Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > caps lock coming on spontaneously

caps lock coming on spontaneously

GrandpaChuck

Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
to find that.

It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
instant messaging someone.

Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
it back to normal without having to shut down?
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Americans killed in Iraq as of January 7, 2007 is 3014. United Kingdom = 128 Other = 123.
Non-Mortal American casualties 46,880 as of December 02, 2006.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
As of January 8, 2007 it has been 1346 days since Bush while standing in front of the banner Mission Accomplished declared,
"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." IOW "Mission Accomplished."

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair Lewis

Only Moi

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 05:57:48 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
>typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
>lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
>the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
>completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
>help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
>helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
>answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
>to find that.
>
>It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
>instant messaging someone.
>
>Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
>it back to normal without having to shut down?

Boy I'm hardly a tech, (and I hate HP products with a passion), but
common sense (from living a long hard life) would tell me to try
another keyboard before I blame it on the PC.
It sure wouldn't take long to hook up another, and see if the prob
persists.

If it continues, I'd badger HP a lot harder than you did for an
answer.

GrandpaChuck

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 06:03:38 GMT, Only Moi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 05:57:48 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
>>typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
>>lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
>>the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
>>completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
>>help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
>>helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
>>answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
>>to find that.
>>
>>It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
>>instant messaging someone.
>>
>>Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
>>it back to normal without having to shut down?

>Boy I'm hardly a tech, (and I hate HP products with a passion), but
>common sense (from living a long hard life) would tell me to try
>another keyboard before I blame it on the PC.
>It sure wouldn't take long to hook up another, and see if the prob
>persists.

Kind of hard to do on a laptop. I guess I should have mentioned that
rather than assuming people would know that a HP Pavilion is a laptop.
Sorry about the confusion.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Americans killed in Iraq as of January 7, 2007 is 3014. United Kingdom = 128 Other = 123.
Non-Mortal American casualties 46,880 as of December 02, 2006.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
As of January 8, 2007 it has been 1346 days since Bush while standing in front of the banner Mission Accomplished declared,
"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." IOW "Mission Accomplished."

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair Lewis

Fred

"GrandpaChuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
> typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
> lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
> the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
> completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
> help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
> helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
> answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
> to find that.
>
> It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
> instant messaging someone.
>
> Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
> it back to normal without having to shut down?
> --

There is a bit of a thread here about that keyboard.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=57325
It may be a common fault.
One guy says, "You don't need to reboot to fix the problem, just hit the
SHIFT key repeatedly until Sticky Keys popup comes on your screen, then
click cancel. That will fix the reverse caps lock issue without rebooting."

rjdriver

"GrandpaChuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
> typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
> lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
> the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
> completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
> help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
> helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
> answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
> to find that.
>
> It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
> instant messaging someone.
>
> Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
> it back to normal without having to shut down?
> --
>
> Grandpa Chuck
> -τΏτ-
> ~

If it's under warantee, call HP back. Hopefully you'll get a more
sympathetic tech support person this time. The unit needs to go in for
repair or replacment. If it's not under warantee, use the method described
by Fred to get a round it. Or, if you don't think you'll ever have much
need for the caps lock key (mine has been deactivated for years to keep from
hitting it accidently), change it's function to something else with Key
Tweak ( http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/ )

Bob

..

The Old Sourdough

GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

snip

> Kind of hard to do on a laptop. I guess I should have mentioned
> that rather

You should have.

> than assuming people would know that a HP Pavilion
> is a laptop.

Assumptions can be fatal. There are also Pavilion desktops.

--
The Old Sourdough
theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

Mike Easter

GrandpaChuck wrote:
> Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
> typing as if the caps lock was on.

> how to get
> it back to normal without having to shut down?

<snippages>

bgmd - the keyboard inexplicably locks in Caps Lock mode, which can't be
terminated ... Has anyone else had the caps lock problem,

zefie - This is SHIFT or CONTROL lock. When it occurs, I press left
ctrl, left shift, right shift, right ctrl one at a time in that order to
"re-calibrate" the keyboard. Annoying, but works.

TouchTyper - BTW, I tried the fix for the Caps Lock problem of pressing
the Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys in sequence and it seems to work for me too

</snippages> http://www.talkshack.com/showthread.php?threadid=518

--
Mike Easter

GrandpaChuck

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 20:20:11 +1030, "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"GrandpaChuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
>> typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
>> lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
>> the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
>> completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
>> help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
>> helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
>> answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
>> to find that.
>>
>> It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
>> instant messaging someone.
>>
>> Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
>> it back to normal without having to shut down?
>> --
>>

>There is a bit of a thread here about that keyboard.
>http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=57325
>It may be a common fault.
>One guy says, "You don't need to reboot to fix the problem, just hit the
>SHIFT key repeatedly until Sticky Keys popup comes on your screen, then
>click cancel. That will fix the reverse caps lock issue without rebooting."

WOW!
How simple can an answer be?
This is fantastic.
Thank you so very much Fred.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Americans killed in Iraq as of January 7, 2007 is 3014. United Kingdom = 128 Other = 123.
Non-Mortal American casualties 46,880 as of December 02, 2006.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
As of January 9, 2007 it has been 1347 days since Bush while standing in front of the banner Mission Accomplished declared,
"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." IOW "Mission Accomplished."

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair Lewis

GrandpaChuck

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 06:42:13 -0500, "rjdriver"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"GrandpaChuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
>> typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
>> lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
>> the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
>> completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
>> help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
>> helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
>> answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
>> to find that.
>>
>> It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
>> instant messaging someone.
>>
>> Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
>> it back to normal without having to shut down?
>> --
>>
>> Grandpa Chuck
>> -τΏτ-
>> ~

> If it's under warantee, call HP back. Hopefully you'll get a more
>sympathetic tech support person this time. The unit needs to go in for
>repair or replacment. If it's not under warantee, use the method described
>by Fred to get a round it. Or, if you don't think you'll ever have much
>need for the caps lock key (mine has been deactivated for years to keep from
>hitting it accidently), change it's function to something else with Key
>Tweak ( http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/ )
>
> Bob

I thought about taking it in, but I have way too much on the hard
drives to be without it for even a day.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Americans killed in Iraq as of January 7, 2007 is 3014. United Kingdom = 128 Other = 123.
Non-Mortal American casualties 46,880 as of December 02, 2006.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
As of January 9, 2007 it has been 1347 days since Bush while standing in front of the banner Mission Accomplished declared,
"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." IOW "Mission Accomplished."

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair Lewis

Evan Platt

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 19:00:45 GMT, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I thought about taking it in, but I have way too much on the hard
>drives to be without it for even a day.

Well then the warranty's kind of useless huh?