Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Toshiba notebook shuts down

Toshiba notebook shuts down

ACP

I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that has
started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
sometimes while just sitting idle.

When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
warning messages, no nothing, just dead.

Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
fine for a while.

My first inclination is a hardware problem.

Any other thoughts?

Evan Platt

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, "ACP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that has
>started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
>sometimes while just sitting idle.
>
>When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
>warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
>
>Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
>shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
>fine for a while.
>
>My first inclination is a hardware problem.
>
>Any other thoughts?

Anything in the event log?

Is the battery 2 years old?

Is this while on AC power or battery?

Meat Plow

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:

> I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that has
> started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
> sometimes while just sitting idle.
>
> When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
> warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
>
> Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
> shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
> fine for a while.
>
> My first inclination is a hardware problem.
>
> Any other thoughts?

Cooling fan(s) running?

COOSN-266-06-25794

ACP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, "ACP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that
>>has
>>started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
>>sometimes while just sitting idle.
>>
>>When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
>>warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
>>
>>Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
>>shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
>>fine for a while.
>>
>>My first inclination is a hardware problem.
>>
>>Any other thoughts?

> Anything in the event log?
>
> Is the battery 2 years old?
>
> Is this while on AC power or battery?

Nothing in the event log

Running on AC power

Battery is two years old

ACP

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:
>
>> I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that
>> has
>> started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
>> sometimes while just sitting idle.
>>
>> When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
>> warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
>>
>> Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
>> shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
>> fine for a while.
>>
>> My first inclination is a hardware problem.
>>
>> Any other thoughts?

> Cooling fan(s) running?

> COOSN-266-06-25794

Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust bunnies.
I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating is a good
possibility.

Meat Plow

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:23:50 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:
>>
>>> I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that
>>> has
>>> started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
>>> sometimes while just sitting idle.
>>>
>>> When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
>>> warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
>>>
>>> Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
>>> shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and works
>>> fine for a while.
>>>
>>> My first inclination is a hardware problem.
>>>
>>> Any other thoughts?

>> Cooling fan(s) running?
>>

>> --
>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
>>
>> COOSN-266-06-25794

> Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust bunnies.
> I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating is a good
> possibility.

Just cleaned the cooler on my son's Intel box. Took the temp down a good
20F.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Ben Jones

"ACP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:
>>
>>> I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A75 notebook, WindowsXP Home, that
>>> has
>>> started shutting down of it's own accord. Sometimes while using it,
>>> sometimes while just sitting idle.
>>>
>>> When we see it shut down it's like the power was just disconnected, no
>>> warning messages, no nothing, just dead.
>>>
>>> Hit the power button and away it goes, sometimes warning of incorrect
>>> shutdown procedure, sometime just rebooting directly to Windows and
>>> works
>>> fine for a while.
>>>
>>> My first inclination is a hardware problem.
>>>
>>> Any other thoughts?

>> Cooling fan(s) running?
>>

>> --
>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
>>
>> COOSN-266-06-25794

> Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust
> bunnies. I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating
> is a good possibility.

My tosh does that too....it's when the fans get clogged up and it shuts down
to save itself from frying. Turn it upside down, vacuum out the fans and it
should be okay. It will clog up again so vacuum it again every often! I find
proping the back end up when it's in use helps too, because that's where the
fans are.
Ben

Meat Plow

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 01:21:32 +0000, Ben Jones Has Frothed:

> "ACP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>>> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:

>>> Cooling fan(s) running?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
>>>
>>> COOSN-266-06-25794

>> Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust
>> bunnies. I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating
>> is a good possibility.

> My tosh does that too....it's when the fans get clogged up and it shuts down
> to save itself from frying. Turn it upside down, vacuum out the fans and it
> should be okay. It will clog up again so vacuum it again every often! I find
> proping the back end up when it's in use helps too, because that's where the
> fans are.
> Ben

I own an HP ze5568 notebook that has 3 fans I blow the fans and ducts
out once a month.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Fred

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 01:21:32 +0000, Ben Jones Has Frothed:
>

>> "ACP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...

>>> Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust
>>> bunnies. I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating
>>> is a good possibility.

>> My tosh does that too....it's when the fans get clogged up and it shuts
>> down
>> to save itself from frying. Turn it upside down, vacuum out the fans and
>> it
>> should be okay. It will clog up again so vacuum it again every often! I
>> find
>> proping the back end up when it's in use helps too, because that's where
>> the
>> fans are.
>> Ben

> I own an HP ze5568 notebook that has 3 fans I blow the fans and ducts
> out once a month.

But does your HP shut down by itself occasionally because of the dust in
fans? Just asking because I know of an HP that does this sometimes, and
I've never been able to find the cause - hadn't thought of cooling.

Frosty

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:43:03 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Meat
Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>, cocked his hammer and shot:
>On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:23:50 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:
>

>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>>> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:54:02 -0500, ACP Has Frothed:

>>> Cooling fan(s) running?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
>>>
>>> COOSN-266-06-25794

>> Cooling fans are running but were pretty well clogged up with dust bunnies.
>> I've cleaned those and we'll see what happens now. Overheating is a good
>> possibility.

>Just cleaned the cooler on my son's Intel box. Took the temp down a good
>20F.

I just cleaned out the dust in my wife's box but she's STILL hot!