Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell Optiplex GX150 boot problem

Dell Optiplex GX150 boot problem

Mortda

Can anyone advise as to wether or not this particular Dell desktop has a
special boot up disk(s) (Similar to the early compaqs) used to start up the
system after a new OS has been install, ie; on a new hard drive for
instance.
We have a problem after installng Windows 2000 (Have tried the standard
version and the pro version) that after installing the initial files and
going through the automatic reboot sequence it fails to load any further,
and has an error message: lOADING ERROR.

mortda

JOG

Hi Mortda,

Possibly a problem with the hard disk which may be corrupted.

On starting your PC try F12 (see the options available at the top left of
the screen) and if the DELL partition has not been removed during the intial
install, there should be a diagnostic option, run it again the HDD.

Kind regards

Joseph
http://uk.geocities.com/josephoget/a2z/ilo/

"Mortda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone advise as to wether or not this particular Dell desktop has a
> special boot up disk(s) (Similar to the early compaqs) used to start up
> the system after a new OS has been install, ie; on a new hard drive for
> instance.
> We have a problem after installng Windows 2000 (Have tried the standard
> version and the pro version) that after installing the initial files and
> going through the automatic reboot sequence it fails to load any further,
> and has an error message: lOADING ERROR.
>
> mortda

why?

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:28:28 +1300, Mortda wrote:

> Can anyone advise as to wether or not this particular Dell desktop has a

See manuals, Dell links below.

>special boot up disk(s) (Similar to the early compaqs) used to start up the

A recovery partition? They may have but we scrubbed every single PC with
our build. They either installed from floppy or BartPE CD.

>system after a new OS has been install, ie; on a new hard drive for
>instance.

Start with Dell support page,
http://support.dell.com/support/
Pick the model range, and enter the service tag / model info. It will
take you to the Dell downloads pages for Optiplex
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...OptiPlex&s=gen

> We have a problem after installng Windows 2000 (Have tried the standard

If these are the 3-4 year old black GX150's, Win 2000 works just fine on
these.

>version and the pro version) that after installing the initial files and
>going through the automatic reboot sequence it fails to load any further,
>and has an error message: lOADING ERROR.

Drive letters / CDROM or other bootable device is causing a problem.

It's assumed you are doing this manually and not a config script you can
control.

As it's rebooting you could try a boot floppy from www.bootdisk.com to
interrupt the process and see if you can see the HD / dirs / files okay.

This works okay, if you remove the floppy and reboot normally it should
continue to your error

You also didn't say much about partition sizes / format.

There are 2 hidden folder, I just can't recall the name of, it's the
boot files put on after the 1st part of the CD files copy.

$LS.BT or something similar, IIRC that's the 1st folders it looks at.

HAve you tried removing and non essential hardware.

Something that isn't Win 2000 does work or not.

> mortda

Me

Mortda

Thanks Jog & Why,
The info was just what I was looking for and
the help is very much appreciated.
Mortda

Dell GX150 lucky33 Computer Support 4 04-08-2007 01:06 PM
Dell Optiplex GX110 drivers Red Born And Bred Computer Support 6 09-23-2004 09:04 AM
dell optiplex gx260 starup problems Kevin King Computer Support 4 03-01-2004 10:40 AM
DELL GX260 Optiplex GC Computer Support 1 12-09-2003 11:19 AM
Re: Dell Optiplex GX1 case cover slightly out of alignment.... rte Computer Support 0 08-22-2003 01:57 PM

Advertisments