Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless network not connecting

Wireless network not connecting

F&C

I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
over a cable, the other wireless).

But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.

I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?

When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
itself up.

PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
equipment is working fine.

Evan Platt

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:52:13 +1000, F&C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
>over a cable, the other wireless).
>
>But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
>wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
>
>I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
>
>When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
>perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
>itself up.
>
>PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
>equipment is working fine.

You specified no details about the laptop or the router, so we can
only guess...

Are the protocols on the router the same as on the laptop
(802.11a.b/g/n)?

Is the router set to "Disable SSID broadcast"?

If neither of these help, details would help - make / model of router,
make / model of laptop, etc.

Meat Plow

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:52:13 +1000, F&C Has Frothed:

> I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
> over a cable, the other wireless).
>
> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
>
> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
>
> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
> perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
> itself up.
>
> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
> equipment is working fine.

Set up the SSID in both the router and laptop. Usually the router
broadcasts SSID by default but they may have been disabling that in newer
equipment for obvious reasons.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Just Me

I once had that problem. The quickest thing to do is call the company
(probably in India) and get some help. You could save 4 hours doing that.

"F&C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:459ef2bb$0$29330$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one over a
>cable, the other wireless).
>
> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
>
> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
>
> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
> perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
> itself up.
>
> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
> equipment is working fine.

Fred

"F&C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:459ef2bb$0$29330$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one over a
>cable, the other wireless).
>
> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
>
> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
>
> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
> perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
> itself up.
>
> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
> equipment is working fine.

Is new router password protected to stop any unwanted wireless users?

Senti

Fred wrote:
> "F&C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:459ef2bb$0$29330$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>> I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one over a
>> cable, the other wireless).
>>
>> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
>> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
>>
>> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
>>
>> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
>> perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
>> itself up.
>>
>> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
>> equipment is working fine.

> Is new router password protected to stop any unwanted wireless users?

If it was just password protected, the network would still be broadcast
so the laptop should still be able to see it. It would just be asked
for the password when it tried to join it.

Senti

F&C wrote:
> I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
> over a cable, the other wireless).
>
> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
>
> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
>
> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
> perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
> itself up.
>
> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
> equipment is working fine.

Since Evan and Meat covered the general stuff, I'll jump to incredibly
specific:

If you're laptop is an Intel-based Mac (Macbook or Macbook Pro) and your
router is a LinkSys WRT54GS, then the issue may be caused by a recent
LinkSys firmware update. In which case you have to revert to the older
firmware.

Fred

"Senti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Fred wrote:
>> "F&C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:459ef2bb$0$29330$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>>> I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
>>> over a cable, the other wireless).
>>>
>>> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
>>> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
>>>
>>> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
>>>
>>> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
>>> perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
>>> itself up.
>>>
>>> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
>>> equipment is working fine.

>> Is new router password protected to stop any unwanted wireless users?

> If it was just password protected, the network would still be broadcast so
> the laptop should still be able to see it. It would just be asked for the
> password when it tried to join it.

Of course - sorry, must have been dreaming.

Mr. Arnold

F&C wrote:
> I have a new router, which serves the internet to two computers (one
> over a cable, the other wireless).
>
> But when I try to connect my laptop to it (the laptop has a built in
> wireless adaptor), it cannot find any wireless networks.
>
> I click "refresh" but still it can't "see" the router. Why is this?
>
> When I connected the other computer to the wireless network, it worked
> perfectly. I didn't have to do anything... it found the router and set
> itself up.
>
> PS, this laptop has connected to other wireless networks, so all the
> equipment is working fine.

I suggest you post to alt.internet.wireless, where you can also get help.

F&C

ok it is fixed now, thanks all