Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is it worth upgrading

Is it worth upgrading

caroline

I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then have
256 of ram 2 x 128.
Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

Clangnuts

caroline wrote:
> I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then have
> 256 of ram 2 x 128.
> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

You could use it as a media server?

Clangnuts

Whiskers

On 2007-01-07, caroline <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then have
> 256 of ram 2 x 128.
> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

Give it the extra RAM and then use it to discover the joys of Linux )
(It probably won't be able to run Windows XP, and almost certainly not
Vista, and Windows 98 is no longer getting security fixes so it shouldn't be
used on the internet - but up-to-date Linux should run nicely on it).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Evan Platt

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:33:15 GMT, "caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
>I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then have
>256 of ram 2 x 128.

Well, what is 128 * 2?

>Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

Not really.

Buy a new computer.

Peter in New Zealand

Hello. I have an older Compaq Deskpro running a 450 Mhz CPU with 256 Meg
RAM, which is the max it can take. It originally had W98SE on it, which I
dumped. I threw out the 3 Gig drive and replaced it with an 8 Gig bought
second hand for a very few bucks and installed Win2K. It has MS Office 2K on
it, runs Firefox and Thunderbird, and all the games my grandson loves. It
can also deal comfortably with my digital pics and so on.

OK, there's some things it obviously won't do. The point is that, as far as
general internet and office type work are concerned it's a great machine.
And games? Well, if you don't mind games that are one generation out of
date, it works just fine. I have a real screamer of a machine I built
recently with all the bells and whistles, but frankly, apart from a few
recent games, I prefer to use the older machine, mainly because it's so
quiet, whereas my lovely new screamer is just that when all six fans get
wound up in a game of Doom 3.

Hope this is helpful. I guess the moral is new is not always better,
depending on what you want to do with it.

Cheers,
--
Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and

"caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L1boh.12102$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then

have
> 256 of ram 2 x 128.
> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

philo

"caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L1boh.12102$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then

have
> 256 of ram 2 x 128.
> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

Adding more ram won't hurt anything...
but what makes you want to add more?

win98 usually runs pretty well with 128 megs

Jerry Attic

"caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:L1boh.12102$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then
> have 256 of ram 2 x 128.
> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

No, considering the price of new PCs.

Jerry

Listen to Pete!

"caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L1boh.12102$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then
> have
> 256 of ram 2 x 128.
> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

Parko

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:33:15 +0000, caroline wrote:

> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

Limited only by your imagination really.

a) Give it to a poor student.
b) Try upgrading to XP. It can be done apparently.
c) Install Puppy/DSL (both Linuxeses) and play.
d) Use it as a dedicated firewall using Smoothwall.
e) Use it as some other kind of dedicated appliance.
f) It would make a nice boat anchor.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

roach

"caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L1boh.12102$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then
> have
> 256 of ram 2 x 128.
> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

use it as a mame machine

roach