Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Out going email not working on Windows XP Pro

Reply
Thread Tools

Out going email not working on Windows XP Pro

 
 
williammaw@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
I installed a high speed line from my telephone company this afternoon
and I noticed that the out going email no longer works. It always
comes back with the message that the the server refused the
connection/password/bad greeting. The other functions like incoming
email and internet including web email are fine.

Could the internet connection have some thing to do with this?

Thank you in advance ...

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On 11 Jan 2007 20:18:39 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I installed a high speed line from my telephone company this afternoon
>and I noticed that the out going email no longer works. It always
>comes back with the message that the the server refused the
>connection/password/bad greeting. The other functions like incoming
>email and internet including web email are fine.


What is the EXACT wording of the error?

>Could the internet connection have some thing to do with this?


Yes.

But, you provided no details on the error.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:18:39 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Has Frothed:

> I installed a high speed line from my telephone company this afternoon
> and I noticed that the out going email no longer works. It always
> comes back with the message that the the server refused the
> connection/password/bad greeting. The other functions like incoming
> email and internet including web email are fine.
>
> Could the internet connection have some thing to do with this?
>
> Thank you in advance ...


New internet provider on the high speed line?

--
Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

COOSN-266-06-25794
 
Reply With Quote
 
williammaw@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Evan Platt wrote:
>
> Yes.
>
> But, you provided no details on the error.
>

Here's what I see on the AOL account:

An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
greeting: Cannot connect to SMTP server 205.188.159.185
(205.188.159.185:25), connect error 10060.

 
Reply With Quote
 
williammaw@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Meat Plow wrote:
>
> New internet provider on the high speed line?
>

No, it's an existing AOL account setup with MS Outlook. Has been
working fine before.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On 11 Jan 2007 20:45:51 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect
>greeting: Cannot connect to SMTP server 205.188.159.185
>(205.188.159.185:25), connect error 10060.


Sounds like your new ISP is blocking smtp traffic to any server but
their own.

Use the smtp server provided by your new ISP.
 
Reply With Quote
 
williammaw@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Evan Platt wrote:
>
> Sounds like your new ISP is blocking smtp traffic to any server but
> their own.
>
> Use the smtp server provided by your new ISP.
>

That appears to be the case, but why would they do that?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On 11 Jan 2007 21:23:19 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That appears to be the case, but why would they do that?


To prevent spam. You can't go and use open relays to send out a
barrage of spam.
 
Reply With Quote
 
williammaw@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Evan Platt wrote:
>
> To prevent spam. You can't go and use open relays to send out a
> barrage of spam.
>

Fair enough. Thanks ...

 
Reply With Quote
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:23:19 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) Has Frothed:

> Evan Platt wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like your new ISP is blocking smtp traffic to any server but
>> their own.
>>
>> Use the smtp server provided by your new ISP.
>>

> That appears to be the case, but why would they do that?


Cuts down spam.

--
Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

COOSN-266-06-25794
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP Going ... Going ... Not Gone Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 06-11-2010 01:41 AM
DebugView help not working on Windows XP X64 Pro and Windows 7 x64 (?) Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 4 08-11-2009 09:41 PM
OT: Windows XP: Going, going ... gone? OTHMAN MCSE 2 03-25-2008 04:45 PM
Windows 2000 Pro vs. Windows Xp Pro - Which is more Secure? Rob Computer Security 27 01-30-2005 10:23 AM



Advertisments