-Mail server crashes which could
corrupt my desired e-Mail database; which doesn't happen often, but it has
happened, and left me to reconstruct a series of events...

Of course, if I ever got to ~5,000 messages, having the system implemented
already would save me a bunch of time searching for a very specific event or
position.

--

ATTENTION: Anybody who is having an identity crisis
had better wise up quick - and get with the program!
 
Reply With Quote
 
dadiOH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Martin wrote:

> Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google
> account. If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not
> possible, can I burn all messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how
> can that be accomplished? Please note that I have Roxio Creator 5
> that came with my system in early 2001 for burning CDs. I don't
> have any software to burn a DVD.


Re Google...
There used to be a program that would make Google appear as a drive on
your PC to facilitate transfers to & fro. I don't recall the name of
it.

Re burning...
I think this is your best bet. If you want to access multiple emails
in the same manner as you do now in OE you'll have to export the
special format dbx files in which they are contained to your burning
program. To read, you would import (from CD) back to OE.

OTOH, if all you want is to be able to open and read an email, you
can...

1. Open your burning program
2. Tell it you want to make a data disc
3. Open OE
4. Select the emails you want. If all, use Ctrl + A to select all
5. Drag what you selected to the burning programs compilation window.
6. Burn away

When you want to read one of the emails on the CD, just insert the CD
and click on the email...OE will open it.


--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico



 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
Thank you to all who replied!

Based on your input, I now know how to manage approx. 5,000 e-mails.

Regards,

Martin


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have slightly under 5,000 e-mails that I must keep as they contain
>information that I need to refer to from time to time.
>
>Whenever I close my e-mail client (OE6 SP2) on XP Pro SP2, a box appears,
>giving me the choice of compacting my messages in order to save space. I
>always choose "no" as I'm not sure what compacting messages will do to my
>ability to access them or even still have them.


>Question #1: What does compacting messages do insofar as having/reading them
>in the future?


When you delete a message it leaves a space in the data file;
Compacting, means it removes the space and moves the messages together
(no gap).

>Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google account.
>If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not possible, can I burn all
>messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how can that be accomplished? Please
>note that I have Roxio Creator 5 that came with my system in early 2001 for
>burning CDs. I don't have any software to burn a DVD.


Just screwing around, I selected 100+ emails (CTL+A) right click and
found you have a forward option - forward them to your Gmail account.

I've never really used OE, you could end up sending one email with
5000 attachments. Might wanna test it first, as both forward options
want to send the emails as attachments.
--
http://www.pbase.com/tineke/sand_sculpture
 
Reply With Quote
 
hmmmm@hmmm.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:45a7e566$0$97229$892e7fe2
@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

> You can export and import messages and you can burn copies of the .dbx
> files as described in the Tom Koch's backup information
> http://www.insideoe.com/backup/ Backup and Restore - Do-It-Yourself
> Backups


won't TweakUI allow him to change the location of the OE db folders and
files to a more user friendly directory of his own creation?

I've always found that placing it into Documents and Settings meant
clicking through a half dozen sub-directories before you found it.
If you create a folder for it where you want, you'll back if up more often,
because every time you open Windows Explorer, it's size will smack you in
the face.
 
Reply With Quote
 
hmmmm@hmmmm.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:%2Uph.344$9B6.176@trnddc07:

> OTOH, if all you want is to be able to open and read an email, you
> can...
>
> 1. Open your burning program
> 2. Tell it you want to make a data disc
> 3. Open OE
> 4. Select the emails you want. If all, use Ctrl + A to select all
> 5. Drag what you selected to the burning programs compilation window.
> 6. Burn away
>
> When you want to read one of the emails on the CD, just insert the CD
> and click on the email...OE will open it.
>


Would that hold true for backing up Thunderbird, too?
 
Reply With Quote
 
hmmmm@hmmmm.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news8vgq25cmb6lmou4t12scrfs6tr3pbglan@
4ax.com:

> Just screwing around, I selected 100+ emails (CTL+A) right click and
> found you have a forward option - forward them to your Gmail account.
>
> I've never really used OE, you could end up sending one email with
> 5000 attachments. Might wanna test it first, as both forward options
> want to send the emails as attachments.


That could be quite a task, especially if there are large attachments (av
or doc/spreadsheet files attached to some of those e-mails. If you're
talking about a 100 mg or more database, that's going to be some kind of
forwarded mail. Be prepared to cook dinner while your e-mail server is
sending it, assuming it doesn't crash altogether.


The best option is to burn several CD's/DVD's of your folders on a regular
basis and backup the registry along with key OS directories, too (even
though a good imaging program like Acronis is better for a system backup).

I would also suggest either destroying old backups or password protecting
the backups with a 15 digit password. From what I understand, that's the
starting size of a password being uncrackable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
dadiOH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:%2Uph.344$9B6.176@trnddc07:
>
>> OTOH, if all you want is to be able to open and read an email, you
>> can...
>>
>> 1. Open your burning program
>> 2. Tell it you want to make a data disc
>> 3. Open OE
>> 4. Select the emails you want. If all, use Ctrl + A to select all
>> 5. Drag what you selected to the burning programs compilation
>> window.
>> 6. Burn away
>>
>> When you want to read one of the emails on the CD, just insert the
>> CD and click on the email...OE will open it.
>>

>
> Would that hold true for backing up Thunderbird, too?


Hell, I don't know. Probably...a mail reader is a mail reader. Try
it and see - you needn't burn a CD to try, just drag a bunch to a
folder on the HD.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Moving Estimate, Local Movers, Long Distance Moving, PackingSupplies, Storage Rental, Home Moving, Apartment Moving, Office Moving,Commercial Moving linkswanted ASP .Net 0 01-06-2008 04:45 AM
compacting error Dennis Firefox 4 04-28-2005 01:35 AM
Photo quality - onto paper or onto CD? Theseeker Digital Photography 8 10-04-2004 08:59 PM
Wise compacting help needed Yamamoto Computer Support 6 09-24-2004 05:27 PM
Compacting an MSAccess Database with ADO.NET code (C#) Timothy ASP .Net 1 01-02-2004 01:42 PM



Advertisments