Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Filling ink in HP Printer

Filling ink in HP Printer

Ardent

Hi Friends

My HP 3740 Deskjet indicated that the cartridges were running low in
ink and I got them (cartridges 27 (B&W) and 28 (Color)) filled up.

However the printer still shows that the cartridges are near empty.

I remember there were lot of discussions on the subject but cannot
recollect whether this model was mentioned.

I just want to know (1) whether this can be corrected and (2) will the
printer continue to use the ink in the cartridge in spite of the
warning?

Thanks for your time and attention

Archer

chuckieŽ

Possibly all you have to do is run the 'Align Cartridge' program, or
something of that ilk...luck...

Vanguard

"Ardent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Friends
>
> My HP 3740 Deskjet indicated that the cartridges were running low in
> ink and I got them (cartridges 27 (B&W) and 28 (Color)) filled up.
>
> However the printer still shows that the cartridges are near empty.

The printer remembers the serial number of the cartridge. When you put
it back, it is still the same serial number. One trick is to cycle
through 3 cartridges because apparently the printer won't remember more
than 3 serial number changes. There is another trick of taping over
some of the contacts on the cartridge, inserting, removing the tape,
reinserting, and doing again a 3rd time (basically you use one cartridge
so it looks to have 3 different serial numbers). Googling would turn up
how to cycle through serial numbers so the printer eventually accepts as
new your old cartridge.

You got them filled up. What does that mean? That YOU filled them? Or
that you took them to a store to get filled up? If a store, usually you
give them your cartridge and they give you a different one back that has
already been refilled. That way, you'll get a cartridge with a
different serial number. If you got back your old cartridge, you'll
have to figure out how to cycle through serial numbers.

Edward W. Thompson

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 06:26:11 +0530, Ardent <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Friends
>
>My HP 3740 Deskjet indicated that the cartridges were running low in
>ink and I got them (cartridges 27 (B&W) and 28 (Color)) filled up.
>
>However the printer still shows that the cartridges are near empty.
>
>I remember there were lot of discussions on the subject but cannot
>recollect whether this model was mentioned.
>
>I just want to know (1) whether this can be corrected and (2) will the
>printer continue to use the ink in the cartridge in spite of the
>warning?
>
>Thanks for your time and attention
>
>Archer

Just ignore the 'warning' it is really meaningless as it does not
represent the amount of ink in the cartridge and is based upon an
estimate based upon 'drops'. As others have said, you can mask
certain contacts between machine and cartridge or cycle through three
cartridges but that all seems to me more trouble than it is worth.

Ardent

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 07:41:23 +0000, Edward W. Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just ignore the 'warning' it is really meaningless as it does not
>represent the amount of ink in the cartridge and is based upon an
>estimate based upon 'drops'.

Thanks for the information. I was wondering whether the printer would
stop printing once the indicator showed empty, though the cartridge
was full of re-filled ink.

> As others have said, you can mask
>certain contacts between machine and cartridge or cycle through three
>cartridges but that all seems to me more trouble than it is worth.

Yes, I agree with you.

Thanks to others who also found time to respond to me.

Archer